First Impressions Of Yr 11 Chem...Not good (1 Viewer)

thrash4life

HSC
Hi everybody,

Just having my first few Chem. lessons for Yr 11 and i have to say im pretty bored by em. The stuff we do in class is boring and i don't get it. I had a geeze though my Chem. text book and the content doesnt look like it would interst me. I will try to give it a chance by learning the content.

Before when i was choosing subjects i was tossing up between this and physics. But now after looking at the practice HSC physics papers, looking at my friends' Physics text books, i feel like doing that.

I just wanna know is there any variety between the topics in Chemistry, if the course gets more interesing along the way, and if i should just keep the subject and see if i start to like it.

ANY help is appreaciated =]

twilight1412

HSC
brief break down on hsc chem
extensive carbon chemistry
electrochemistry (batteries)
nuclear chemistry
extensive topic on acids
and then an extensive topic on pollution and monitoring/managing pollution
+
your elective

K

katie_tully

If you dont get prelim chem basics, you're not going to understand hsc concepts dude.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
thrash4life said:
Hi everybody,

Just having my first few Chem. lessons for Yr 11 and i have to say im pretty bored by em. The stuff we do in class is boring and i don't get it. I had a geeze though my Chem. text book and the content doesnt look like it would interst me. I will try to give it a chance by learning the content.

Before when i was choosing subjects i was tossing up between this and physics. But now after looking at the practice HSC physics papers, looking at my friends' Physics text books, i feel like doing that.

I just wanna know is there any variety between the topics in Chemistry, if the course gets more interesing along the way, and if i should just keep the subject and see if i start to like it.

ANY help is appreaciated =]
If your not motivated, you wont go good in Chemistry.
I forgot what we did in Year 11 Chemistry untill i tutored this class 2 weeks ago.

Year 11 course is pretty dull.
Year 12 course has more interesting things.

However if your need motivated..... it wont matter.

Hysterik

HSC
I hated Year 11 Chem at first, did fairly badly but kept it up because I couldn't drop it halfway through the year. Then, I started to love it, and it's now one of my favourite subjects... It really picks up after about a term or so. Think seriously about it, I nearly dropped Chem and picked up Bio but I've stuck with it and it's paying off. But if you really hate it then there's really no reason to stay.

bubbly89

HSC
With pretty much all my subjects I had a love hate relationship, one day I'd be like "omg physics is da bomb" while other days English advanced did it for me.

I think what did annoy me about physics was that they gave us these equations to work out how the world worked only to say "yeah but it only happens this way in lab conditions, not in the real world" I felt there was pretty much no point to it.

So in that way I did like Chem more, but it is really a personal thing

If you're planning on heading down the uni pathway in science/something sciencey related you probably should keep Chem. Most science degrees have a Chem prereq. (rather then phys/bio... who knows) so in that way its the most useful.

But again always bridging courses if you need em.

Chem is more writing words, while physics is more calculations

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
i absolutely hated the prelim chem course its sooo boring and i failed my prelim chem got like 52% hahaha the highest was 70 sumthin i think
but yea u do gota know the basic stuff to understand hsc chem like moles, intermolecular forces, etc.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Like rooeys, I hated prelim chem. I think my average for the year was a fail. Still, I did year 12 chem and things picked up a lot. It got more interesting, we had a better teacher, and my marks picked up heaps.

It helps to have done prelim chem, but at a pinch, you'd be able to do yr 12 chem by itself; it's fairly self-contained. That's probably why my marks picked up.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Ooooooh, Com'on... It's not that bad.

The naming parts are boring. The bondings are boring. Metals are boring. But you can't say that Water and Energy are rubbish. They are way so good!

SpoonSamba

HSC
yr 11 chem is stupid, but the pracs are fun.

in yr 11 chem the only stuff you need to remember for hsc chem is types of bonding, intermolecular forces, understand electronegativity, periodic table patters (not vital but definitely help) and everything on moles, LEARN YOUR MOLES.
Everything else is completely unrelated to hsc chem so dnt bother learning it cos ist boring anyway.

hsc chem is much more fun atm we're doing titrations which is mad, but it depends on what u like.

But chem is hard. I wish someone had told me this before i did it cos i really didnt think it would be. But i enjoy it. But yeh u have to work consistenly and make sure u understand the stuff i listed ebefore starting hsc chem cos i dnt relaly and its liek such a bitch.

i duno if this helped...

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
thrash4life said:
High school chemistry is terribly boring. Chemistry at university is so much better in every way. If you are interested in chemistry in anyway, definately keep it and do some courses at uni. It is really worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)