First round interview offers (1 Viewer)

Vincania

HSC
Hi,

I'm a year 12 2012 student and recently screwed up a major English Adv exam (worth 30% of my school mark :( ) so hopes of a 99+ ATAR have been demolished.

I heard somewhere that when Universities send out their first round of interview offers, they only look at your UMAT mark? (seeing that the ATARs don't come out until well after this 1st round is over)

Is this true? And if so, which University? I really want to get in at UWS or UNSW.

Thanks!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
They look at UMAT and your school's ATAR estimate.

Dylanamali

HSC
All universities send out interview offers before ATARs are released.. they do this based upon a "Predicted ATAR Form" completed by the Principal.

And don't give up on 99+ ATAR, internals only affect your assessment mark - so just aim for a high rank and smash your externals and you could easily still obtain 99+. This is coming from a person who got 70% in their Adv Eng trials which were worth 30%.. and it wasn't english that prevented me from getting 99+, but rather mx2.

Vincania

HSC
Thanks for the replies.
Is there any chance of getting an interview at UWS with say, a 95 UMAT and 97 ATAR estimate?
I'm not giving up just yet but I'm preparing for the worst at the moment.. thanks for the encouragement :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the replies.
Is there any chance of getting an interview at UWS with say, a 95 UMAT and 97 ATAR estimate?
I'm not giving up just yet but I'm preparing for the worst at the moment.. thanks for the encouragement :)
Lol, of course you will.
And at UWS the umat and atar are cut-off, so it's all up to your interview at that stage.

Vincania

HSC
Oh, and @Dylanamali ,
When you say aim for a high rank, doesn't that mean doing well in your internal? I don't get how you can stuff up an assessment mark and still get a high rank :/

Dylanamali

HSC
Oh, and @Dylanamali ,
When you say aim for a high rank, doesn't that mean doing well in your internal? I don't get how you can stuff up an assessment mark and still get a high rank :/
Because you've only done one assessment, so you can still achieve a high rank, based on the 70% of the course..
You also have all your other subjects which you still need to aim for a high rank.
Stuffing up 30% of 200% isn't going to prevent you a 99.

For UWS, get a 95+ estimate from principle, finish with a atar above 93.55 for GWS or 95.5 gor non-GWS, and atar of 145+ weighted UMAT 1:1:0.5

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh, and @Dylanamali ,
I got =25th/102 in English for a task weighted 25% and I ended up coming 9th/101 (someone dropped out or something?) and came first externally.
Stop yo fussen.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Oh, and @Dylanamali ,
As long as you are ranked well and don't fuck up your HSC exams, it shouldn't be a problem.
I had like a 40% internal mark for 2U, but because I was ranked quite well (5/10) in the class (read, our maths class was retarded) that 40% raw got scaled to a 75. That's still not a brilliant mark, but you know.

Basically, if the top few students in a class all get a low internal mark but a good external mark, it is interpreted as that school having seemingly harder exams, and the internal mark is then scaled up.

Last edited:

Vincania

HSC
I go to Fort Street High School and I'm ranked about 60 out of 150 kids, would I be able to get a high band 5/low band 6 with this?

Also, I'm elegible for a GWS application for UWS.. What would the ATAR requirement roughly be for me?

Thanks for all the replies!

Dylanamali

HSC
93.55 for GWS, if you go fortstreet.. your top 60 should all get band6's in adv eng.. so don't worry.
You should also get 99+, if you work relatively hard.

The ATAR cut-off shouldn't be what your worrying about.. 95+ is preety easy, especially if you go to a top 20 school.. the UMAT is what separates everyone.

Vincania

HSC
I'm just hearing all these stories about people getting super high ranged ATARs and mid 90's UMAT and not doing med in either UWS/UNSW.. an this really scares me.

Is the 93.55 a definite cut off? or is it just where they start accepting people... eg. 90 spots and top 90 who have the ATAR above 93.55 get an interview?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm just hearing all these stories about people getting super high ranged ATARs and mid 90's UMAT and not doing med in either UWS/UNSW.. an this really scares me.

Is the 93.55 a definite cut off? or is it just where they start accepting people... eg. 90 spots and top 90 who have the ATAR above 93.55 get an interview?
Mid 90s is fine for UMAT, especially at UWS.
They probably just failed the interview because they're basement Asians.

They will tell you the cut-off for 2013 later this year, but for 2012 they told us last year and it was 93.55 for UWS.
Nah, they focus more on UMAT, so they always predetermine the ATAR cutoffs and the UMAT cutoffs change depending on applicants.

Dylanamali

HSC

At UWS - 93.55 was the definite cutoff, for your year it shouldn't rise, or if it does it should be minimal. In saying that, for UWS, the ATAR acts as a threshold - that is, once you surpass the atar cut off they no longer consider it and only choose applicants based on interview and UMAT score. At UWS, the UMAT is weighted 1:1:0.5, that is section 3 has less weighting so they put more emphasis on performance in sections 1 and 2. You'll need a weighted score of approx 145+.

At UNSW - to be competitive I'd say you'd need a 98.5+ ATAR and a 90th percentile + UMAT. For this university, both ATAR and UMAT are considered - where in, the higher your ATAR, the less your UMAT needs to be and vice versa.

If you know people were are getting 99+ ATARs and 95 UMAT percentiles and not making med, then they are poor at interviewers and probably lack basic social skills and the ability to communicate.

IMO, don't stress too much about the ATAR, at your school and with your subjects you should achieve 95+ with ease., the UMAT is what distinguishes students, as many people surpass the ATAR thresholds particularly at UWS and UNCLE/UNE.

If you'd like more information go to medstudentsonline.

I think I deserve rep for this :O

Vincania

HSC
Repped!

Yeah I just found out about that site last night.... gave me so much hope hahaha..

okay well I've got my answer thread can be locked thanks a lot for the replies

delian

HSC
N/A
Interview is very important, so even if you get a lower than 99 ATAR, you still have a good chance.

Don't give up yet.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, The first round of UWS interview offers are based on the predcited ATAR Form. The interview is what ultimately then decides whether or not the applicant will be given an offer. For more information on the admission requirements for the UWS MBBS program, please contact the Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 or study@uws.edu.au. You can also visit www.uws.edu.au/medicineBest regards, UWS Course Info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)