• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First year history units (1 Viewer)

rebeccalbanks

HSC
I'm starting my BA/Dip Ed this semester (FINALLY! Worst gap year ever!) and I want to do one education, one french and one history unit. Only problem is that I'm torn between 3 different history units.
AHMG101: Greek Heroes and Heroines: From Achilles to Zorba

AHIS110: Rome: From Republic to Empire

AHIS170 - Egyptian Archaeology: An Introduction

So if anyone has done any of these and can tell me any more about them that'd be great.

Thanks!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I'm starting my BA/Dip Ed this semester (FINALLY! Worst gap year ever!) and I want to do one education, one french and one history unit. Only problem is that I'm torn between 3 different history units.

So if anyone has done any of these and can tell me any more about them that'd be great.

Thanks!
I have taken ahis170 and ahis110 and a lot of my friends have taken ahmg101 so this is just my opinion on what the units are like.

I have heard a lot of bad things about ahmg101, from both students that have taken it and tutors who have taught it. Theres a lot more modern history than ancient history studied and apparently the lecturer has a very thick Greek accent and can be difficult to understand. That said the ancient content is pretty interesting, apparently it's just the modern aspect that gets very boring.

ahis110 was awesome, i loved every second of this unit. Usually this is taken by Tom Hillard who is an amazing lecturer but when i did it we had Peter Keegan, who was still very good. Tom is meant to get really into it, i've heard that when you learn about urban violence he simulates a roof tile exploding someones head using a watermelon. The prosopography major assignment is quite a bit of work but gives you a good introduction to proper research skills.

ahis170 was a bit sucky for me cuz i'm not too into Egyptian history. All the info is presented in a really methodical manner which makes it easy to study for at the end of semester (the exam is pretty easy btw). Just be prepared to study pots, tons and tons and tons of pots. Expect to do a hell of a lot of readings every week and one cool thing is that you get to be hands on with the artifacts in tutorials, which i liked a lot. However, when i did this unit it was painfully disorganised. We had about 5 different lecturers who went through everything very differently and there was zero communication between the lecturers and tutors, or even between different tutors. This resulted in a lot of people getting seriously screwed in the major assignment.

If i was to choose one i would go with ahis110 or ahis170, maybe they have improved the organisation of ahis170 since i took it.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Personally I'm doing AHIS170 because I want to major in Egypt/Near East. So that's what I based it on. I'm considering doing 110 as an elective but am a bit weary that doing 2 history units could be a lot of work.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Personally I'm doing AHIS170 because I want to major in Egypt/Near East. So that's what I based it on. I'm considering doing 110 as an elective but am a bit weary that doing 2 history units could be a lot of work.
Nonsense *looks at his 4 history units* you'll be fine!

Vote goes to AHIS110, but I'm a Roman historian so I'm a bit biased :p

Fake-Name

HSC

Thanks!
Is this your undergraduate?
How come I couldn't find any of these on the Maq website?

Fake-Name

HSC

Thanks for the links!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I still don't understand how majors and minors work.

Would it be possible to do an undergraduate in:
Bachelor of Arts - Ancient History (Egypt & the middle east)
and
AHIS170:Egyptian Archaeology: An introduction

at the same time?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Thanks for the links!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I still don't understand how majors and minors work.

Would it be possible to do an undergraduate in:
Bachelor of Arts - Ancient History (Egypt & the middle east)
and
AHIS170:Egyptian Archaeology: An introduction

at the same time?
Thats ok, the only way to get informed is to ask!

To complete a major all you have to do is complete the particular majors unit (subject) requirements. Here are the unit requirements for Egypt and the Near East:

Requirements for the Major:

Completion of a minimum of 24 credit points including the following prescribed units:
Credit points- 100 level

Required 6cp from

AHIS139 - AHIS199

Credit points-200 level

Required 6cp from
AHIS240 - AHIS299

Credit points-300 level

Capstone Unit: Egypt and the Near East (3cp)
AHIS399

Required 9cp from
AHIS340 - AHIS398

TOTAL CREDIT POINTS REQUIRED TO SATISFY THIS MAJOR

So, if you want to major in Egypt and the Near East you would have to accumulate a minimum total of 24 cp following the unit level requirements. Since all AHIS units are worth 3cp (credit points) you would need to take the following:

2 100 level units (3cp)
2 200 level units (3cp)
1 300 level capstone unit (3cp)
3 300 level units (9cp)

= 24 cp

you know which ones you are allowed to take from the given unit code parameters eg: AHIS240 - AHIS299 means you could take any of these:

Since 'AHIS170:Egyptian Archaeology: An introduction' is between AHIS139 - AHIS199 then yes, you can take it as part of your major. Does this make sense?

Last edited:

Fake-Name

HSC
Thats ok, the only way to get informed is to ask!

To complete a major all you have to do is complete the particular majors unit (subject) requirements. Here are the unit requirements for Egypt and the Near East:

Requirements for the Major:

Completion of a minimum of 24 credit points including the following prescribed units:
Credit points- 100 level

Required 6cp from

AHIS139 - AHIS199

Credit points-200 level

Required 6cp from
AHIS240 - AHIS299

Credit points-300 level

Capstone Unit: Egypt and the Near East (3cp)
AHIS399

Required 9cp from
AHIS340 - AHIS398

TOTAL CREDIT POINTS REQUIRED TO SATISFY THIS MAJOR

So, if you want to major in Egypt and the Near East you would have to accumulate a minimum total of 24 cp following the unit level requirements. Since all AHIS units are worth 3cp (credit points) you would need to take the following:

2 100 level units (3cp)
2 200 level units (3cp)
1 300 level capstone unit (3cp)
3 300 level units (9cp)

= 24 cp

you know which ones you are allowed to take from the given unit code parameters eg: AHIS240 - AHIS299 means you could take any of these:

Since 'AHIS170:Egyptian Archaeology: An introduction' is between AHIS139 - AHIS199 then yes, you can take it as part of your major. Does this make sense?
Yes, that's perfect!
Thanks for all of that!
I'll rep!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)