Food Technology Marathon (question and answer) (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
-Advances in technology
-Concern for environmental and animal welfare
-Local, national and global issues and events
-an increased knowldege and need of healthy and nutritous products

what are the advantages of sous vide packaging?

Kaatie

HSC
1st and 3rd ones were right but other two were
- the need for companies to grow and prosper
-consumer expectations

the advantages are that the package is:
-easily opened
- lightweight
-low in cost
-transparent
-easily stored
-used when reheating the food

the control of food labelling focuses on what three categories

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
-words which must appear on a label
-words which must not appear on labels
words which may appear on a label, due to various cricumstances

compare primary and secondary packaging

Kaatie

HSC
primary packaging is the pack in which the food is sold to the consumer
secondary packaging is the shrink wrap, carton or bag holding several similar primary packaged items together, it also refers to the bulk cartons used by retailers tat hold many single items.
For example a package of apple juice may have 6 25mm cartons shrink wrapped together.

name 6 types of plastic and their uses.

Schoey93

HSC
Q: Name 6 types of plastic and their uses.

A: 1. Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET): often used for soft drink bottles and food packaging.
2. High Density Polyethylene (HDPE): normally used to make containers for household chemicals, such as bleach, shampoo and washing up liquid.
3. Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC): Used for packaging sheet, wire and cable insulation, windows, film and credit cards.
4. Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE): Highly flexible yet strong, this plastic is often used for film, e.g. carrier bags, refuse bags and heat sealed non-rigid containers.
5. Polypropylene (PP): used for ice cream tubs, margarine tubs and yoghurt pots.
6. Polystyrene (PS): normally used for (plastic) cutlery, vending cups, foam egg cartons, food packaging trays, CD cases and protective packaging.

I found a really good website to help answer this question.

The Problem with Plastic

Next question: Define POLICY and LEGISLATION, and explain the difference between these terms.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Policy is overall philosophy of the Gov’t on an issue. Legislation is laws passed by Gov’t on all levels eg. Food Act 2003. The difference being a policy is an ideal that is to try and be achieved while a piece of legislation is one that must be followed.

describe in detail 3 preservation processes.

Kaatie

HSC
yeah i saw that but he than why would he be asking year 12 questions already? maybe he is just preparing very very early

Kaatie

HSC
canning- conventional canning involves two preservation principals:
1. The sealed container prevents miro-organisms from reaching the food inside
2. The heating of the food inside the container creates a temp that will destroy all micro-organismsand their spores. When buying cans in the supermarket the ends of the cans should be slighltly concave, indicating a vacuum inside. If one of the ends bulges there could have been 1. microbial action 2. physical action or 3. chemical actions

Pasturisation - Refers to a specific type of heat treatment of a food, the process will either kill all specific heat sensitive micro-organisms or simply reduce the number present to an acceptable level. However this process does not completely sterilise the food. The most common method today is HTST used on milk. Another important process used in preserving milk is UHT processing.

Chilling - Chilling slows the growth and activity of enzymes and the growth of micro-organsims. It is prob the most often used preservative method for storing perishable food. The lower the temp the slower the chem changes occur in the food ad the slower the microbial growth happens. Cooling of food has various effects on micro organisms. Chilling or cooling a food has no effect on the no. of bacteria present.

Are food additives really necessary? why?

Schoey93

HSC
No, food additives are not necessary. Food can be produced without additives, may taste better and fresher this way, and can simply be given a shorter shelf life. People would buy the food quicker as it is likely it would taste fresher and be more enjoyable to eat, so the food would not go off while still resting on the shelf. With food additives, there is also a danger that people may have an unknown allergy to certain food additives, and as any mother of misbehaved children would tell you, food additives can cause children to be hyperactive and behave badly.

I'm sticking to Food Manufacture for the next question, which comes from the 2005 HSC Exam Paper - I have modified to make it a bit more relevant for Australians.
Next question: Identify one [Australian] manufactured food product and describe the process that transforms the raw materials into the manufactured food product.

(I suggest Vegemite but you can do whatever you like.)

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC
yeah i saw that but he than why would he be asking year 12 questions already? maybe he is just preparing very very early
I just like cooking, and I find the HSC Food Technology course quite easy! I'm going to try to do a BA (Philosophy)/MBBS [Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery] @ UNSW, so Food Tech might not be an option when I need 99.5 UAI! :D

So I'm just enjoying helping you guys out and having some fun and learning along the way! I am in Year 10, btw, that's right Michael.

Please answer my question Katie or anyone else, if you haven't already. :)

Next question: Identify one [Australian] manufactured food product and describe the process that transforms the raw materials into the manufactured food product.

Last edited:

Kaatie

HSC
damn i wish i started reading over the courses in all that spare time in year ten. ummmm havent done that yet did a little on raw product from milk to ice cream but cant remember it :S. so ill have to let marquelle do it, cant think of one off the top of my head

Schoey93

HSC
That's cool. It seems like only you, Michael (that's marcquelle's name btw...see his custom title) and I are posting in this thread? I thought there were THOUSANDS of '09 Food Tech students out there!

I might be doing Food Technology for the HSC, I'm thinking of doing one "relief subject" - I was going to doing Modern History, but as you can see I've changed it to Drama in my sig. They're both good courses for developing your language and communication skills [Drama and Modern History], which is very important for when you give clinical examinations as a G.P. Obviously you have to be able to explaim things clearly and effectively, which is a skill I believe I am close to mastering, but doing English Extension will be quite testing.

*waiting for Michael's reply* ;)

Schoey93

HSC
Mi chiamo James! Non lo so perché sto parlando in italiano!

Edit: (My name is James! I don't know why I am speaking Italian!)

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Next question: Identify one [Australian] manufactured food product and describe the process that transforms the raw materials into the manufactured food product.[/quote]

Bi-Lo home brand potato chips.

This product involves harvesting of the product and its grading intially. Once the food product has reached its food processing plant it undergoes multiple calue adding procedures.
1, The potatoes are once again graded and then washed, rinsed, dried, and peeled, washed and dried again. (this process may last 3 hours)
2, Once the potatos have been cleaned, they are prepared in the desired manner, in this case thick cut. The potatoes are placed on a conveyer belt and are taken through large automated machines and are cut to the specified size [that are put in the machine].
3, individuals are placed at the end of the machine watch and remove any of the products which are not cut or are scrap cuts and are removed and placed into waste bins filled with acidulated water to prevent oxidation browning,[ these pieces are then recycled as instant mash potato]. The left over potato that has been cut continue of the conveyer belt to a large deep frying vat.
4, These potato pieces are then cooked til theyh are 3/4 done.
5, The potato is then removed from the vat by a large automated machine. They are left to drain for 7 minutes.
6, The potato chips are then dried using a dry air machine to ensure that 75% of the residual oil is removed.
7, The potato chips are then feed into a machine that snap freezes them to maintain cell structure.
8, These are then fed into a different machine, which feeds them into preregulated batches. These are then placed in a bag by a feeder. This bag is then sealed using a map packaging. And are placed into a cooler/ cooler truck and are shipped to the retail outlet.

Wow big question but heres another question.

Explain how technology has impacted on employment opportunities and careers
in the Australian food industry. Use TWO appropriate examples to support your
answer. [4 marks] 2003 paper

yeah i agree that this forum is deserted, i only know of 3 people on bos who are ft for the HSC this year,

Kaatie, Fayee and I. Quite annoying, but food tech is always smaller course.
Yay school starts in 2 days

Kaatie

HSC
genetic engineering - careers for scientists (biologists/chemists)
development of new food products - careers and e/o for food technologists

i had no idea how to elaborate :S....

discuss how the AFI can negatively impact the environment

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
genetic engineering - careers for scientists (biologists/chemists)
development of new food products - careers and e/o for food technologists

i had no idea how to elaborate :S....

discuss how the AFI can negatively impact the environment
50% of the Australian farmland require treatment, these farmlansa use synthetic chemicals ( (2500+ chemicals). When these chemicals are used they can many side effects on the evironment such as leaching into the water table and contaminating water supply, such as nitrate run-off into the local water supply. Land exhaustion during the sowing of soil, this can lead to eroision, or salinty. During the manufacturing sector the transportation of raw food products to the manufacturing plant the use of the fossil fuels contribute to Enhanced Green House effect. Although the effects of carbon emissions happens within all sectors of the agri-food chain, but is most prevelant within the transport between the Agriculture & Fisheries and Food Manufacture sector. Although these environmental impacts occur many strategies have been put in place to combat these.

Evaluate the Nutrition Policy in regards to its practice in the sectors of the AFI. (i.e. is it working within the sectors)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)