Food Technology Marathon (question and answer) (1 Viewer)

Kaatie

HSC
there is nothing in my textbook about the nutrition policy and how it is working in the sectors :S it just outlines what it is

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
ok well look at like this, the nutrition policy impacts on all the sectors:
-Ag and Fisheries; organic vs nutritional modified foods eg have extra vitamins and minerals
-Food Manufacture; do less addition of sugars salts etc
-Food Retail; have healthier options eg maccas and health food stores
-Food Service and Catering; same as above
This shows the impact the nutrition policy has through out teh AFI causing teh development of new products or me too products.

what is the purpose of the trade policy?

Kaatie

HSC
to eliminate trade barriers by reducing tariffs, raised quotas and eliminating subsidies.

thanks for the help on the other question.

What are the 8 environmental design considerations?
oh and when is your half yearly? if mine if before yours i could scan mine for you and vise versa?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
have no idea to your question :What are the 8 environmental design considerations?

um week 9, is when mine is on, but with have an assignment that we should we get tommorrow which will be due in week 5.

Kaatie

HSC
ohok i dnt get my assignment until next week and its not due until next term and my half yearly isnt until next term so cant help you with either of those. Would you be able to scan me your half yearly once you get it back? i can still scan mine once i do it for practise for hsc if you want?

the 8 considerations are
-composition
-probable size of market
-design changes
-avoidance
-re-use
-recycling
-degradability
-disposals

give general info on paper bags and examples of products packaged in them

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
ok agreed then. I'm going to get copies from school of past ones and i can add those as well when i get them.

Paper Bags:
-it is the oldest form of packaging used
-provides protection for UV and Dust
-has no rigid structure
-comes in a variety of forms eg waxed, unwaxed

Products that may be packaged in them include:
-Lollies
-Flour
-Sugar
-Powder mixes
-Rice

Identifty the advangtages of LDPE as a form of packaging

Kaatie

HSC
-assessment of hazards
- idenification of critical control points
-set standards at each control point
-control point monitoring
-clear advise about procedural changes to ensure standards are met
-recording of operations/standards to track variations
-supervision and checking

What are the two main policies of the govt that affect the AFI?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
The National Nutrition and Health Policy and the Trade policy

briefly outline a raw material identifying 6 examples

Kaatie

HSC
a raw material is any product that goes into the manufacture of another processed good
examples include:
- product ingredients such as fruits and vegetables
- Processing materials such as steam and water
- Food additives such as emulsifiers, starches, colours and flavours
-Packaging materials such as cans, bottles and fibreboard containers.

What is a food manufacturer? Give 5 examples and what is the general aim of food manufacturers

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
A food manufacturer is a company that produce and sell products for comsumption. They may be on a large scale:
-Coca-Cola-Amital
-Starburst
-Pascall
-Woolworths
or on a smaller scale
-a bakery

the general aim of a food manufacturer is to prepare and market food that is safe for consumption and have a shelf life that is appropriate for the product.

Identify 6 additives by name and number and give a general outline for its use

Kaatie

HSC
Ascorbic acid 300 - an anti-oxidant (preservative) and is added to prolong the shelf life of a product by preventing oxidation, which can cause racidity and severe colour changes. Also added to some fruits to prevent the discolouration caused by oxidation, used in products such as frozen cooked prawns, margarine and edible fats
Caramel 150 - a colour (colouring agent) and is derived from coal or oil and i used in a food product to either restore colour lost during processing or to enhance the physical appearance of the food used in foods such as confectionery, jellies, jams and soft drinks
Silicon dioxide 551 - an anti-caking agent (texture modifier) and is added to powdered products to ensure that no clumping occurs and the product flows freely, used in products such as salt, polished rice and beverage whitener

briefly describe the clean air act, clean waters act and noise pollution act

Schoey93

HSC
Ascorbic acid 300 - an anti-oxidant (preservative) and is added to prolong the shelf life of a product by preventing oxidation, which can cause racidity and severe colour changes. Also added to some fruits to prevent the discolouration caused by oxidation, used in products such as frozen cooked prawns, margarine and edible fats
Caramel 150 - a colour (colouring agent) and is derived from coal or oil and i used in a food product to either restore colour lost during processing or to enhance the physical appearance of the food used in foods such as confectionery, jellies, jams and soft drinks
Silicon dioxide 551 - an anti-caking agent (texture modifier) and is added to powdered products to ensure that no clumping occurs and the product flows freely, used in products such as salt, polished rice and beverage whitener

briefly describe the clean air act, clean waters act and noise pollution act

Clean Air Act - prevents bacteria and other organism from being released into the air and settling in non-value-added food products.
Clean Waters Act- keeps the waters used in production and manufacture of food safe and clean, free from any bacteria, or water-borne viruses.
Noise Pollution Act (this doesn't relate to Food Tech really, but mmm OK) - regulates the use of stereos and items which produce a distinct lous noise. Prevents people from overusing stereos, radios or televison sets. Prohibits people from adjusting the volume to an unacceptable level to prevent the cilia (hairs on the inner ear) laying down flat in persons, causing them to become hard of hearing or possiblly deaf. Also allows old folk to get a good night's sleep and some beauty sleep in the morning - certain levels of noise are permitted at certain times. ;)

James.

Next question: Which new food products are most likely to be succesful in the marketplace?

(A) Me-too products
(B) Manufactured products
(C) New-to-world products
(D) Line extension products.

Identify which of the above products is the best answer to the aforementioned question, then describe what that product type is, giving three examples.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Clean Air Act - prevents bacteria and other organism from being released into the air and settling in non-value-added food products.
Clean Waters Act- keeps the waters used in production and manufacture of food safe and clean, free from any bacteria, or water-borne viruses.
Noise Pollution Act (this doesn't relate to Food Tech really, but mmm OK) - regulates the use of stereos and items which produce a distinct lous noise. Prevents people from overusing stereos, radios or televison sets. Prohibits people from adjusting the volume to an unacceptable level to prevent the cilia (hairs on the inner ear) laying down flat in persons, causing them to become hard of hearing or possiblly deaf. Also allows old folk to get a good night's sleep and some beauty sleep in the morning - certain levels of noise are permitted at certain times. ;)
Yes this actually does and you have the wrong section of the act that we focus on, we look at how it relates to during the processing of foods.

Answer:
Noise Pollution Act 1975 (NSW)
- applies to the production of noise during food processing
-enforced by EPA
-establishments that contribute or cause noise pollution must use a noise-control equipment such as sound dampening insulation such as carpet.
-this act also applies to within an establishment, if an establishment emits noise over a certain level they must provide employees with sound PPE

Next question: Which new food products are most likely to be succesful in the marketplace?

(A) Me-too products
(B) Manufactured products
(C) New-to-world products
(D) Line extension products.

Identify which of the above products is the best answer to the aforementioned question, then describe what that product type is, giving three examples.
not up to this unit yet sorry, so i really don't want to get that far ahead maybe during the holidays :D so instead:

The percentage of Australian farmers now participating in organic farming has increased in recent years. Outline the advantages and disadvantages of organic farming.

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC
Yes this actually does and you have the wrong section of the act that we focus on, we look at how it relates to during the processing of foods.

Answer:
Noise Pollution Act 1975 (NSW)
- applies to the production of noise during food processing
-enforced by EPA
-establishments that contribute or cause noise pollution must use a noise-control equipment such as sound dampening insulation such as carpet.
-this act also applies to within an establishment, if an establishment emits noise over a certain level they must provide employees with sound PPE

not up to this unit yet sorry, so i really don't want to get that far ahead maybe during the holidays :D so instead:

The percentage of Australian farmers now participating in organic farming has increased in recent years. Outline the advantages and disadvantages of organic farming.
Please answer my aformentioned question. However, you may simply select the answer from the multiple choices. Thank you!

James

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)