Food Technology Marathon (question and answer) (1 Viewer)

Kaatie

HSC
Much like other threads already made but for food tech for a change. Ill ask a question and someone else answers it and then ask a question for the next person? I hope people join in lol.

Question: What are the four sectors of the AFI (thought we would start off easy)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Agriculture & Fisheries, Food Manufacture, Food Retail, Food Service & Catering

what is the difference between policy and legislation?

Kaatie

HSC
A policy is a course of action taken by the govt on an important issue and legislation is a law passed by parliament.

What are the four levels of operation?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
The levels of operation are:
-Micro/household
-Small/Speciality
-Large Business
-Multinational and TNCs
[franchises are included in small, large and multinational with no clear disticnt boundary]

what are the impacts on the food industry on society and the environment [3 examples of each shall suffice, no need for long explanations i think]?

Kaatie

HSC
environment: long term damage to the environment due to chemicals and land clearing includes soil salinity, soil acidification and erosion
society: the majority of people spend 60-90% of their income on food, eating patterns of Australians have changed dramatically over the past 40yrs, consumers have a responsibility of making healthy food choices

not sure that was what you were asking, do correct me if i am wrong.

Divide Australia's policies and legislations into government, state and local.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yeah close enough but remember things like- society: obesity, household structure as well

big question but here they are basically, no details

policy~local
-self regulation policies
-hygiene policies

policy~national and state
-health and nutrition policy and its sub policies
=trade policy
-business oppurtunities policy
[all alter slightly for each state]

legislation~local
-council regulations
-native awareness legislation in some areas/regions

legislation~state
-Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997
-Fertilizers Act 1985
-Fisheries Management Act 1994
-Trade Measurement Act 1989
-Fair Trading Act 1987
-Occupational Health and Saftey Act 2004
-Clean Air Act 1961
-Clean Waters Act 1970
-Noise Pollution Act 1975
-Food Act (NSW) 2003

Legislation~NAtional
-Food Standards Australia New Zealand Act 1991
-Gene Technology Act 2001
-Dairy Produce Act 1986
-Imported Food Control Act 1992
-Export Control Act 1992
-Fisheries Management Act 1991
-Trade Practices Act 1974 (Commonwealth)

I think that should do

what are the advantages and disadvantages of each level of operation, stating 3 examples of each?

Kaatie

HSC
household level
adv: can have a loud voice through their professional associations, more flexibility, can use oversupply of raw products to make other foods,
dis: seasonal nature of their raw product supply is troublesome due to limited storage facilities, small-scale processing equip and too few employees

small business level
adv: same as household
dis: same as household

large companies
adv: greater market share, more influence in the industry body to which they belong, may have more direct dealings with the govt.
dis: rearrangement of the production line takes a long time and is expensive, is less flexible, more opportunities for problems to develop,

multinationals
adv: produces more with 24 hr production, less employees due to mechanisation, seasonal nature of ag. products poses no problem
dis: same as large companies

What are food additives and give five uses for them?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
food additives are are substances, either chemical or physical that enhance a property of food and are not consumed independant of the food (mostly)

-Add to sensory appeal eg color or texture
-To extend shelf life, eg humectants
-To whiten foods such as rice, eg talc
-Improve nutritional value, eg vitamins and mineraols
-blend ingredients together eg, Emulsifiers

identify and provide a brief outline on 6 consumer influences on the AFI

Kaatie

HSC
1. People are busier and an increasing number have limited cooking skills - The industry produces prepared or pre-prepared foods that the consumer heats up at home, known as home meal replacement products.

2. Aus' population is aging - The industry is increasingly promoting food products for this age group

3. An increasing number of people desire 'super health' - The industry has increased sales of vitamin and mineral supplements

4. More people have food-related appliances - The industry produces frozen, pre-cooked meals that can be microwaved. Packaging materials were invented that could endure the effects of microwave cooking.

5. People are delaying having a family and families are smaller in size - The industry no longer sells family-sized packages of many foods

6. Desire for foods with no chemical residues - The industry's 'clean and green' promotional campaign means our food is safe to eat and free from chemicals. Further organic products are increasingly available.

identify gender issues within the Australian food industry

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
issues relating to gender are:
-higher rate of female employees within the retail sector
-many labour based occupations are "male dominated"
-rate of pay; women recieve 3/4 the wage of a fellow male employer within some sectors

Outline what quality and quantity control in the selection of raw materials for food processing are.

Kaatie

HSC
- description of the material with all tolerances and standards specified including standards for physical, sensory and chemical characteristics as well as tolerances in microbiological limits.
- a sampling method for the material which specifies the exact no. of samples to be treated to give the required assurance of quality at a min sampling cost
- a test for each specified characteristic as there is no value in specifying a characteristic unless it can be tested
- action taken when the tests have produced a result, the manufacturer can do one of three things, they can accept the material if it is within the set standards, reject the material if it does not comply with company standards or start methods of controlling the problem if the material is not outside the set standards but looks as if it is deteriorating to that level

name five specific hygiene regulations in the food act

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Section 13 ~ handling food products in a hygeinic manner (handling food in an unsafe manner)
Section 14 ~ sale of unsafe food
Regulation 7 ~ the construction of food premises must ensure that food products are made in a hygeinic manner

sorry can't think of anymore off the top of my head you've stumped me, please answer it for me, :(

heres one for you

what are the symbols used for making a flow chart and what do they mean?

Kaatie

HSC
Regulation 12- any premises or vechile in which food in handled for sale must be provided wish a washbain in or convenient to each lavatory situation in the premises or vechile
regulation 25- a person must not handle food for sale unless the person is clean and is wearing clean clothing
regulation 28 - a person who prepares food for sale must not apply to his or her mouth any appliance used in the preparation of food

woah your school must be alot further than ours we havent covered that but ill answer anyway. Thank god this textbook is so small and the hsc course is only half of it, alot smaller than eco or chem books. Okay well its only 6 pages ahead of us and they are:

circle - opertation
square - inspection
arrow - transportation
D - delay
upside down triangle - storage
circle inside a square - inspection and processing

What year did additives have to be identified by their class name and individual name and code?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
lols, i went a head of my class, cause they arguing constantly about random stuff so i borrowed the textbook and did it all myself (that is the policy and legislation) and gave it to my teacher to look over and she said it was fine. But yeah i can stick to AFI if you want. Lols when i go back i can still participate and get some more info.

1986 addivitives have had to be identified.

what is the food standards process and identify each step.

Kaatie

HSC
oh no ill go ahead gladly :).

not sure what it is by definition but the processes are

application or proposal

full assessment with public input

development of draft standard or variation

inquiry into draft standard or variation with public input

FSANZ recommendation to the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Council (if still called that) for approval

Adoption of variation by Australian States and Territories and New Zealand

What are the 4 driving forces behind developments in any particular sector?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
-consumer influence
-goverment policy and legislation
-advances in technology
-world, national and local events

what are unit operations giving specific examples

Kaatie

HSC
unit operations are the specific processes the food undergoes during production e.g heating, mixing and transportation

the sad thing is im using my textbook the entire time and you havent been.

what are the four basic components required for evaporation

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
lols soz, its good in a way that way you learning more and you'll know what to expect at school

-a vessel
-heat source
-water heated to 101+ C
-condensor
-an instrument for removing the steam vapour

chemsitry basically

summaries the trade practices act 1974 into 5 points

Kaatie

HSC
- The act is to strengthen competition at all levels of private enterprise covered by the legislation
-businesses and individuals are not allowed to enter into contracts (written or verbal) that are likely to reduce competition in the marketplace
-Companies are restricted from entering into conduct that would be defined by unwritten law as being unprincipled
- Companies cannot conduct unfair practices and something about conditions and warranties
- Manufacturer or importer is liable for the payment of a compensation where goods are defective, if they are not found within 30 days supplier is responsible for compensation

that was a hard one. Im going to try and answer one question a day so ill know everything by the time of the half yearly :).

What is a Genetically Modified Food and give an example.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
GM foods are ones that have under genetic engineering or a transgenetic transplant, by the addittion or alteration of a specific chromosome or genome that allow for a more "economical" or "benefical" product eg, the inclusion of a specific gene into transalantic salmon to allow them to grow much more rapidly. These products maybe accepted or rejected by the public.

identify 5 advisory groups that have a role in formulating and implementing policy and legislation and state what government levels they work on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)