forced to do english and maths standard even though ive always been advanced. explained below. am i doomed?? (1 Viewer)

chuuyaxro

HSC
i am aiming for 99.95 and always have been, but i am doing english standard and maths standard. i did english advanced and maths advanced every year up to year 10.

i did very well in year 10 with an overall A in math advanced (went from 20% in term 1 to 90% in semester 2) and B in english advanced.

i moved schools and since the advanced classes were full i have been doing standard since year 11 began. y'all am i doomed pls

i believe i am very much capable of coming first in every subject i'm doing, and shouldn't it be somewhat easier as my competition is milder?

why is it that people say you cannot get band 6's with standard subjects, and why is it harder to get a high ATAR with them?

i am doing english std, maths std, legal studies, business studies, studies of religion 1 and drama.

chuuyaxro

HSC
whoever said u cant get a band6 with standard subjects is very wrong but i think getting a 99.95 with those subjects is very hard coz of scaling
if you dont mind, could you explain how scaling works? or link a website with a decent explanation because my brains gone from advanced to standard rn and cannot understand the process of ATAR calculation for the life of me

chuuyaxro

HSC
misconception with junior years
perhaps they were in their 'advanced streams' for their cohort which is generally math 5.3 (idk if an english equivalent exists)
yeah yeah yeah thats right, we just called it advanced and standard and stuff i dunno what terms are used elsewhere, english 5.3 exists too

jonolad69

HSC
i am aiming for 99.95 and always have been, but i am doing english standard and maths standard. i did english advanced and maths advanced every year up to year 10.

i did very well in year 10 with an overall A in math advanced (went from 20% in term 1 to 90% in semester 2) and B in english advanced.

i moved schools and since the advanced classes were full i have been doing standard since year 11 began. y'all am i doomed pls

i believe i am very much capable of coming first in every subject i'm doing, and shouldn't it be somewhat easier as my competition is milder?

why is it that people say you cannot get band 6's with standard subjects, and why is it harder to get a high ATAR with them?

i am doing english std, maths std, legal studies, business studies, studies of religion 1 and drama.
curious what kind of school you moved to? big difference in rankings from your previous one?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
if you dont mind, could you explain how scaling works? or link a website with a decent explanation because my brains gone from advanced to standard rn and cannot understand the process of ATAR calculation for the life of me
i dont think id be able to explain it that good @carrotsss or @jimmysmith560
Essentially, scaling is the process that allows UAC to compare relative student performance across different subjects for the purpose of ATAR calculation. A higher scaling subject means that the level of competition in the subject is high. Conversely, a lower-scaling subject reflects lower student academic capability. This is the reason that a subject such as Mathematics Standard is considered to scale lower than Mathematics Advanced. By extension, it can be assumed that a particular HSC mark in Mathematics Standard will make a lower contribution to a student's ATAR than an identical HSC mark in Mathematics Advanced. For example, achieving an HSC mark of 90 in Mathematics Advanced is likely to make a more significant contribution to a student's ATAR than an HSC mark of 90 in Mathematics Standard. In such a case, a slightly higher HSC mark in Mathematics Standard would be needed in Mathematics Advanced (e.g. 95) to match the contribution to a student's ATAR made by an HSC mark of 90 in Mathematics Advanced.

With that being said, a high ATAR can be achieved with any subject combination, as long as the most important element is satisfied. This element is your commitment to your subjects, which will allow you to perform at a sufficiently high level that would be consistent with a high ATAR.

Regarding English Standard, a 99.95 ATAR has already been achieved by a student who took this subject. This happened in 2022 and is a good indication that favourable performance is possible with any combination of subjects.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)