forced to do english and maths standard even though ive always been advanced. explained below. am i doomed?? (1 Viewer)

chuuyaxro

HSC
Essentially, scaling is the process that allows UAC to compare relative student performance across different subjects for the purpose of ATAR calculation. A higher scaling subject means that the level of competition in the subject is high. Conversely, a lower-scaling subject reflects lower student academic capability. This is the reason that a subject such as Mathematics Standard is considered to scale lower than Mathematics Advanced. By extension, it can be assumed that a particular HSC mark in Mathematics Standard will make a lower contribution to a student's ATAR than an identical HSC mark in Mathematics Advanced. For example, achieving an HSC mark of 90 in Mathematics Advanced is likely to make a more significant contribution to a student's ATAR than an HSC mark of 90 in Mathematics Standard. In such a case, a slightly higher HSC mark in Mathematics Standard would be needed in Mathematics Advanced (e.g. 95) to match the contribution to a student's ATAR made by an HSC mark of 90 in Mathematics Advanced.

With that being said, a high ATAR can be achieved with any subject combination, as long as the most important element is satisfied. This element is your commitment to your subjects, which will allow you to perform at a sufficiently high level that would be consistent with a high ATAR.

Regarding English Standard, a 99.95 ATAR has already been achieved by a student who took this subject. This happened in 2022 and is a good indication that favourable performance is possible with any combination of subjects.

I hope this helps! :D
thank you so much jimmy you're a legend!! really helped me understand, i appreciate it ๐Ÿ™

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
i am aiming for 99.95 and always have been, but i am doing english standard and maths standard. i did english advanced and maths advanced every year up to year 10.

i did very well in year 10 with an overall A in math advanced (went from 20% in term 1 to 90% in semester 2) and B in english advanced.

i moved schools and since the advanced classes were full i have been doing standard since year 11 began. y'all am i doomed pls

i believe i am very much capable of coming first in every subject i'm doing, and shouldn't it be somewhat easier as my competition is milder?

why is it that people say you cannot get band 6's with standard subjects, and why is it harder to get a high ATAR with them?

i am doing english std, maths std, legal studies, business studies, studies of religion 1 and drama.
From this alone ik what school u go to lmao. why do u guys actually spend the extra buck on these corrupted ahh priv schools if they won't even let students do subjects they want like tf are you paying for? the view?

jonolad69

HSC
From this alone ik what school u go to lmao. why do u guys actually spend the extra buck on these corrupted ahh priv schools if they won't even let students do subjects they want like tf are you paying for? the view?
what other school could this be

its_ace21

/รฆษชs/
HSC
Students: 'omg i got into a top 20 ranking school'
School: 'yeah bro, just to solidify this, we're also gonna remove basically any control you have on what subjects you can do'

must be omega alpha sigma wtv tf its called
HAHA CRYING but op said the rank is around 150

chuuyaxro

HSC
Students: 'omg i got into a top 20 ranking school'
School: 'yeah bro, just to solidify this, we're also gonna remove basically any control you have on what subjects you can do'

must be omega alpha sigma wtv tf its called
LMAOO you got it wrong, i got most subjects i wanted but not math and english cause i applied to the school 1 day before term 1 started, just a late application issue

chuuyaxro

HSC
why in tf would you move atp wtf? literally go to parramatta high and you'd get better opportuniteis and rank
it was a last minute decision cause we were gonna move overseas but that whole ordeal got cancelled so we had to find a private school cs public schools wouldve only accepted if we were in the catchment

Armon

HSC
If you got a B in English Iโ€™m sorry but there is no chance youโ€™ll get a .95. Not saying this to be rude, Iโ€™m saying this because it will crush you when you get nowhere near that mark on atar day. The people who get 99.95 are academic weapons since birth, who either take the highest scaling subjects or get state ranks in lower subjects, often who go to more than 4+ tutoring centres and spend tens of thousands of dollars on their year 12. the reason people say a band 6 in std subjects is impossible is because normally the candidature of the subject arent capable; if you put all the advanced English kids into std English, all the kids who got adv eng band 6s would probably still get the std eng band 6s, and this is even more true for maths. english adv and std scale identically, they only align differently but std marking criteria is more lenient to account for that. std English wont be the problem, the much bigger problem scaling wise for you is drama.

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
If you got a B in English Iโ€™m sorry but there is no chance youโ€™ll get a .95. Not saying this to be rude, Iโ€™m saying this because it will crush you when you get nowhere near that mark on atar day. The people who get 99.95 are academic weapons since birth, who either take the highest scaling subjects or get state ranks in lower subjects, often who go to more than 4+ tutoring centres and spend tens of thousands of dollars on their year 12. the reason people say a band 6 in std subjects is impossible is because normally the candidature of the subject arent capable; if you put all the advanced English kids into std English, all the kids who got adv eng band 6s would probably still get the std eng band 6s, and this is even more true for maths. english adv and std scale identically, they only align differently but std marking criteria is more lenient to account for that. std English wont be the problem, the much bigger problem scaling wise for you is drama.
4 centres ? i can only think of ppl going du and ace/zhangs/cog though i've heard of ppl doing proed du zhangs and cog or kurt + du + ace but i think even for .8+ 4 centres is a lot

Armon

HSC
4 centres ? i can only think of ppl going du and ace/zhangs/cog though i've heard of ppl doing proed du zhangs and cog or kurt + du + ace but i think even for .8+ 4 centres is a lot
hmm
most people I know with .9+ went du or equiv for math, ngo/peak/sigma/zhangs for sciences (often times a mix), private for English, and contour or smth for ucat. Depends on whether you stack your sciences at the same centre i guess. thereโ€™s also the people who double up on tutoring centres per subject (eg. going Al Jabr and du both for math)

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
hmm
most people I know with .9+ went du or equiv for math, ngo/peak/sigma/zhangs for sciences (often times a mix), private for English, and contour or smth for ucat. Depends on whether you stack your sciences at the same centre i guess. thereโ€™s also the people who double up on tutoring centres per subject (eg. going Al Jabr and du both for math)
.95ers do tutoring for ucat ๐Ÿ’€???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)