Free Laptop (1 Viewer)

kara42

HSC
aimhigh10 said:
stereotyping

:p
Hahahaha yeah, agreed.

Just 'cause we go to private school, doesn't mean we can actually afford to buy our own laptops.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
kara42 said:
Hahahaha yeah, agreed.

Just 'cause we go to private school, doesn't mean we can actually afford to buy our own laptops.
My school got 30 laptops and I think around 20 desktop computers? I think we got more of those, I didn't use the computer labs during year 12. Every desktop computer that we got had this little sticker on it to say that we got it from the government (the school put them there).

Edit: The laptops were HP ones, IIRC. The stickers said they had Windows Vista on them, but they had XP. It seemed that admin doesn't like Vista, and put XP on all the laptops instead. Understandable, as Vista would have slowed them down.

Last edited:

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
at least give us something useful instead of a piece of shit people will use to practise applying repair diagnostics and compoment installation with

i wonder if you can sell these things...

lala2

Banned
HSC
I think this is a stupid idea. The only difference btw a laptop and a normal desktop is that the laptop can be carried around. I think as long as enough desktops are installed at each school to ensure the computer literacy of every student enrolled, scrap the laptop idea and divert the money elsewhere. Health, transport, etc...these are all more impt than kids just having laptops. I certainly wouldn't want my taxes going to some kid who's only going to play Minesweeper on their laptop all day.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
theism said:
actually we were ment to get them last year,
but mr. ramsay cancelled it.
Mr ramsay?
Do you go to my school?
Wthell I'm confused

Also, this thingo was announced yesterday
Sure it's been 'thought about' for a while, but who expected the government to actually live up to it?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
the price is ridiculous for mini laptops, seriously mine cost $480

what a waste of Tax payers money

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
kara42 said:
Hahahaha yeah, agreed.

why do you need a laptop?

I bought one at the end of year 12 for uni next year not for high school, although i had one throughout year, it was a crap one which i bought for 200 of ebay, and all it did was word processing, and internet, and i could of done without it if need be

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
why do you need a laptop?

I bought one at the end of year 12 for uni next year not for high school, although i had one throughout year, it was a crap one which i bought for 200 of ebay, and all it did was word processing, and internet, and i could of done without it if need be
Hm... Well I bought a laptop at the start of year 12, and I'd say it helped a lot. Instead of having piles of notes around my room, I had them all stored on my laptop. Also, typing up my notes meant that I could easily go back and change them, etc.

My laptop is an NEC Versa which I bought for just under $2000... It's not small, but it's still portable, and probably has better hardware than a mini laptop.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Hm... Well I bought a laptop at the start of year 12, and I'd say it helped a lot. Instead of having piles of notes around my room, I had them all stored on my laptop. Also, typing up my notes meant that I could easily go back and change them, etc.

My laptop is an NEC Versa which I bought for just under $2000... It's not small, but it's still portable, and probably has better hardware than a mini laptop.
yeah but it was a luxury not a need wasn't it? you did not NEED it

lullaby.0716

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:

Isn't it better to actually hand-write your notes? It helps you to memorize better.

mackento

HSC
My parents work jobs, we go without ALOT of the things others take for granted to go to a private school. Just because your parents dont love you enough to sacrifice a few years to improve your education doesnt mean we should be left out of the laptop deal.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
mackento said:
My parents work jobs, we go without ALOT of the things others take for granted to go to a private school. Just because your parents dont love you enough to sacrifice a few years to improve your education doesnt mean we should be left out of the laptop deal.
You're left out of the laptop deal 'cause your school isn't run by the government.

emytaylor164 said:
yeah but it was a luxury not a need wasn't it? you did not NEED it
Stfu, you don't need half the shit in life.
It's not like we NEED education. It's a gift and you shouldn't take it for granted. Just like the laptop business.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Wooz said:
This is to help cover teh sh*t load of problems they've had with the program, infrastructure, advisors/consultants, experts, on going staff, development of the restriction software, integration with the schools IT system, etc.
In short: inefficiencies. Basically half of your list can be covered by the existing IT staff at school, with the rest only requiring an intial outlay - not enough to jack up the price per student value to that stupid figure.

kara42

HSC
No, not necessarily.
Again, generalisation.

B.O.R.E.D. said:
well u should be able to since u can afford the school :O:monkey:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)