Freedom of Choice (1 Viewer)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Trebla said:
-The stupid school does not release ranks in the grade.
-Also, my class teacher did say that I was capable. Apparently she is powerless to help, probably because she doesn't want to get fired by the Head Teacher.
-Yes I can. Ever heard of 'Disrupting the learning of others'?
-http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_qa_support.pdf[/url]
"the Board’s standard-setting procedure, involving teams of experienced markers using professional judgment informed by statistical data and student responses, will be used to determine the band cut-off marks for the combined distribution so that a Band 6 awarded to a Standard course student is equivalent to a Band 6 awarded to an Advanced course student, and so on."
Explain that.
-Also, I forgot to mention that the Head Teacher did say yes not so long ago. She said I was capable until for some reason she changed her mind. What a *!*!*!*. That was so bloody demoralising.
- I posted: 'You can excel in a subject regardless of the people in your class.' Why ignore it?
- It must be a dodgy school that doesn't release ranks. I think it is an obligation in the HSC year to release this information about places against colleagues (i.e. a rank) to students.

i think everyone is getting irritated by you complaining. either stick with standard or piss of to another school. the end.

btw:
shafqat: please do not use 'fobs' as a word. It is racist to any asians in general.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Huratio said:
i think everyone is getting irritated by you complaining. either stick with standard or piss of to another school. the end.
Anyone who is irritated would not even look at this thread. So why post? I'm not harrassing any of you to post you know. I was initially asking for support and arguments for my case. If you don't want to help, then ignore this thread and piss off!

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Advanced English and Standard English are definately not scaled the same! Thats just illogical.

In 2004, the average scaled standard english mark was 36/100 while the average scaled advanced english mark was 61/100.

Also, I thought that a teacher could strongly recommend you to not do a subject, but that they weren't allowed to prevent you. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

stainmepink

HSC
drewgcn said:
Advanced English and Standard English are definately not scaled the same! Thats just illogical.

In 2004, the average scaled standard english mark was 36/100 while the average scaled advanced english mark was 61/100.

Also, I thought that a teacher could strongly recommend you to not do a subject, but that they weren't allowed to prevent you. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

you are correct.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Ergo, shouldnt Trebla be able to assert his rights in choosing his subject, and the teacher powerless to stop him? Idealistic, yes, but possible.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Huratio said:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

Note: English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are always scaled in the same way, despite any rumours to the contrary.

Right off this site.
I see your point, in theory it is equal, but then if you look at the UAC releases, the top Advanced student will receive 100 scaled, while standard will receive 93 scaled. And then the dead average Advanced student receives 64 scaled, which is the same mark that a Standard student at the 90th percentile receives. It seems a lot harder to get the same scaled mark in practice...

stainmepink

HSC
miss_gtr said:
the point is....if ur in standard stop complaining about how advanced always gets higher, DO advanced if u think u can do it, DO advanced if u want that 100 uai. stop whinging and get over it. ITS SCALED THE SAME

I think he wants to do advanced, but he cant because of circumstances in his school. i suggest BRING your parents to the english staffroom and GET them to realise YOU ARE GOOD. Otherwise you are going to end up with a hell of a lower UAI than you ought to

HSC
at our school we are all made to do english advanced, regardless of how we perform

P

pLuvia

-neurosurgeon- said:
at our school we are all made to do english advanced, regardless of how we perform
hey wat skool do u go to??.. and wat yr u in??.. sum ppl werent allowed to do 2 sciences if not recommended yet they tried to prove the teacher rong that they were capable yet they burnt them selves so badly.. ahaha

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It appears this dispute is not going anywhere.
I would like to ask this:

- Can I change to Advanced in year 12?
- If so, do I have to do the preliminary component of it?
- Should I consider changing schools since the Head Teacher and Principal are bloody stubborn?

I still have my class teacher's approval and recommendation to go into Advanced despite all of this.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I might try Fort Street or Sydney Boys?
Some place where I can prove and have the chance to prove the Head Teacher and Principal wrong with my HSC.
Anyway, my parents tried threatening the principal of changing schools and she didn't give a damn and said to go ahead. She didn't care. How ironic. Last year she made a speech against the idea of people switching schools.

I'm going to have a final go at convincing the Head Teacher with a mass support group behind me at the beginning of term. I've got new textual evidence straight off the UAC to prove her belief wrong.

I wonder if any other people have been deprived of the freedom of choosing the courses they want... please post if you do.

A l

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
- It's better to ace Standard than to do bad in Advanced
Believe it or not, it is easier to gain access to higher aligned marks in English (Advanced) than in English (Standard).
According to Table A3, an aligned mark of 90 in English (Standard) was roughly equivalent to an aligned mark of 94 in English (Advanced) in 2004. Observe the following, derived from Table A3 from the UAC website assuming that English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are scaled the same: (and my attempt at constructing a table lol!)
Note: these are all approximations and estimates which may lack precise accuracy.
|____75___|____78____|_____28.6____|
|____71___|____73____|_____23.5____|
|____66___|____68____|_____17.8____|
|____61___|____62____|_____12.2____|

In other words, it is much harder to ace English (Standard) than English (Advanced) due to tougher aligning procedures. However, in regards to scaling, they are the same since the equivalent raw mark for each should be the same.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
I might try Fort Street or Sydney Boys?
Some place where I can prove and have the chance to prove the Head Teacher and Principal wrong with my HSC.
Anyway, my parents tried threatening the principal of changing schools and she didn't give a damn and said to go ahead. She didn't care. How ironic. Last year she made a speech against the idea of people switching schools.

I'm going to have a final go at convincing the Head Teacher with a mass support group behind me at the beginning of term. I've got new textual evidence straight off the UAC to prove her belief wrong.

I wonder if any other people have been deprived of the freedom of choosing the courses they want... please post if you do.
You can count most good selective schools out if you want to move in yr12, as no-one drops out and there are very limited spaces. SBHS --> No chance. Fort St --> Possibly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)