Freedom (1 Viewer)

Freedom

• Total voters

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Why do we need the sort of cheap labour we currently have. If some of the extreme wealth was not held by a very small amount of people, everyone could probably enjoy a decent wage. Theoretically of course. Not suggestion we should do this or that it is workable.

But theoretically if there was some way to take the billions held by certain people and re-distribute it, no one would have to be extremely poor.
Funny you should mention that. A free market works best when there is an equal distribution of income. Odd, no?

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
I don't agree. Inequality does motivate people to work hard and create new innovations.

The issue for me is more ensuring a minimum standard. For instance, I have little sympathy for lazy Aussie bogans, but I find it disgusting that with all our wealth we allow around 30 000 people to starve to death each day, with many more dying from unclean water and easily preventable diseases.
I'm talking from a economic standpoint. Rich people tend to have a lower marginal propensity to consume and a higher marginal propensity to save because they don't need to spend as much of their income on things whereas low and middle income folk will need to spend more of their income. Boost up the low income to middle and high to middle then you have a shitload more consumption. But then again, culture would have a significant role to play in how we would react to such a system. And I guess we wouldn't know how much of that growth is sustainable.

*ponders*

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Theoretically, there's enough food to feed every man, woman and child on Earth. But do we really want to do that? If we actually manage to feed everyone, then more people will breed successfully, more babies will survive and soon there won't be enough food to feed everyone. Unless we have a limit on reproduction, and there's another restriction on freedom (and the huge possibility that there'll just be twice as many boys as girls).

Ah I dunno.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Yes but then we'd have too much consumption and not enough saving and thus investment for the future.
I think there would be plenty of money to borrow. :p

Ennaybur said:
see! i knew you were fascist neocon liberal scum.

That's what hitler said.
Yes that's right. I'm here to become Australia's first Fuhrer.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Oh since not many of you are likely to read 117 pages, the study basically says:
"Guns have no correlation to violent crime, historically, geographically or demographically."

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
The factor would be what the MPS is, mean income and how many workers there are. You think there wouldn't be a few billion saved money in the bank? Lol. I said it would be lower than high income earners. I didn't say it would be 0.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Depends how the redistribution was conducted. If it was to balance weath so everyone was equal probably worse off. But its hard to know. Such a huge amount of wealth is held by the top fraction of a percent, even those of us in the top few percent could still be better of with such a redistribution.
There's a difference as far as I understand between when say a rich man has such money and is investing it in some form or another and when the rabble has it and are using it to pay for tvs, cars, food items etc which would be inflationary, right? I.E. It's not like the rich top percent is buying stockpiles of tvs/food/what have you for their personal use.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Soo freedom is more than the choice to work or not? Are youz saying that to be truely free, you need basic standards in housing, food, safety, health and education?
Shocking

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
To do my part, I just got out my checkbook and wrote a check for $100 to the Monthly Review Foundation. That's on top of my Monthly Review Associate membership, which I took out this past summer. I am asking you to do the same thing.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol what? Communism, KT? Dirty fat commie rats?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Iron said:
Lol what? Communism, KT? Dirty fat commie rats?
I have freedom in the libertarian sense when, no matter what I choose to do, I might equally have chosen the opposite.
I can choose to be a disgusting, fat communist rat if I want, because I have the freedom to.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
JFK said:
Liberty is the possibility of doubting, of making a mistake,... of searching and experimenting....of saying "No" to any authority - literary, artistic, philosophical, religious, social, and even political.
Say 'no' to beneficence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)