Full Macquarie Uni Degrees can now be bought over the counter! (1 Viewer)

ALLLICE

HSC
AsyLum said:
For the majority of students its not going to affect you. It'll be at least 3-5 years till any sort of 'dilution' event begins, and thats questionable with the way Schwartz is wiping out Yerbury's deals.
All this talk recently is rather depressing and puts a bad light on how I see Mac...but then I go to uni and I have nice friends and awesome lecturers and I think "why would I want to leave?"

I dunno...my friends at city unis give me a bit of crap about going here- but for what?? Getting a degree at UNSW or USyd is really more of a 'status' thing than for a better education (imo). Certainly, different unis are better for different disciplines but I don't think Mac has an overall poorer quality of education.

I've just been waying up my options, in the light of recent events, so that if it turns out that Mac is in fact going down the crapper then I'll still have the chance to get a decent degree elsewhere (while I'm still young)..

I'm going to try and stay positive for now about Mac. The changes that Schwartz wants to implement seem promising. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ALLLICE said:
All this talk recently is rather depressing and puts a bad light on how I see Mac...but then I go to uni and I have nice friends and awesome lecturers and I think "why would I want to leave?"

I dunno...my friends at city unis give me a bit of crap about going here- but for what?? Getting a degree at UNSW or USyd is really more of a 'status' thing than for a better education (imo). Certainly, different unis are better for different disciplines but I don't think Mac has an overall poorer quality of education.

I've just been waying up my options, in the light of recent events, so that if it turns out that Mac is in fact going down the crapper then I'll still have the chance to get a decent degree elsewhere (while I'm still young)..

I'm going to try and stay positive for now about Mac. The changes that Schwartz wants to implement seem promising. :)
Well to be perfectly fair, its been like this for a while, and its been running like this for a while, so in reality, its actually been tainted from when most of us started, its just now coming to light.

I mean, we have the Scholar Ship and this is less ridiculous than that imo.

As for poorer quality, I think in some areas we do, in others we excel, just like every other uni.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I actually wrote a response in the direction that this thread has headed a couple of days ago and never posted it. So I'll repost now.

Despite all the bad mac publicity in the papers, the anti mac comments on this board and the fact that it all coincides with a time that I was always going to be faced with weighing up whether I made the right decision, I still currently have no regrets with my uni choice.

If you go to / are at mac for what it alone can offer you, rather than what others can also offer you, then it's worth being here. I don't know if that makes sense, but I'll try and explain. I am now quite sure I would have left, for example, usyd, feeling much more competent and knowledgable with my area. I'll feel less competent leaving mac because it gave me the opportunity to study subjects from different areas. So, strangely enough, the same thing that is a downfall (in my mind, currently, for when I graduate, as I know that after a couple of years of working we'll all be equal) is also one of the reasons that I do not regret coming here. Mac allowed me to do find out that I didn't enjoy subject A, I loved subject B more than I would have ever expected and the subject C has more of a personal meaning (rather than me actually enjoying the classes). I can't imagine having gone somewhere else and always wondering what subject A would be like, never having discovered subject B and regretted not doing subject C. That's only one of the postives, there are others.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
As for poorer quality, I think in some areas we do, in others we excel, just like every other uni.
That's so true.

The fact that many departments are self-sustaining, industry backed, or community backed shows that the quality of the university holistically can have no bearing on the teaching of one department.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
wouldnt be surprised if other unis followed suit (or already have but not yet uncovered).

rawfromearth

HSC
N/A
We can't claim that the MQ degree could be bought it from city campus at the moment. At least we dont' have any friends around us who are studying there. The city campus will just commence at the July semester.

MQ North Ryde campus is providing a beautiful study environment and city campus can't even compare with us. Even the city campus students could get the same degree as us in the future, but we have different study experiences.

On the other hand, I would like to try to finish my degree at city campus if i know I could be easily get the degree there. Once you get older, working experience is one of important factor to get a good job rather than the papers. Maybe you could get a better GPA at city campus than at the main campus.

these are just my opinions.

bassqueen16

HSC
but thats the point, if you're able to get your degree quicker and easier at city campus, then its not a true MQ degree! IF you want to get work experience, then go get a job, go get an internship for a year, go find out about the industry, dont just shortchange yourself to get a degree quicker, it'll bite you in the ass later on in life when your actually IN the industry and you havent a clue whats going on because you didnt actually DO half the units!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
a) Not sure why you resurrected this thread, the last response was a few months ago.
b) They DO the same units, its not that we're worried about, its the quality of marking which will allow them to go through rather than the fact they're doing the subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)