Gen Eds (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
I'm slightly bored and looking at Gen Ed courses to do next year. Can anyone tell me about ones they have done, ones they'd recommend and ones i shouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole? Also which ones are considered easy WAM boosters?

ta

sunny

meh.
HSC
All gen eds are WAM boosters, you'd have to try very hard to fail one.

saves.the.day

HSC
s2ophie said:
Also which ones are considered easy WAM boosters?
If you want this then stay away from astronomy. GENS4001. I did it as my first first gened but suddenly thought there was quite alot of work involved for the for a 3UOC course but just accepted it as the norm. After making friends with lots of 2nd and 3rd yr studnets they all told me that the work load was way more than any other gen ed they ever did.

As for WAM boosters. THey all reccomended any course by the COFA (college of fine arts).

Good luck

sunny

meh.
HSC
Did you do the in session or summer session Astronomy? I did it summer session, and found it quite enjoyable.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
any Psych gen eds are apparently a lot of work

I've heard one Gen-ed...a mining engineering one (Energy and Mineral Resources I think) is really easy - no face to face class, just webct, and the exam is online

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sunny said:
that's not true...

stay away from the medicine ones. the one that i did dragged my wam down.

saves.the.day

HSC
sunny said:
Did you do the in session or summer session Astronomy? I did it summer session, and found it quite enjoyable.
Oh I did it during normal session. Yes I have actually heard that summer session Astronomy is alot better.

It's aparently a really popular GenEd btw as the 2 night viewing sessions really get people interested in it. I just got a little down as it rained both my viewing nights and it was wasted. The plus was that we got 10% for free as we didn't have to do the viewing night questionare as it was impossible to do so without the use of telescopes.

sunny said:
i agree. While some are harder than others, you'd have to try to fail as you have mentioned. Good point.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
i disagree with the part where sunny said "All gen eds are WAM boosters".
While is it true that it's HARD TO FAIL, but that doesn't mean it will boost your wam up (unless you fail all your subjects normal subjects)....

saves.the.day

HSC
Hi Survivor. Just read your previous post on the GenEd you did. I had no idea they made the med ones so difficult. Do you mind telling me which one you did. Just out of interest and curiosity.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
s2ophie said:
I'm slightly bored and looking at Gen Ed courses to do next year. Can anyone tell me about ones they have done, ones they'd recommend and ones i shouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole? Also which ones are considered easy WAM boosters?

ta
go to the handbook site, look at what youre interested in and do that. chances are if you like it, itll be hard to fail.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
GENM0202 - Frontiers in Brain Research
the 2 tests are alright, got 24 and 27 out of 30. But when the lecturer marks the essay, he marked extremely hard. the highest was only 30/40....so don't expect high mark for this gen ed..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
although i heard the concept of physical fitness is easy, and a popular choice as well. Just don't do anything from the School of medical Scienece, that is the human origin or the brain research ones...coz you'll most likely to be marked by what's his name....Ken.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Survivor39 said:
although i heard the concept of physical fitness is easy, and a popular choice as well. Just don't do anything from the School of medical Scienece, that is the human origin or the brain research ones...coz you'll most likely to be marked by what's his name....Ken.
concepts is pretty easy i got 74 (robbed i tell you!) but my tip is try to make your presentation interesting. roleplays will most likely give you high marks.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Minai said:
any Psych gen eds are apparently a lot of work
Yes, apparently they share lectures with actual 1st year psych students ...

Has anyone done GENS 6011? I plan to do that this session ...

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I agree that the psych gen ed is REAL heavy compared to some other stuff ... I also suggest one from the school of philosophy ... its about thinking and anaslying arguments. Piss easy ... dunno the name becauase i did the elective (which was PHIL1010).

Ac

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
McLake said:
Yes, apparently they share lectures with actual 1st year psych students ...

Has anyone done GENS 6011? I plan to do that this session ...
yeah, the psyc geneds that share lectures with first year psyc students are worth 6 uoc. so you would expect more workload obviously..

oh, i think DNA gen ed is interesting!

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
just wondering does anybody know of any gened subjects that just require webct?? meaning you dont actually have to go to the campus?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^Somebody just mentioned a mining one. Check above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)