• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

GENERAL BIO DISCUSSION (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
IS THIS RIGHT FOR MOD 8 TECHNOLOGIES?? --i need to re-explain dialysis lol

EYE:
- glasses --fix myopia (short sightedness with concave lenses) and hyperopia (long sightedness with convex lenses)
- laser surgery --fix astigmatism and other things

EAR:
- outer ear issues: hearing aid
- middle ear issues: bone conductive implant (bypasses outer+middle - directs vibrations straight to inner)
- inner ear issues (uh oh that sucks): cochlear implant (bypasses the whole damn ear by stimulating auditory nerve directly)

KIDNEY:
- dialysis --basically performs the transfer of salts and fluids and filtration of blood that would be done in the kidney with nephrons, but outside the body because the kidney doesn't work (using specific dialysis fluid that runs opposite direction to blood)
- two types:
----haemodialysis --attached to machine
----peritoneal dialysis --can be done at home

helloworld!

HSC

EYE:
- glasses --fix myopia (short sightedness with concave lenses) and hyperopia (long sightedness with convex lenses)

EAR:
- middle ear issues: bone conductive implant (bypasses outer+middle - directs vibrations straight to inner)
- inner ear issues (uh oh that sucks): cochlear implant (bypasses the whole damn ear by stimulating auditory nerve directly)

KIDNEY:
- dialysis --basically performs the transfer of salts and fluids and filtration of blood that would be done in the kidney with nephrons, but outside the body because the kidney doesn't work (using specific dialysis fluid that runs opposite direction to blood)
- two types:
Hello!
This looks correct too me; well done on creating a summary.
- helloworld!

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC

EYE:

EAR:

KIDNEY:
- two types:
laser surgery (LASIK) --> used to reshape the cornea

this is the only thing ik from mod 8 😍

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC

EYE:
theres also ortho-k (ngl i find this one so cool)

shumaker

HSC
For Mod 8, the stuff about the nervous and endocrine system is far too convoluted for me. Esp all the terminology eg: axons, dendrites and its hard to remember each term and its function. Can anyone suggest a simple way to break it down so I can understand it better? Thanks.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
For Mod 8, the stuff about the nervous and endocrine system is far too convoluted for me. Esp all the terminology eg: axons, dendrites and its hard to remember each term and its function. Can anyone suggest a simple way to break it down so I can understand it better? Thanks.
NO FRRRRRR I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

goodcat911

HSC
Hello!
Please do not pull an all-nighter. It destroys your concentration and health. No matter how tempting it is. Maybe you can do it over 2-3 days? I mean, there is still time for the Biology HSC.
You got this!

- helloworld!
too late alr did it and im fine lmao also doing it as accel so i dont needa distribute my time all good

SASH_06_X

HSC
A quick question, when the syllabus asks to "evaluate the effectiveness of" what exactly does it mean? NESA defines "evaluate" as making a judgement based on criteria or determining the value of. When it says effectiveness, do we just list the advantages/disadvantages? If not, how to evaluate effectiveness in Bio?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)