General exam question (1 Viewer)

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
Hi.

I have a question about just exams in general.

Do we have to pass the final exam to pass the unit?
Or can we fail by a bit if the rest of our assessments can keep us above 50% overall?

I just need to know what is and what isn't, because I'm a little worried about the heavy weighting of my exams (60%+) compared to the rest of my assessments that I've done for my subjects, because I'm just scraping passes in all of those by 5 or so percent.

Peeik

HSC
You dont need to pass the final to pass overall. You can fail your final exam and still pass your unit. However, some units do require students to pass the final, otherwise they will immediately fail. What units are you doing?

Peeik

HSC
Naa, as far as im concerned it doesnt apply to those units. You just need to pass overall.

JustAnotherOne

HSC
At the start of the Unit of Study, you would have been given an information sheet that lists the assessment policy for that unit (i.e. what each assignment was worth, what the exam was worth, etc). Any additional requirements, such as passing certain units, would have been listed on the sheet. If you've lost the sheet it should be online on the course webpage.

As far as I know, none of those courses require that you specifically pass the exam itself, although chem often requires that you pass the lab component as well as theory to pass the unit. Apart from that, though, you generally only have to pass with a raw 50% across the whole thing.

60% is actually pretty friendly in terms of exam weighting, at least by Usyd science standards. In later years a lot of courses can get up to 70% plus.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What about for maths 1001/2? Same deal?
I would imagine so.

Unless explicitly stated in the Unit of Study Outline, there's a high chance that passing the final isn't a requirement for passing the unit.

_1234567890

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hi.

I have a question about just exams in general.

Do we have to pass the final exam to pass the unit?
Or can we fail by a bit if the rest of our assessments can keep us above 50% overall?

I just need to know what is and what isn't, because I'm a little worried about the heavy weighting of my exams (60%+) compared to the rest of my assessments that I've done for my subjects, because I'm just scraping passes in all of those by 5 or so percent.
Read the course outline genius. It will be specified in there. Most subjects don't specifically require you to pass the final. Though, with the final worth 60% of the course, it will be very hard to pass overall if you don't pass the final (especially considering you said that you are going to into the final with a pass mark). You are screwed either way, I don't see why you really care.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)