General Thoughts: Ancient History 2005 (1 Viewer)

SaMi5

HSC
hey all,.... i went ok in the exam n ancient is one of my c=bets subjects so i shoudl of gone great but they through in a few Q's i had to bullshit about so yeh...

our school did
1. Xerxes(was easy as!)
2. Athens in the time of pericles(shit Q's but did ok)
3. 500-440BC(made shit up and did ok)
4. sparta(so gad damn easy it wasnt funny!)

so im hoping for a mark around 80 but yeh could go either way really.

OutOfOrder

HSC
I thought it was a good test, I did Akhenaten, Minoan society, NKE a3 to r2 and Spartan society. Akh was a bit awkward with the 12 mark question, minoans was easy, didn't like the NKE questions and did the Ramesses one... think i might have bullshitted my way through it, and Spartan society was easy.
overall i'm happy with it! I did around 9 pages each section..

helios_sun

HSC
I thought it was easy. But i feel so gay, im a guy and i wrote 9 pages on women in rome and had to try avoid sounding like a women or a sexist. I think i was a bit of both \though

angelic_sammy

HSC
the guy who was coming first in my year had extra time at the end of the exam
so he wrote an extra essay
then when he got out our teacher said they might not count either of the essays!!
this was the guy that was going to pull my marks up...

rocklobster

Ouch

I spent from 3.30pm-11pm last night studying and now after the exam today I have all these aggravated areas on my hands. I wish I'd learnt how to use a pen properly in primary school.
I thought the test was O.K. It wasn't particularly easy, nor was it hard. I had plenty to write for everything, except the last section on Roman government from Augustus to Titus, that was six pages of six lined paragraphs...
I'm just glad it's now all ANCIENT HISTORY!!! Hahahahaha, get it?
I'm going to go and punch myself for that joke now...

SaMi5

HSC
angelic_sammy said:
the guy who was coming first in my year had extra time at the end of the exam
so he wrote an extra essay
then when he got out our teacher said they might not count either of the essays!!
this was the guy that was going to pull my marks up...
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! wtf why would he do that let alone think it would be ok!....

lextasy

HSC
rocklobster said:
I'm just glad it's now all ANCIENT HISTORY!!! Hahahahaha, get it?
I'm going to go and punch myself for that joke now...
embarassingly enough... i let out a chuckle...

Don Mackey

That was the best exam that could have possibly been set. The Augustus question on the establishment and maintenance of his power was the exact same question that we got in the trial. For my other historical period I had prepared for Vespasian and the question we got was Evaluate the achievements of Vespasian as Princeps. It was incredible and very very lucky. Cleopatra was a bloody sinch only the question on the donations etc was a little odd. With society there was not enough space to write everything. I have to say the exam was the best possible outcome from what could have been a very difficult exam.

Kd14

HSC
I reckon it was straight forward, although I got confused on the personalities one..

xploda08

HSC
KoeN said:
Yeah, Dennis here (on KoeN's account.)

I thought it was fairly difficult- hard to understand and bloody specific in some parts. I kind of left early. i've got IPT to prepare for this afternoon!

F***ing exams....
Hey i was in d same boat as u man....DAMN IPT AND ANCIENT IN ONE DAY!! Well i reckon i did quite well for Ancient History but i have to admit i was shittin' myself cos i didnt study till d day b4 and d mornin b4. Luckily for some reason everytime i study ancient it stays in my head. I'm pretty happy with the whole Ancient exam and i think i'll get either a band 4 or 5. Anyways these are the questions i answered:
Section I (Personality): Xerxes
Section II (Society): Minoans
Section III (Period): Persia
Section IV (Society): Spartans

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Hmm.. I thought it was a very straightforward exam. I had finished about an hour earlier than the rest of my class (which was only 6 people) but felt a very strange inkling that perhaps they shall be marking harder this year than usual. I poured out every fact in my brain that I possibly could, but also lamented that I spent so much time on a comprehensive knowledge of Amenhotep III to Ramses II when I only ended up answering the question on Akhenaten's religious reforms.

I liked the Fall of Rome Question on Pompey and I laughed at the fact they repeated questions from pre-HSC and pre-Trials on Caesar.

JadieWadie

HSC
PHHHEEWWW!Thank god it's over

I was soooo relieved! I had been stressing majorly about this exam but I need not of worried. There was no trick questions in any of my electives, I luuurve Themistocles, he's so hot right now! Sparta short answer, easy, what was with asking for two kings? So simple! Phew, only one more to go!

Robert422

HSC
Felt alright about the test afterwards, however the essay questions were a bit specific but thats what you have to be prepared for i suppose. Minoan last essay on women was a bitch! and i say this cause we only covered that area of the syllabus late in the course as it wasnt considered a likely question (apparently) well that was wrong. All in all 70% is the target but i am confident on the possibilty of 80% + but only time will tell. Glad ill never have to see New kingdom Egypt, thutmoisis and hatshepsut content again! Thanks To Mrs.Gibbs for her support and input :)

Regards,

Robert Murphy

NRNOFRIENDS

HSC
N/A
it was bullshit, so very generic... good work BOS test the Delian League and persian wars every single year, thatl really test peoples knowledge... for people like me who gave thesubject some credit and studied things that hadn't been asked yet or for a while got fucked, whilst assholes who put in minimal work and studied the same old shit, i.e one (usually military) aspect of each topic got highly rewarded... fo Greece i had learnt at least six essays of which NONE were examined, for NK to T4 the same deal only with about 4... sorry everyone for bitching but im bummed about this, it shows u that hard work doesnt always pay off

dumbralph

HSC
NRNOFRIENDS said:
it was bullshit, so very generic... good work BOS test the Delian League and persian wars every single year, thatl really test peoples knowledge... for people like me who gave thesubject some credit and studied things that hadn't been asked yet or for a while got fucked, whilst assholes who put in minimal work and studied the same old shit, i.e one (usually military) aspect of each topic got highly rewarded... fo Greece i had learnt at least six essays of which NONE were examined, for NK to T4 the same deal only with about 4... sorry everyone for bitching but im bummed about this, it shows u that hard work doesnt always pay off
what bulshit...just becaseu we were smart enough to actually study the persian wars seeing as though the BOS tests them every year...doesnt mean we did minimal work...and if u were putting in all that "hard work" why on earth didnt you study the perian wars...

mustarrd

HSC
dumbralph said:
what bulshit...just becaseu we were smart enough to actually study the persian wars seeing as though the BOS tests them every year...doesnt mean we did minimal work...and if u were putting in all that "hard work" why on earth didnt you study the perian wars...
wow lucky you said that before i said te same thing it a less plesant way! WHY wouldnt you, if you have all the time to learn 6 different essays, follow the pattern that YOU KNOW IS THERE and make AT LEAST one of your essays about it?!?!? this is jus inconprehensible to me?! Oh and just because you decided to go left wing and study things that wernt likely to turn up, is no need to generalise and tell everony who studied the obvious thing that they only did minimal work. MAybe you know some people that did, but i can bet theres a whole lot more people that worked their buts off for this subject. Dont let your mistake be anyones elses fault. Nobody needs you to lah out at them.

NRNOFRIENDS

HSC
N/A
im talking specifically about people in my class, who bragged in my face when they got lucky. Don't take offence just coz im bitter. I did do essays on these but as they were last years questions gave them less time (to revise), and my details werent as good when i got in there. Give me a break im not saying people who studied hard and did the token stuff dont deserve their marks, its just annoying when you top a subject coz u try hard and then get screwed in the final exam because they don't test the whole syllabus.

Last edited:

xbitterflyx

Batmaniac
HSC
NRNOFRIENDS said:

Its the same as how the test other historical periods. Everybody knows that, that Greek World period question is on Delian Legue, Persian Wars or Athenian Empire because THAT IS ALL THAT WAS HAPPENING THEN... your teacher should have told you... the only time they didnt ask persian wars all the history teachers had a big uproar because the league and wars are pretty much the only things on the syllubus for Greek World... hard work does pay off as long as you are smart enough to do the hard work on something relevant.

Just out of curiosity What did you study?

xbitterflyx

Batmaniac
HSC
I didnt think the exam was easy but it wasnt overly hard either, most of my class finished with 15 minutes to spare.

I did:
Personality: Jezebel
Society: Israel to the fall of Samaria
Period: Greek world- Persian Wars
and
Additional Society: Sparta - i did the women question

I didnt really like the personality question about their religion mostly because there was only so much you could write and I dont think I wrote enough

Thats just my opinion :)

No more years will have Jezebel... feel sorry for them she was cool :)

Last edited:

Master Gopher

HSC
I did:

Personality: Julius Caesar
(easy as pie)

Society: Sparta
(not as easy as pie. Maybe as easy as cake. I should've done more detail on the 10-marker)

Historical Period: Fall of the Republic
(Did the army question, about 8 pages. Was alright. Should've done more detail)

Additional Period: Augustus and the J-C's
(Did contributions and impact question. Was brilliant, did 10 pages, very pleased with.)

Overall, it was a good, straighforward exam. No random trick stuff, or unexpected questions. Predicatable, maybe - a lot of my work I couldn't use, which I might've if they'd asked some more unusual questions. Basically, I wanted an excuse to show off excessive study, so I shouldn't be complaining. I would've loved a Tiberius question rather than Nero, that would've been brilliant. But you can't have it all.

I'm pretty much happy with it. I can't guess at my mark very well, it could be anything between 75 and maybe 93. Not more than that I don't think, unless I wrote better than I remember, or I get nice markers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)