General Thoughts - Ancient History (1 Viewer)

nadinenadine123

HSC
^emmie^ said:
i thought u were only alowed to write in the space provided that sucks i could have wrote way more

im not being mean to u but i think this is unfair cause im sure allot of people didnt no this either
lol. don't even worry, if you read the "notes from the marking centre" every year they comment on people going over the line limit, saying that the space given should be sufficient to answer the question.

darrynXtreem

HSC
MyLoveIsPure said:
whoever said they finished this test in 1h 10mins and think they got band 6 is a blow arse. WHat, you wrote like 2 pages from each essay?
On the subject of blow arses, I did Pompeii (as most of us did), Part 2 Sparta (4 pages), Part 3 Caesar (6 pages) and Part 4 Naval (4.5 pages).

The exam questions suited my prepared answers perfectly and I used my memorized essay almost word-for-word. We pay top dollar at my school for the only the cream de la creme of teachers. My teacher has been marking Ancient History for 13 years and she says my essays are right up there with the top of Band 6.

Now for Extension History!

Hermes3

HSC
nadinenadine123 said:
lol. don't even worry, if you read the "notes from the marking centre" every year they comment on people going over the line limit, saying that the space given should be sufficient to answer the question.
Exactly right! they also comment that many people who did use extra paper still didnt manage to get full mark!..

Emmi, how much time did you spend on pompeii section?

each section worths 25 marks - each section should take 45 minutes.

bored6

HSC
darrynXtreem said:
On the subject of blow arses, I did Pompeii (as most of us did), Part 2 Sparta (4 pages), Part 3 Caesar (6 pages) and Part 4 Naval (4.5 pages).

The exam questions suited my prepared answers perfectly and I used my memorized essay almost word-for-word. We pay top dollar at my school for the only the cream de la creme of teachers. My teacher has been marking Ancient History for 13 years and she says my essays are right up there with the top of Band 6.

Now for Extension History!
Make sure you tell us what mark you end up with.

original123

*Original Convention*
HSC
(Great big sob)
I don't believe the idiocy instilled in me. I came out all confident, only to realize I missed the word 'naval' in the Greek World 500-440 Question. NAVAL battles. I HATE myself for missing that!
No sarcasm. If you want to say something TRY to make me feel better lol. The exam, however, was fantastic. Apart from my moronic gestures.

sally13579

HSC
Hermes3 said:
Exactly right! they also comment that many people who did use extra paper still didnt manage to get full mark!..

Emmi, how much time did you spend on pompeii section?

each section worths 25 marks - each section should take 45 minutes.

it's so true everyone in all subjects focuses so much on the number of pages they have written for each section like its some competition who has the fastest moving hand and most knowledgeable brain (or alternatively biggest writing or the most amount of crossing out).

i also don't understand how people just assume oh i wrote 16 pages im getting band six. i couldnt guess my mark even if i tried, sure i think i did well but you never know for sure, i cant even remember how many pages i wrote.

it seems to be the way of this sight to brag about how well you did how many pages you wrote and to quote the bored of studies marking notes like you fall aslep at night reading them.

if you want to brag about your awesome skills do it in a way that doesn't make it seem as though your opinions aren't the be all and end all and that if someone didn't write two extra booklets for pomp/herc there not as good as you or in for just as good a chance.

subhuman-89

HSC
sally13579 said:
it's so true everyone in all subjects focuses so much on the number of pages they have written for each section like its some competition who has the fastest moving hand and most knowledgeable brain (or alternatively biggest writing or the most amount of crossing out).

i also don't understand how people just assume oh i wrote 16 pages im getting band six. i couldnt guess my mark even if i tried, sure i think i did well but you never know for sure, i cant even remember how many pages i wrote.

it seems to be the way of this sight to brag about how well you did how many pages you wrote and to quote the bored of studies marking notes like you fall aslep at night reading them.

if you want to brag about your awesome skills do it in a way that doesn't make it seem as though your opinions aren't the be all and end all and that if someone didn't write two extra booklets for pomp/herc there not as good as you or in for just as good a chance.
Your rant made me smile. =) You are so right. =)

I found the exam pretty good. Better than expected. I too cannot understand how someone can leave a 3 hour exam so early, and expect a band 6. =O It's just physically impossible to write enough detail for all of the questions.

As for extra paper - It says it on your exam "Extra writing booklets are available." I don't know if they had this printed on the P&H section also, I didn't see. But I assume they did. (Correct me if I am wrong please. =)) Even our supervisors said that if we needed more paper for it then to ask.
But I agree with what has already been said, the space provided is enough to get the marks you need. If you write really big... then obviously you need more. ;)

P&H - Fairly easy. Water question was a little tricky. Reigion was hard for me cause I didn't study it. Had to rely on what I could remember from class. Lucky I was up at 5 this morning going over the archaeologists in detail. =)

Old Kingdom Egypt Society - Really easy.

Hatshepsut - Best questions ever! Esp T3 question.

Old Kingdom Egypt Period - My downfall. Answered question on collapse of Old Kingdom. Would have prefered the other question if it was about the nature of unification and not importance.

I noticed that hardly anyone does Old Kingdom for either society or period. Personally, I really liked it and found it very interesting. =)

I'm being realistic and hoping for a band six, but won't be surprised if it turns out to be a band 5. =) Either way, I'm happy.

As for paying top dollar for your teachers. - The amount of money you pay for your education will not reflect the quality of your teachers. I go to a public school (and I pay my general contribution) and according to ME I have the best teacher there is. ;) She spent most of the past two days sitting with my friend and I at school whenever she had spare moments, answering our questions. She'd be up past midnight each night giving lengthy responses to the questions students would email her. Perhaps your teachers dedication to teaching you will reflect your mark, rather than how long they have been marking the HSC for (which my teacher has been doing for quite some time anyway). Did I not mention how my teacher has contacts with many of the scholars that we had to quote in our answers.

Sorry... I just get a little touchy when people think their teacher is the best cause they paid lots of money for their education. And sorry about the long rant. Forgive me.

Good luck with the rest of your exams everyone... that's if you have any more. ;)

Last edited:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
hayleeat said:
which question did people pick for sec four - AIII to death of R
the one about A3 cos it was broad and simple
we did the queens one as an assessment but i could barely remember it
i think i did alright with A3 no big issues, just couldn't remember much for buildings -_-

bored6

HSC
subhuman-89 said:
Your rant made me smile. =) You are so right. =)

I found the exam pretty good. Better than expected. I too cannot understand how someone can leave a 3 hour exam so early, and expect a band 6. =O It's just physically impossible to write enough detail for all of the questions.

As for extra paper - It says it on your exam "Extra writing booklets are available." I don't know if they had this printed on the P&H section also, I didn't see. But I assume they did. (Correct me if I am wrong please. =)) Even our supervisors said that if we needed more paper for it then to ask.
But I agree with what has already been said, the space provided is enough to get the marks you need. If you write really big... then obviously you need more. ;)

P&H - Fairly easy. Water question was a little tricky. Reigion was hard for me cause I didn't study it. Had to rely on what I could remember from class. Lucky I was up at 5 this morning going over the archaeologists in detail. =)

Old Kingdom Egypt Society - Really easy.

Hatshepsut - Best questions ever! Esp T3 questions.

Old Kingdom Egypt Period - My downfall. Answered question on collapse of Old Kingdom. Would have prefered the other question if it was about the nature of unification and not importance.

I noticed that hardly anyone does Old Kingdom for either society or period. Personally, I really liked it and found it very interesting. =)

I'm being realistic and hoping for a band six, but won't be surprised if it turns out to be a band 5. =) Either way, I'm happy.

As for paying top dollar for your teachers. - The amount of money you pay for your education will not reflect the quality of your teachers. I go to a public school (and I pay my general contribution) and according to ME I have the best teacher there is. ;) She spent most of the past two days sitting with my friend and I at school whenever she had spare moments, answering our questions. She'd be up past midnight each night giving lengthy responses to the questions students would email her. Perhaps your teachers dedication to teaching you will reflect your mark, rather than how long they have been mrking the HSC for (which my teacher has been doing for quite some time anyway). Did I not mention how my teacher has contacts with many of the scholars that we had to quote in our answers.

Sorry... I just get a little touchy when people think their teacher is the best cause they paid lots of money for their education. And sorry got the long rant. Forgive me. Good luck with the rest of your exams anyone... that's if you have any. ;)
I know your teacher she blows mate sorry.

tox

HSC
I did:
Pompeii
Sparta
Agrippina II
Augustus

Yeah i agree with people so far, i found the exam pretty good.

I actaully wish they gave us lined paper for section II though, because I couldn't judge how much to write and ended up wasting a lot of time there. Other than that, I'm quite happy with that exam, hoping for a band 6 but won't be unhappy with a 5.

=)

isobel-x

HSC
This message is for all those arrogant losers crapping on about how brilliantly they felt they went...
GET OVER YOURSELVES.
that goes for all the other exam forums as well.
that be all.

subhuman-89

HSC
bored6 said:
I know your teacher she blows mate sorry.
Oh, that's a lovely thing to say.

I'll assume that you have been taught by my teacher then?

Besides, I gave no hints as to who my teacher actually is, so your pathetic response "blows".

MonsterCookie

HSC
simonelye said:
Okay.
I Honestly too do not see how it is possible to get a band 6 by leaving early. Thats bullshit. im assessed second. and All us top ten kids wrote the entire exam! To have well planned, well answered, detailed responses you cannot leave early and still expect a band 6.
it is stupid.

Oh and how can you not have known to ask for more paper?
Every single guidelines from the marking centre have said 'many opted to go to an extra book' and such.
I filled almost an extra 2 books for pompeii.
i mean 10 marks on archaologists cannot hardly come from a page and a half unless you write teeny.
which not many people do.
You should have just asked your supervisors for more paper.
Honestly.
most schools are taught that.
I dont know why yours didnt.

Okay...when you were reading the guidelines for marking, did you bother to pay attention to the part that said that it was NOT necessary, and often just a waste of time to write more for the Pompeii section than was indicated by the lines given? Because the markers made that pretty clear after last years paper when people wrote way more than was needed. They give you that amount of lines for a reason - that is how much they expect you to write. You can get full marks by just filling those lines, and extra writing doesn't always get you extra marks...quality not quantity.

No offence of course.

However, you make a very good point about leaving early and expecting a band 6...IMPOSSIBLE!!! Out of my class of 15, 2 of us were left when the exam finished, and the first few left after the first hour was up...but atleast none of those kids from my class will be expecting a band 6. They aren't that unrealistic...

Honestly, i don't understand how you could possibly leave the exam early...what a waste of 2 years of study...

tox

HSC
isobel-x said:
This message is for all those arrogant losers crapping on about how brilliantly they felt they went...
GET OVER YOURSELVES.
that goes for all the other exam forums as well.
that be all.
Pft, healthy self esteem is good for your confidence. Something has to keep us going.

Finicoll

HSC
Hmm i agree - my teacher has been awesome and i go to a public school. She may have drilled us like a nazi with loads of historians and an overload of information but it payed off in the end as everyone was so happy when we walked out. Particularly as we had done exactly 80 + % of it before...

P&H: Total fluke but had the exact same picture and water question in our trial, as well as the exact same religion question and temple of isis picture in our half yearly. Archaeology question was a tad unexpected tho

Old Kingdom Egypt for Society: Questions were so vague and easy, allowed the application of information from historical period

Old Kingdom Egypt Historical Period: Had trouble choosing which essay question to do because the historiography of both was so juicy, plus had the same unification question in my half yearly and same collapse question in my yearly.

Agrippina: Seneca and Burrus was ok, a little on the hard side to answer eloquently but the evaluate was the epitome of generic and again the same as the question we had in our trial.

So all in all a very good generic ancient history - although we were super lucky in having to have virtually already answered what was pratically the same paper!

As for Band 6 in under an hour - impossible - if u get it, let us all know!

isobel-x

HSC
tox said:
Pft, healthy self esteem is good for your confidence. Something has to keep us going.
self esteem? pretty sure its called arrogance mate.

tox

HSC
isobel-x said:
Mm.. nope.

The thread is titled "general thoughts". These are my general thoughts. I feel good. I think I did well.

HistoryQueen

HSC
Ancient was AWESOME
looooooved the exam best one sooo far!!!
soooo pleased with it everything fell into place, essay for IV on evaluating Amenhotep III couldnt have been better!!
n i thought the trial paper was gd this one was fantastic, really pleased.
whole paper i loved and expecting really really high b6 for it :D

subhuman-89

HSC
isobel-x said:
I understand exactly where you are coming from, but I don't think there is anything wrong with people sharing their thoughts on the exam.

Not everyone has said that they have aced the exam anyway.
Although I have found that the majority of people who post in the forum are dedicated students who do well anyway. =D Not to say that people who don't post arn't dedicated, that would be completely untrue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)