General thoughts: English Advanced Modules Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

tfw english

HSC
Module C was weird for Reynolds :S And I'm over the moon they didn't ask for intertextual perspectives concerning gender for 1984/Metropolis lol.
It was a hard question to answer for Reynolds wasn't it? I found it pretty difficult, the other two were good, thankfully.

ming mong

HSC
You didn't finish the paper yet you are expecting a low band 5.......??
I believe in the scaling power of my school.

Edit: Ok nevermind. I'll aim for a high band 4. This "band" stuff... does it include your internal marks as well?

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
I'm definitely only getting a band 4 in english, a high band 4 hopefully but potentially a mid band 4. Need to try get a band 6 in either bio,chem,physics now. Fuck.
Why do you say that?

Mr_Kap

HSC
Why do you say that?
Realised I probably only wrote 900 words for Mod C not 1000 words as i thought before. I started strong but expression may be slightly sloppy in the last body paragraph. Hoping for a 15/20, but thinking because it was 900 words probably on a 14/20
Hamlet 720 words (2.5 pages) ---> no conclusion, last thing i wrote was in the middle of a sentence in the last body paragraph (because got robbed by BOSTES), very short (and looks shorter than it is)...gonna get negged by the marker in this...expecting 7/20. Hopefully our school can make a claim to BOSTES and fix our marks somehow.
Metropolis and 1984 ---> my good essay. Had to combine my last two body paragraphs into one though (they were on the same idea and i combined the last paragraph for 1984 idea 3 and Metropolis idea 3.) Expecting a 16/20.

So overall idk. But yeh. that means around 62% in this paper (if i get 14/20 for MOD C not 15/20).

Last edited:

ming mong

HSC
But for English advanced, don't you also have to incorporate your paper 1 results? who knows, you could've gotten full marks in it.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
The Citizen Kane question was basically my school's term 2 assessment HAHA

Mod A was fucked though - social divisions in letters to alice??? no thanks

The mod c question was so generic that I had trouble understanding what it actually meant rofl

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
Lol the guy coming last in our grade got 0. He literally wrote nothing on his paper and he isn't appealing. FML that affects our moderated mark.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Interested to see what past students (or those knowledgeable in the subject) have to say about this as well. Especially as so many have asserted the exam to be ~unnaturally~ easy this year.

Module C was weird for Reynolds :S And I'm over the moon they didn't ask for intertextual perspectives concerning gender for 1984/Metropolis lol.

Remember the marker will try their best to award marks wherever possible. And I don't think English marking is all that harsh.

I rushed through paper 2, having to cut down on my Mod C essay significantly in order to finish. Still got a B6. So all you can do now is forget about it bc its over, and worry about your other exams :)

Your questions didn't seem all that easy compared to last year, I wouldn't worry about scaling and all that

But for English advanced, don't you also have to incorporate your paper 1 results? who knows, you could've gotten full marks in it.
Full marks in English isn't that common with in being so subjective. But it's very possible.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I believe in the scaling power of my school.

Edit: Ok nevermind. I'll aim for a high band 4. This "band" stuff... does it include your internal marks as well?
Yes your internal performance influences your final mark, and hence the Band. But it's not just your school exam marks that are used, there's a process by which an ''assessment mark'' (internal mark) is derived based on a number of factors (this process has been discussed many times on this site).

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
Except that the module explicitly requires context. Amusingly, textual integrity is also a key part of mod b but you at least might be able to get away with not mentioning it since the entire damn module isn't named after. No Mod A response is complete without a consideration of context.
For my module c trials, the question made literally no mention or implied the requirement of context. The question was basically how the text represented good and evil. I didn't mention context in my essay and there was a marker comment right on there telling me to put context. Don't know if my school is just retarded or u need 2 do it.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Lol the guy coming last in our grade got 0. He literally wrote nothing on his paper and he isn't appealing. FML that affects our moderated mark.
I think outliers won't be used for that.

ming mong

HSC
Does that mean selective school scaling is a lot higher than others? I'm genuinely unsure as to how much higher cuz I know people in non-selective schools who got 99.5+... I don't really understand the concept of moderated marks.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
For my module c trials, the question made literally no mention or implied the requirement of context. The question was basically how the text represented good and evil. I didn't mention context in my essay and there was a marker comment right on there telling me to put context. Don't know if my school is just retarded or u need 2 do it.
I think you do because representations are influenced by the composer's personal views, and thus, informed by context.

in any case, English is over

it can't hurt us anymore

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Does that mean selective school scaling is a lot higher than others? I'm genuinely unsure as to how much higher cuz I know people in non-selective schools who got 99.5+... I don't really understand the concept of moderated marks.
Loosely speaking, the better your cohort does in the externals, the better the internal moderation will be; so schools that tend to do well in externals will tend to have better internal moderation.

c_circular_c

HSC
Is no conclusion guaranteed band 5 material? even if you wrote like 6 pages / decent thesis ?

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Is no conclusion guaranteed band 5 material? even if you wrote like 6 pages / decent thesis ?
No conclusion = incomplete argument
Good essay = whole argument
No conclusion = bad essay

I think if you're lucky, yes a band 5. Maybe a high band 4 to be more realistic, but depends on your paper 1 as well as your other module essays.

Machination

HSC
Luckily my class do pretty well. I mean at least everyone is passing

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
I also didn't like the R3 & LFR question. I felt it was more directed that a lot of the past questions, being ONLY deceit, where say, our trial question was 'identity', allowing one to discuss a few ideas, say identity of women and characterization of Richard. I threw in some strange idea of 'deceit of self' at the end, but the question just threw my entire response off. Ugh.

Mythos

HSC
Actually, they can penalise a maximum of 2-3 marks for not having a conclusion, so technically it's still possible to remain in the Band 6 range.
I've always been told by teachers that not having a conclusion is worse than not having your last body paragraph

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)