General thoughts: English Advanced Modules Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

teridax

HSC
N/A
I think it is highly unlikely that you can get an "A" range response with 800 words. Like my English teacher says you need around 1000-1200 words approx to get into an "A" range. 800 words basically locks you into the "B" range. It is hard to get the quality without the quantity. Even if you wrote very succinct and sophisticated 800 words is a bit of a stretch possibly 900 words.
True, it's still possible but yes, it's harder to get an A range mark with only 800 words. Other than that, you're right; quality + quantity = excellent essay.

teridax

HSC
N/A
I don't know I tried to quickly conclude it, lol.
yeah, if that was your line of argument for the remainder of your essay, the marker would probs frown upon your hamlet response

oh well, english is over

Vizsla

HSC
omg that test was so ez XD xD XD XD politicsal ambiguity dae easy peasy lemon squezz. Atar goal 99.95, goals in advanced english 80+ only XD XD yet i werote 9 bloody pages!!!

Physicklad

HSC
Hmm. Interesting point arguing that mortality is subjective. To me, I believed that mortality is the only objective truth amidst a world full of false appearances. Hamlet expresses in the graveyard scene how everyone is ultimately reduced to an insignificant "quintessence of dust"
"Alexander died, Alexander was buried, Alexander returneth to dust"
yeah same i did that too. nah although he says that its still this massive existential uncertainty. Like Hamlet says 'death is a country from where no traveller returns' even though the nigga just seen daddy's ghost so he contradicts himself

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
yeah same i did that too. nah although he says that its still this massive existential uncertainty. Like Hamlet says 'death is a country from where no traveller returns' even though the nigga just seen daddy's ghost so he contradicts himself
Yeah this is what I argued

Master Singleton

The Night Owl
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh. I found it better because there was no creative, and no short answer. I prefer 3 essays, easier to manage time in rather than the short answer which takes like 50 minutes if i want to finish it fully. But idk if i did better in this paper than yesteday's because of the way BOSTES screwed our school over so my Hamlet essay is meh.
What School is it?

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Except that the module explicitly requires context. Amusingly, textual integrity is also a key part of mod b but you at least might be able to get away with not mentioning it since the entire damn module isn't named after. No Mod A response is complete without a consideration of context.
Exactly this. It's a comparative study of text and context. Not dealing with context means you're not answering half the module. The comparison with Mod B and textual integrity is not the same: If Mod B was a 'Close Study of Textual Integrity' then there would be parallels.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Everyone is so confident for their responses...

Meanwhile, I keep reflecting if I even answered the questions correctly. T__T

Master Singleton

The Night Owl
HSC
Uni Grad
Paper was not too hard not too easy.

1984 and Metropolis --> Basically wrote my memorised essay, adapted to question but it basically already answered the question. Spent 45 minutes here.

Speeches by Auden ---> Question was weird compared to what I had seen before. I had a good memorised essay but needed to change sections, but still it was fine overall. Only wrote around 1000 words for this. This took 45 minutes.

And now Hamlet. I always knew this was my worst module so I only left myself 30 minutes to write it in...meaning I could get around 850 words on this section. It isn't great, but it would have been fine. The question wasn't too difficult, had prepared for it, agreed with question however also said that Hamlet was a play about some other bullshit a critic said and explained his delay. FFS. BOSTES DESERVE TO ROT IN A GRAVE. THEY ONLY GAVE OUR SCHOOL 1 HOUR AND 55 MINUTES TO DO IT IN!!!!!!! THE GUY SAID TIME UP WITH 5 MINUTES LEFT, EVEN WHEN THE CLOCK IN THE ROOM AND THE WHITEBOARD SHOWED WE HAD ANOTHER 5 MINUTES.....MEANING I ONLY GOT 25 MINUTES FOR HAMLET AND wrote only around 720 words..... and I DIDN"T EVEN KNOW THE TIME WAS GONNA BE UP EARLY, SO I WAS MID SENTENCE. FUCK YOU BOSTES. WE told him and he was like, "i go by my stopwatch, I'm not responsible for the board or the clock".....and then we told him that we started on the clock at 9:35 and the time then was 11:30, and he was like, WE DON"T look at that...we only look at my stopwatch. WELL WHAT IF YOU FORGET TO RESET THE TIME AFTER READING TIME ON YOUR STOPWATCH!!!!!And no-one touched that fucken clock on the wall so how could it magically travel 5 minutes slower?? The other supervisors told him that we still had 5 minutes but he wouldn't even listen to them

FFS. RIP HAMLET. FUCK YOU BOSTES!!!

How is this even fair?
Send an Email to BOSTES complaining that your BOSTES supervisor for your school's English Paper 2 is incompetent, unfair, inethical and biased forgot that 5 mins reading time wasn't included into the full 2hrs ended the exam 5 mins early and see if BOSTES would give your school special consideration for English Paper 2.

Last edited:

ming mong

HSC
Woah. Everyone's so smart.. I didn't even finish my exam and some people in my school didn't either...

Dang. I'm aiming for a low band 5.

Last edited:

YouCantMakeMe

HSC
N/A
How difficult do you think the marking will be?
Interested to see what past students (or those knowledgeable in the subject) have to say about this as well. Especially as so many have asserted the exam to be ~unnaturally~ easy this year.

Module C was weird for Reynolds :S And I'm over the moon they didn't ask for intertextual perspectives concerning gender for 1984/Metropolis lol.

Flop21

HSC
Woah. Everyone's so smart.. I didn't even finish my exam and a lot of the people in my school didn't either...

Dang. I'm aiming for a low band 5.
You didn't finish the paper yet you are expecting a low band 5.......??

Mr_Kap

HSC
Well around 40 something percent of the state doing advanced english get a band 5. Plus, the other essays he finished (im guesing only one essay he didn't finish) might be good.

Machination

HSC
I'll say one thing, I've fucked up english so bad, RIP my ATAR.

Good paper though, but just my shittness screwed everything up, worst essays I've ever written.
Yeah! There no one to blame than myself. BUT! Theres no time regretting and feeling down about it. I still got 4 more to go and hopefully they will save my Atar =D

YouCantMakeMe

HSC
N/A
Depends on the scope: By not finishing, Ming could mean they forgot to write the final sentence in their conclusion (which is not that big of a deal).

It also depends on the quality. B6/ B5/ B4 students will all write roughly around the same number of words. A high B6 student could have left out half their last paragraph and conclusion and still achieve a low B5.

Flop21

HSC
Well around 40 something percent of the state doing advanced english get a band 5. Plus, the other essays he finished (im guesing only one essay he didn't finish) might be good.
Maybe I should of done that then. Left last essay and just focus on making 1st two essays amazing.

So 40% get band 5 and 10% get band 6, soooo hopefully that means I'm in the top 50% at least and will get a band 5.

Mr_Kap

HSC
I'm definitely only getting a band 4 in english, a high band 4 hopefully but potentially a mid band 4. Need to try get a band 6 in either bio,chem,physics now. Fuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)