General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

sodam

HSC
fuck our school ran out of booklets to give us
fml
couldnt write half of my mod C

danniomc

HSC
So happy my school didn't choose speeches! But not to worry people who did the specific speeches elective, the BOS aligns the marks question by question, so if the whole state did much worse in a question, the marks will be aligned to match the rest of the electives :)

betwixtsleepeth

Random Kid
HSC
Well, modules was a real shocker. Let's see:
Module A [Pride and Prejudice/Letters to Alice]: Differences in textual form? They're both novels! Saying one's epistolary in nature while the other's not only goes so far! Alright question overall
Module B [Citizen Kane]: I've yet to find anyone who did Citizen Kane and claims they did well. Two issues: a) There is no inherent tension between stability and change in the film, the only thing vaguely referring to that is Kane's emotional state, and b) characterisation? It's a film! Symbolism galore, but not much characterizing. As someone in my year claimed though, "to what extent" was the saving grace.
Module C [Birthday Letters]: Decent question, very similar to past Module C questions, just VERY convoluted. Wonder why they never specify a poem for us, like they do with the other sets of speeches and poems. Lucky us I guess...

huyennessyy

HSC
To my surprise, the paper wasn't that hard at all. I managed my time well which I can't say I did for the first paper... Mod A Frankenstein/Blade Runner and Mod C History and Memory was straightforward in what they were asking. As for Hamlet, it was a bit confusing but I think I came out of it okay. Don't think it was my best work under pressure, but it's over so be happy!!! :jump:

daniel1808

HSC
N/A
i had speeches with bandler memorised and i wrote 1200 words in 3 pages :/ im on the other side of the spectrum

daniel1808

HSC
N/A
suck shit, should've studied all of the speeches like you were suppose to

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
Module A [Pride and Prejudice/Letters to Alice]: Differences in textual form? They're both novels! Saying one's epistolary in nature while the other's not only goes so far! Alright question overall
Module B [Citizen Kane]: I've yet to find anyone who did Citizen Kane and claims they did well. Two issues: a) There is no inherent tension between stability and change in the film, the only thing vaguely referring to that is Kane's emotional state, and b) characterisation? It's a film! Symbolism galore, but not much characterizing. As someone in my year claimed though, "to what extent" was the saving grace.
Module C [Birthday Letters]: Decent question, very similar to past Module C questions, just VERY convoluted. Wonder why they never specify a poem for us, like they do with the other sets of speeches and poems. Lucky us I guess...
I'm pretty sure the question was a "To what extent" question, hence you could have said to a minimal extent and argued otherwise etc.

kenkap

HSC
i did citizen kane...it wasnt that bad. i completely disagreed with the statement hahaha and wrote my own BS

Estival

HSC
N/A
Letters to Alice is labelled as nonfiction, under the Board of Studies. It's not a novel.

Last edited:

Ryan_T90

HSC
Mod A: Frankenstein / Blade Runner - 6 pages
Mod B: Hamlet - 6 pages
Mod C: Denise Levertov Poetry - 8 pages

Great day at the office to be honest, questions were fantastic!

katebeast

HSC
Module A: Pride and Prejudice was wickedddddddddddddddd :)

Module B: Loved Hamlet too, because you could manipulate it.

Module C History and Memory: I can't tell whether I answered the question properly or completely farked it. I seriously have no idea which way it'll go :S

elloelloelle

HSC
Uni Grad
Mod B was niiiiice :D yeats, they picked a good poem, heaps to talk about
Mod A was kinda like "really? you couldn't do anything better than steal an old mod c question?" but at least it was broad..
Mod C was a bit weird lol... i do TJG but bullshittable i think (Y)

hernameisnoelle

HSC
Loved it, hoping for a 17/20, 18/20 and 16+/20.
I'm hoping for something like that too. In the trials I got 17/20, 19/20 and 17/20.

I was just so happy with Hamlet because it wasn't a specified act. I was happy with The Justice Game as well because it only needed at least one related text. :')

Riaa

HSC
module a: the austen and weldon extremely straight forward.
module b: i didn't even see that they specified 'At Morington' until after the exams when everyone was like fuck harwood.. luckily one of the poems i wrote about was 'At Morington.' also linked it to 'The Violets' and 'A Vaediction' as well. it was harsh not to provide at least a quote!
module c: straight forward for Wag The Dog. really really suited conflicting perspectives. Slightly disappointed it was one related :p

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
To be completely honest, I felt that the Advanced exam was overall quite underwhelming.

Belonging was not challenging at all (besides some dodgy creative stimulus clearly taken from a health insurance pamphlet) and even though I'm an incredibly slow reader (I am not exaggerating, the last book I read for my own enjoyment was way back in year 7 and before that I wasn't a heavy reader at all and since year 7 I have maybe read a grand total of 4.5 books in total of english texts, including this year, so my reading speed is honestly like a snail) I managed to skim through every text in section 1 and take into consideration answers to the questions in the reading time. The short response section and the essay question were virtually the same as the CSSA catholic paper, even the question on imagery in S1 seemed like a cut and paste from the CSSA, so given that my marks were 13/15 and 15/15/ respectively, probably about the same this time round.

I felt modules were a lot better in terms of difficulty but still reasonably easy to answer. Mod A was a blessing of a question for Frankenstein/Blade Runner, and also given that I'd already answered virtually the same question in the CSSA catholic trial and gotten 19/20 for it, i'm expecting roughly the same. Hamlet was asking for quite a lot in your response but I feel like I answered it quite well so hoping for 18+ in it. The Conflicting Perspectives question was probably the hardest, or at least the most cryptic, so I'm not 100% confident with my response but I'm content with the way I handled it so 17+ is probably a reasonable expectation.

In terms of writing booklets, averaging 6-10 words a line I wrote;

Belonging -
S1: 8.5 pages
S2: 9 pages
S3: 9 pages

Modules -
S1: 9 pages
S2: 10 pages
S3: 9 pages

I was estimated at 95 for Advanced by my school which I think is about right. 93-96 I reckon, but who knows, maybe I really messed up and barely made the Band 6 cut off...

Last edited:

MissMishka

HSC
Does anyone know - do we get back any of our exam papers? Do we get to read or receive what we wrote? It'd just be good to see what actually went through my head when I was writing, because most of its flown :p

Peter-PF7

HSC
N/A
History and Memory was horrible for Fiftieth Gate..? :S Loved the Hamlet question :D Any estimates for raw marks/105 for band 6 this year??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)