General Thoughts: English Paper 1 2006 (1 Viewer)

miccie_b

HSC
hmmm

section one : eight pages. thought it was fairly easy to bullshit ur way thru this question, didnt really like the photographs text but ... it was only worth 4 marks so those arent marks that are that hard to get i suppose. i hope. did this section last, spent about 20 minutes

section 2: 14 pages. id prepared two stories, one about a woman and one about a man just incase the question was gendered. the dude one was the one i didnt like as much but it fitted better so i used that. did this section second. spent about half an hour

section 3: 11 pages. totally unprepared for this question... took it as journeys posing new lessons and challenges blablabla... figure theyll either like it or loathe it... english is so freakin subjective.... did this first, took about 55 minutes.

i didn't like the paper, but it could've been worse i suppose. felt pretty bad about being relieved that everyone else came out of the exam freakin out about it aswell.

is it just me or did u walk out of that exam thinking... i cant believe i put all that work in for a two hour exam and now im meant to just forget everything....

:confused:

felt a tad silly after that.

Zoe 2508

HSC
I came out thinking, "oh shit, i didn't finish" but the long, or what seemed long, drive back home gave me time to digest it all.

I worked backwords starting with my essay. My essay was crappy, I found the question really hard so I decided to argue against it - and this could be my demise. I argued that in fact that physical journeys are about the power of the process and stated that while there was still considerable amount of importance on the "interpretation of the new" that this was not the most important aspect. I wrote 18 pages (my hand writing is freakishly large) but the essay ate into my time for the other sections so i was a bit peeved.

My story was out of this world. The one I had prepared was about a man who recollected his quest for redemption during Nazi Germany to ohis grandaughter, so you can imagine that when i saw the question that I almost wet myself with delight!!!!!!!! I wrote another 18 pages for this section, but once again its probably more like 12 pages in normal writing.

My first two responces did not leave me wiht very much time for the first section, and i found it extremely difficult. I ran out of time on the last 5 mark question and jotted down points, so I hardly think I'll me recieving marks for my analysis.

I HATED the three texts, especially number one! If I had my time again, i would spend more time on the first section...
But hey, there's nothing I can do about it now.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

sideshowtim

HSC
spadijer said:
Hmmm. Firstly, you give the impression that you had no structure and included everything you knew or your writing is VERY messy/big to be able to manage that many pages...

Secondly, when I existed the exam room I was thinking how political our exam was: It was simplified - because of the state election next year. You will notice that SC and HSC aren't as hard in previous years - generally - so State government's can say how "great" our education system is.

btw, who used 'I' in there essay?
I didn't. I was told never to use I in an essay...and I feel it sort of interrupts the flow of things. "I believe" can so simply be replaced by "It is enforced by .... that" or something similar.

mcf

HSC
jess that english test was sooooooooooooooooooo easy i think i could have done it in my sleep, ive taken easier year 6 spelling bees.it was like pissing on a wall, as easy as bat shit, a piece of cake whatever. sorry to hear not everyone has the same brain power but anyway mayabe one day.

jsb8189

HSC
Hey wrote 38 pages (10, 12, 16)

But my handwriting was ridiculously bad.... I could barely write 'journey'

Anyone know how they go about deciphering this? and if it will efect my mark?

passion89

HSC
spadijer said:
btw, who used 'I' in there essay?

I never use 'I' - even when it's permitted by the question (like last years King Lear question). It feels like it lacks sophistication to refer to yourself and your own view.

And also I don't actually agree that paper 1 was totally simplified. Section 1 was definately not what a lot of people were expecting and the journeys questions had more than half the posters on BoS stumped. I'm just hoping that the exams to come adopt the political view and are simplified for out benefit :D

HSC
They don't like it when you use "I" in an essay unless it specifically asks you for a personal reflection on the texts.

Exam overall: much nicer than last year's one. Comparatively, a thing of beauty, really.
I have a creative writing task that I can adapt to any question, Section 1 was rather kind this year, and the Inner Journeys essay was handed to me on a platter. I'm not complaining about this, although it makes me think that the modules might be a little harder than what I expect. Then again, I could be pleasantly surprise. They'll probably do me over with Extension 1 instead.

HSC
Will do.
English isn't a problem.
Tell me this though: you are on at 1am telling people not to waste time on here? Or implying that they shouldn't?
Come the time after Modules i will not be on here

MUR0031

Papa- Smurph
HSC
Overall, I found it quite mixed. Section 1 and 3 (Physical- interpretations of the new???) were a tad vague whereas section 2 worked well for me as I could adapt a prepared response quite easily into the persona of the Grandpa. But really, I thought it seemed like an ETA trial paper rather than a past HSC.

Anyway good luck for modules

PS.... Hope they don't stipulate a poem for Harwood!!!

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
What The Fuck Was The Physicall Journeys Question Man Wtf

john201

HSC
N/A
angmor said:
What The Fuck Was The Physicall Journeys Question Man Wtf
Yea I know. The question totally threw me. Looks like I'm going to have to make up for it on paper 2 <sigh>

ScottyGEE

HSC
The whole test I thought was relativley easy...Provided that I actually did try hard at ruling out all possible things that would throw me off...Luckily there weren't really any...I was expecting things like "do a radio interview" or "write a feature article"...
So I'm happy with what I did :D

superbri

HSC
ScottyGEE said:
I was expecting things like "do a radio interview" or "write a feature article"...
So was I. We had shitty questions like that in the trial exam paper and I went down hardcore. Process of Speculation was so much easier for me!

andrewgmc

HSC
"Interpretation of the new"

That was fucked. I have no idea what that means. I just disagreed and wrote my pre-planned essay.

Can anyone tell me what "the new" is?

mattstonestreet

HSC
I wrote a creative writing text that I got 100% for in an assessment and it was almost as if the question they wrote was describing the story. I think I won the lotery..

elmo788

HSC
Hey Guys,
This is guna sound really stupid, but for the essay question, you know how it sed do u agree, argue ur point of view..were they expecting you to use 'I believe.." or "i agree/disagree"? Or was it enough just to make a judgement about ur point, is that demonstrating your own point of view. Because i just couldn;t bring myself to write 'I' in an essay...Please help, paranoia is kicking in.. :(

elmo788

HSC
Hey, i did physical jourmeys as well, and i don't lknow if this is necessarily correct but i took 'the new' to mean, a new destination, a new way of thinking, a new discovery, etc. And as for 'interpretation', I took that as meaning the way in which journeys were perceived by the persona, and whether or not these interpretations came to fruition at the conclusion of the journey...i really don't know though, i could have missed the mark completely..Hope that sorta gave u a few ideas..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)