General Thoughts: English Paper 1 2006 (1 Viewer)

disasterpiece

HSC
The Physical Journeys essay question was, without the shadow of a doubt, THE gayest ever..
"..interpretations of the new".
The question had better be open for interpretation, otherwise i'll burn down the main office of the Board of Studies!

Section One was piss easy,

Section Two was reasonably simple.

richiie

HSC
Section II to me wasn't that resticted, i managed to fit in my creative piece just fine. Guess questions like that really do prove to the markers how "creative" some students can be. i.e. me

sophieadele

HSC
In section 2, I used the quote to open my story as instructed then i just wrote "I closed the book and put it on my desk."
hahaha i totally got around basing my story on that quote, i hope that's allowed...i don't really care though, there is no rule saying you can't do that.

Section 1 would have been good if i hadn't run out of time and if i had known what a nomad is. what the hell is a freakin nomad???

Section 3 was good although i didnt much like the question on imaginative journeys although i think i may have fluked my way through it. although i spent too long on talking about The Tempest before i even got to the other texts so i ended up kind of having to cram them in.

As much as i found the exam challenging i still think i went ok...hopefully!

Jaron2005

HSC
Hey guys...... Exams over all was ok imo.

Section 1- Pretty good

Section 2 - I like the the line, so that was pretty good also, gave me something to write about, because i free style my creative writing, i got one prepared but it didn't quiet suit it, so free style, very happy with the creative writing.

Section 3 - Got my essay all planned out, but not enough time :( ....... I only got to write about 4-5pages and just finished talking about my stimulus text and time ran out, so only got one paragraph on my related text >.<

richiie

HSC
sophieadele said:
In section 2, I used the quote to open my story as instructed then i just wrote "I closed the book and put it on my desk."
hahaha i totally got around basing my story on that quote, i hope that's allowed...i don't really care though, there is no rule saying you can't do that.

Section 1 would have been good if i hadn't run out of time and if i had known what a nomad is. what the hell is a freakin nomad???
LOL i thought i was the only one smart enough to do that! As long as you referred back to it, or related it somehow to the quote then im sure you'll be fine.

A nomad is like a caveman, relation to nomads being like photographers was the whole concept of exploring foreign landscapes... well thats what i put

hannah_16

HSC
im realli rather happy with the paper unlike my trial paper which truely sucked stupid catholic schools...my creative writing story was great and the inner journery question was amazingly easy compared to past years i wrote like 14 pages it was great....i hope u all did great which im sure u did....all the best with the rest of ur exams
xoxo

m_shahbaz

HSC
Re: area of study

um. ok i guess could have been worse.

wrote about 27 pages.
(5,7,15)
spent way too much time on section 3..oppsss
didn't eaxctly enjoy the unseen matrial though.

generally fine.

forget it. lets strt the mods..

krnboi88

HSC
bad~!!!

I Wansn't impressed with the question for both section 2 and section 3 for imaginative journey. The story and essay I prepared became useless when I saw the stimulus of the question.. I feel so bad~~~

I thought the section 1 was quite challenging..
oh wells.. just hoping other papers are alight.

smely

HSC
i dont want to jinx myself so im not gonna say anything was okay haha.. but i dont think i really ADAPTED section two into my story.. it said "being ur peice with it" so i did... i used it as the first line and then i said "i closed my book and looked out the window"... ahh.. was that a bad thing to do??... i think it was:S

Section 3 for imaginative journies was crap! i didnt know wat speculation meant.. i thought it meant thinking about stuff.. i didnt know it meant thinking about the future! so there goes that one to... my life is over!

sophieadele

HSC
richiie said:
LOL i thought i was the only one smart enough to do that! As long as you referred back to it, or related it somehow to the quote then im sure you'll be fine.

A nomad is like a caveman, relation to nomads being like photographers was the whole concept of exploring foreign landscapes... well thats what i put
haha nah i think i few of my friends did that too...although i didnt refer back to the quote. hmm but the question didnt say you had to base your story on it, it just said to use it as your opening line.

oh and i think i must be stupid for not knowing what a nomad is, nobody else seemed to struggle with that...im a tard

Sex Panther

HSC
I thought the question for imaginative journeys was awesome. The thesis I prepared fitted in well.

Section 2 kinda stumped me but i did my essay first and by the time i got to the creative writing sectioin i thought of some crappy little story. It wasn't too bad.

Section 1 was ok, except i didn't like the texts. They could of at least been interesting.

Overall it was a pretty fair exam. I can throw/burn everything i have on journeys. Hooray!!:)

scragmeister

HSC
Section one was... pretty terrible - way harder than my trial or any other practice paper i'd ever attempted, out of about ten trials, practice papers, and past hsc's. I managed to write about 5 pages, much more than what i managed in my school's trial. I was totally freaked out after that section. Took a couple of deep breaths and got on with it.

Section two, well my story totally fit the concept of change and self discovery through journey but i did have trouble adapting it to the question. I got 15 for it in the trial, the only major difference was the trimmings to make it fit a 'dialogue' framework. (8 pages)

Section 3 was by far the best section. What i'd prepared just worked. I ended up writing about nine pages, and I estimate a thirteen (that is, if they can read my handwriting). When i first looked at the question during reading time i was like WTF! - But subconsciously i'd worked it out by the time i started writing.

My hand totally cramped up, i had to shake it like crazy to get the blood flowing!
Before the exam, everyone was so positive, the markers asked us if we were feeling ready and everyone cheered - but after the exam they asked us all how we went.. and the entire hall was totally silent. LOL.

aristos

shorty p
HSC
i really didn't plan my time that effectivly as i started with section 3 first and wrote 1 and a half booklets which now as i think back was pretty stupid coz it took me about 50 mins n i had to rush through section 1 to get back on track...finished with some time to spare so it was all good...atleast i hope so!!! i really dont know how i went???

sinist4

HSC
sect 1: stuffed up majorly... ( if thats even a words lol:))
sect 2: its was ok ... i dunno about my shitty story though ;)
sect 3: pwned it :D ( imaginative jounreys)

overall it wasnt a bad paper, but the bloody sect 1 texts awww :(

oh next thing now lol

Last edited:
HSC
Section 1: Really dodgy, trickier than I anticipated, but overall not too bad, still able to bs some answers, but for wat usually are the easy marks, I was hoping for something well, easier..really made me think...I dont want to have to think! But it was ok.

Section 2: My story was basically a monologue, I had to change my own story, didnt like that. It was complete (as in it sounded like a story) but incomplete (cause it sounds crap) because I did it in 25-30 min.

Section 3: I did this first, easiest one outa the ones I had to do (imaginative journeys) fitted my argument quite well. I took too much time though.

Overall I was happy, not to say I'm going to rip it up, but I was happy. Ive always been more worried about modules anyway.

shellsbells15

HSC
Doesn't anyone think that the imaginative journeys question was about 10000 times harder than the other two... the process of speculation WTF

colli-17

HSC
hey yeah i got a little bit thrown by question one but came up on top, for my creative writing i ended up using walk the line when he is a little boy that fitted well about an old an finding his peace with god,
the last section was rushed with me, but i argued for it, sally morgans my place shits me. so does robert frost, There is a bonfire at my house tonight for all AOS notes, lol

wtgspod

HSC
Section One: Boring. But bearable.
Section Two: My story did not fit in with the quote whatsoever... But I stuck it to the quote and managed to use it anyway.
Section Three: Imaginative journeys. I liked the question, lol. Easy.:)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I find it really unfair how the Paper was easy on those who did Inner and Imaginative journeys but so slack on those who did Physical journeys.
Section I: Although texts one and two had something to do with physical journeys, the questions didn't reflect on it but rather asked about the inner and (sometimes imaginative) journeys (i.e. personal nature of journey etc)
Section II: The question was again focused on inner and imaginative journeys. Imaginative being the journey being brought to life by the story being told, and inner being the discovery bit.
Section III: This was a bitch for physical journeys: "interpretations of the new" was too vague and it wasn't clear what the statement actually meant. Compare that to "process of speculation" for imaginative journeys and "challenge of self-reflection" for inner journeys which were basically straight out of the syllabus definitions.

At least that stupid bias won't happen in Paper 2 (hopefully)....

~FeLiCiTy~

HSC
lol permission to bash me but i actually thought that the paper was decent...
S1: made me think too much but alright i guess(scared me) 6pgs
S2: Threw me off a little but better than asking to write in a specific format (7/8pgs)
S3: absolutley loved except for the whole 'speculation' thing...at least it wasnt a transcript (14pgs)
Overall, im a happy camper (til the marks get released):bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)