General Thoughts: English Paper 1 2006 (2 Viewers)

karoooh

HSC
It was ok. :|

Though I wished I could've written and made all sections flow together, much better like I usually do. Had to think a bit about how to fit my pre-planned story with the starting sentence... I don't know if I did it right, and I didn't have time to end it properly. By over all it was ok. I'm lucky if they give me a 10 for the story though. And the language section... um, I guess I did ok. I don't seem too worried, so mebe it really was ok.

Or mebe I screwed up really badly. I hope Paper II was better. And that I can write much faster.

charltonm

HSC
It sounds like you guys basically all did imaginative journeys. I did inner and although the section 3 question I think I managed to pull it off.

The creative writing area was perfect, because I had my pre planned one of an old man telling a story....creepy but good none the less.

And for the first section well that was just lame.

Hey did anyone else have alot of people leave super early from their exam, cos half of the hall just upped and left!

taki999

HSC
the 2006 AOS section 1 compared to 2004, 2005 AOS was heaps harder!

sideshowtim

HSC
People who use special provisions because of bad handwriting are ridiculous. If you've got bad handwriting, improve, it's as simple as that. They are at a massive advantage being able to type. They can get rid of errors easier, type faster...it's ridiculous.

sarahjpicken

HSC
i thought it was good:wave: it was what i expected. I am just glad its over. lol

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
sideshowtim said:
The creative could fit anything? Are you serious? It was incredibly narrow in what it was asking. First of all it gave you a very cliched quote and you had to make it about a journey of discovery. It was very limited I felt personally.
It would have suited anything that is a believable journey... I guess that restricts you to anything on Earth. For example, I had a sci-fi story, that wouldn't have worked with this question.

paris.ht

HSC
my general thought is:
I'M SO GLAD ITS OVER.

i really dont know how anyone can relive it right now.
i am just so happy to say GOODBYE to Empire of the sun.
GOODBYE EMPIRE OF THE SUN

see
makes me feel better EVERY time

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Did anyone else think that the Question 2 stimulus was totally weak and cliched?

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
Special provisions is ok for the people who legitimately need it.... but people writing obscene amount of words.

One of the english extension 1 exemplar papers from 2004 was somewhere in excess of 2500 words, FOR ONE HOUR!!!! whereas the rest of the state are forced to handwrite a max of about 1600 in the hour. How fucking unfair!

I've even heard of some people who write extra slow in their practice typing tests, and wind up having an extra 5-15 minutes typing.

I mean, you have got to be freaking kidding me... Handwritten 1200 x 3 if you pump it like an absolute machine but when you hear people writing 2000 word essays and this sort of jazz...

but then again, if i could've i probably would've done it lol

Blagoya

HSC
it was a good exam. the use of the word 'speculation' was just stupid. Creative writing i made up on da spot and q1 was harder than i thought. u rekon its not enough only doin 3 pages for creative writing, cos at school they only expect around that much anyway???

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
dagwoman said:
Did anyone else think that the Question 2 stimulus was totally weak and cliched?
Yep for sure. I completely reworked all my prepared answers for creative so that they were much more unique and moved away from such cliched shit.

Then I saw the question I was just shaking my head. I think they should have at the very least offered a range of quotes, because this limits people.

But then I managed to rework mine to become something unique... I sort of extended the quote so the man was reflecting upon the value of literature to unlock his past and speculate about the future and offer self-discovery, then I moved into a feature article on the topic.
Hoping it pays off but you just don't know with the BOS

ashh

HSC
didnt much like question 2, but i was at least able 2 adapt my story 2 it. i dunno how itl go but...i did wat the question asked bout the journey n discovery n wateva, but i dunno that the story did all that much with the actual quote...oh wells

richiie

HSC
sideshowtim said:
People who use special provisions because of bad handwriting are ridiculous. If you've got bad handwriting, improve, it's as simple as that. They are at a massive advantage being able to type. They can get rid of errors easier, type faster...it's ridiculous.
Booohooo go cry to your mother!

superbri

HSC
frankyd said:
I completely reworked all my prepared answers for creative so that they were much more unique and moved away from such cliched shit.
Ditto.

My creative writing piece was completely original, but now because of the absolutely shithouse quote we were given to work with, it's probably the same as thousands of other students across NSW.

Personally, I was expecting a variety of quotes/images with which to use as a springboard for our creative writing.

But some old guy with wrinkly hands wanting to pick the lock on his past?

Fuck that.

little_miss47

HSC
I think that the paper was pretty reasonable. I've seen worse questions for Section I, but I've seen better questions for Section II.

All I can say is, man the markers are going to have a TONNE of fun marking Section II...the repetition of ideas/storylines will be overwhelming.

But what was the deal with having seperate questions in Section III for the different journeys?! Weird...but it was pretty easy to adapt to pre-written essays.

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
seection 2 was too restrictive... stupid bos... but then it limited the amount of prepared responses (bet that is wat they wanted) but they aint gonna stop me.

section 1 was ok, stupid, but fine. seen worse.

section 3... hmm... very stupid. but it allowed me to put my prepared in, had to change thesis, but dat was it. seen worse.

overall, it was alrite, i hade 3 mins left over, =D happi happi happi

toiletduck88

HSC
What i dont get is all the people saying that the Phys. Journey question was hard... That was my area of study and I thought that it fitted in fine, you either strongly agreed with the statement or you slightly agreed (that is you say yes BUT i also think bla bla bla...) or you dont think that it is about the new at all. when relating this back to my text "Away - Michael Gow" you simply had to mention yes it is about the new but also the old eg. Gwen and the realisation of her family meaning more to her yadda yadda yadda Tom taking the NEW perspective of his life into account and wanting to live it to the fullest eg begging meg to get jiggy and coral with her acceptance of the past but realisation of her life etc etc etc more or less yadda yadda one thing for sure IM GLAD ITS OVER!!! :D
Bring on the wilfred owen ahahahaha
goodluck to all you guys for the rest of your exams... and i told you that memorising paaages and paaages of narrative would suck crapola
mwahahahaha i think i kicked ass in that paper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)