General Thoughts: English Paper 1 2006 (1 Viewer)

particle1

HSC
to be honest, i thought it was pretty lousy. like in comparison to past years papers etc. it was just too specific. our trial was a ZILLION times better and i didn't do as well as i'd hoped in THAT.. so that's a bit of a worry. hopefully my assessment marks pull me up :p

oh, and modules.

telle

HSC
I quite liked the exam...it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy easier than the trials...and altho the creative writing section didnt giv much room for movement it gave me a direction and u could pretty much twist it anyway u wanted...i felt confident walkin out which scares me cos thats usually not a good sign haha but yeh im happy

Xo telle Xo

5 AND COUNTING

Megan5

HSC
Hmmm, a little frustrated with Section 1. I usually ace that section, and while texts one and three were good, text two.. really really frustrated me... that question about landscapes!!!
My essay [section 3] - I just kept relating, examples, technique, concept how it links to my big understanding. I did that section first, went over the forty minutes, which I planned to make up in unseen.. but that text!!! arrrrrgghh..
My creative writing - I had a brilliant story.. which I made work with the stimulus. I only had twenty minutes to do my creative. I got it done in enough time to read over it and make sure my handwriting was readable, it flowed nicely - which I'm happy about.

sideshowtim

HSC
YBK said:
I thought it was pretty easy! :)

They weren't evil in any of the questions.. that creative could seriously fit anything! yay! Heck, my creative was in second person, and the quote given was in third person and was still able to fit it in perfectly :)
The creative could fit anything? Are you serious? It was incredibly narrow in what it was asking. First of all it gave you a very cliched quote and you had to make it about a journey of discovery. It was very limited I felt personally.

BoombaStick

HSC
section 1 - 6 pages
section 2 - 5 pages
section 3 - 8 pages

one thing that pissed me off was after the test when i was wishing i could have written more for my creative writing this gronk starts wailing loudy about how he only typed 4500 words all up. fukin gronk! he gets the advantage to type in addition to more time. I was a writing retard once but i went and took lessons and it worked. that fatkid doesn't even have to take lessons, if he lost some weight maybe he'll be able to write.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Section I:

Questions were a bit ambiguous, I think I did alright but I didn't get to finish part (e) properly which was worth 3 marks. I found they didnt ask HOW very much but talked about techniques anyway..

Predict 11/15

Section II:

Stimulus fit my creative writing pretty well. My prepared story was about someone discovering a companion on their journey, but it was in first person, so I just wrote it as a story that my grandfather was telling me (about his past) and put the whole thing in inverted commas, with a few breaks in between of course.

Predict 12/15

Section III:

The physical question looked hard, luckily my focus was inner journeys. I could basically just re-write my prepared essay replacing the word "self-realisation" with "self-reflection". I wrote almost 12 pages for this section :)

Predict 13/15

Last edited:

michaeln36

HSC
insanerp said:
what the hell is wrong with you people who write 6 pages for section 1!!!???

you either have massive writing or you are just absolutely crapping on about nothing! all you have to do is answer the question and at the most even doing them all very well should only require like 3 pages!
r u serious? its worth 15 marks just like the others, so u should expect to write almost as much as the others.

i wrote 11 pages for section 1 and came out worried that i didnt write enough in the 5 mark question (i wrote 4 pages for that). I think i went overboard on some of the 3 mark questions tho =( (like 3 pages for 1 -_-)

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
BoombaStick said:
one thing that pissed me off was after the test when i was wishing i could have written more for my creative writing this gronk starts wailing loudy about how he only typed 4500 words all up. fukin gronk! he gets the advantage to type in addition to more time. I was a writing retard once but i went and took lessons and it worked. that fatkid doesn't even have to take lessons, if he lost some weight maybe he'll be able to write.
hahaha

Yeah, I think the whole using a computer thing is very unfair, I hope the markers take that into consideration. What's to stop somebody from just faking really bad handwriting so that they can type their responses a lot faster than others can write? It's fair enough if you have a medical condition, but if you just have bad handwriting then you should have to learn how to write!

P

pLuvia

It was alright, section 1 wasn't that great, section 2 wasn't that bad sort of adapted my story into it the last section was quite good

Mumma

HSC
michaeln36 said:
r u serious? its worth 15 marks just like the others, so u should expect to write almost as much as the others.

i wrote 11 pages for section 1 and came out worried that i didnt write enough in the 5 mark question (i wrote 4 pages for that). I think i went overboard on some of the 3 mark questions tho =( (like 3 pages for 1 -_-)
:confused: you are insane :confused:

scaredofstudies

HSC
that was fcuked fcuked fcuked

section one - tricky but it was the only one i felt a bit confident in. Um i prob wrote 3pages all up for that. my last question was a max a page long.

section two - wtf was with that sick peverted quote. I was sitting there like a stunned mullet twiddling my thumbs for 10 mins and then just decided to adapt an old story to the quote, which im sure didnt work for me at all. Yeah that discovery thing, GONE.. lol mine wasnt even a journey.. just shithouse babble.

section three - SPECULATE THIS!! *sticks up finger*
considering my reaction i wasn't exactly happy with the imaginative journey question. At all. So again i was lost, and wrote all i could, adding to the end of every paragraph ''... causing the responder to speculate about their moms chest hair (ingore mean girls refference). I didnt even FINISH the essay, i hardly got to talk about my stimulus text, didnt even mention my related text and did a two line conclusion that didnt even address the argument.

i dont know why they dont give us more time:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

shariken

HSC
Phew...when I told my friends that I didn't agree with the journey statement, she went on to say that oh no you should have said that you agreed with the statement but now I know I'm not the only one that went against it. I didn't really finish section 1 and 3 because I miscalculated my timing but I was onnly a paragraph and a half away from finishing the essay.

When I looked at the essay question I didn't understand the 'interpretations of new' if they put an 'if' in between I think I would have understood it then. I basically said that the motivation, obstacles and destination in the journey is more important then what can be interpeted out of th journeys as interpretations can take the actual journey away from it..God I hope I get a mark for trying.

I thought the creative writing was done pretty well though.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
jb_nc said:
Why are you guys saying the photo question was hard? For part (a) all you had to do was quote because they "wander the earth".

For part (b) was just as easy too.
i just didnt get it. like what it was saying, what it was about, why the fuck it was there... i dunno. its the sort of thing i'll probably go "OHHHH" and kick myself for later. but i dont geddit :s

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
The essay was perfect and my practice creative writing task fit perfectly, but i had to remove a majority of it or i wouldn't have time to finish it. And reading, i don't think i did too well as i had to rush it and also i bullshited the second text for the last q. And i misused a technique as well :( But overall, i'm hoping I did ok. Although after reading these threads, i'm feeling kinda depressed now.

jessicaw

HSC
passion89 said:
The paper wasn't too bad. Generally happy about it but the question for imaginative journeys stumped me a bit. Stupid speculation crap.
hey i agree...overall the paper was OK...but the creative stimulus n the 'speculation' bit kinda caught me off guard...everything i prepared for sorta went out the window...hope i do ok!

michaeln36

HSC
syper said:
hahaha

Yeah, I think the whole using a computer thing is very unfair, I hope the markers take that into consideration. What's to stop somebody from just faking really bad handwriting so that they can type their responses a lot faster than others can write? It's fair enough if you have a medical condition, but if you just have bad handwriting then you should have to learn how to write!
agreed.
lets round up all the people who use special provisions to cheat/gain unfair advantage and burn them at the stake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)