General Thoughts - English Paper 1 2007 (1 Viewer)

kazimatiz

HSC
Why is everyone whinging about Text 3? I didn't even think it was that bad, if you actually read it you might of interpetted it a little better instead of just dismissing it immediately as impossible.
Overall it was a pretty reasonable test, I was lucky enough to of chosen a text with a physical journey and my text from the Journeys booklet fit nicely.

original123

*Original Convention*
HSC
Firstly. I have a virus.

Considering this point, I should be happy with 5 pp for S I, 6 for
S II, and just over 7 for S III.

I hope I answered the question which is just SLIGHTLY more important than the quantity I wrote! I started crying because my stomach and head hurt so much -- stupid virus! I have the worst immune system, hope it doesn't carry 'til Monday other wise I shall be SCREWED! Screwed with a nut and a bolt!

Etak90

HSC
Paper one wasn't too bad. I did well in the essay, i wrote 12 pages, but i can write freakishly fast lol. the story was great as well, i was able to use a story i had used before in trials. and the readin task was screwed i reckon. text one and two were fine, but no matter how many times i reeread text three it just didnt clik for me. and some of the questions seemed deceptivly simple.
oh well time for paper two! :mad1:

risky08

HSC
vez happy with the test overall. still not expecting to do heaps well but i'm thinking over 80%. comprehension just had the worst questions. where the questions where you just use TEE over and over. creative writing and the journeys question were pretty easy to adapt to i thought.

Fiona H

HSC
That comprehension is the hardest I've ever seen, for sure. Sortof caught me by surprise- I got full marks for Section 1 in my trial, so I hadn't worried about it at all.

My prepared story didn't fit at all with the stimulus, so not expecting too much there. In hindsight, I would've been better off just making one up on the spot, but at least I got 6 pages out.

I was lucky with the essay though, my thesis worked well with the Imaginative Journeys question and I wrote 8 pages, all relevant stuff.

I agree with what people have said above, 15 pages of waffle will only leave you with repetitive strain injury and a bad mark. A 5-6 page response that presents a clear, sustained and well supported arguement can definitely receive full marks.

vickystar

sanity = questionable
HSC
wow!
nobody who was sitting near me asked for more booklets.
i was just wondering, in section 2 i didn't say whether it was a) b) or c) that i picked but i had the qupte out the front, so am i screwed??

eppingMCE

HSC
Martyno1 said:
Section 1: WHAT THE HELL? Text 3 needs to die.
Section 2: okay.
Section 3: easy.

AND IT DIDN'T HELP that our supervisor wrote "ENGISH" instead of "ENGLISH" on the board. I kept looking at it and laughing.
Aahah lol i was wondering wat people was going on about ENGISH, they told me to look at the white board but i'm blind and fortunately i couldnt see otherwise i would have laughed and got kicked up. Unfortunately i couldnt see the time also lol

eppingMCE

HSC
Niksta123 said:
Hopefully if ppl are finding section 1 hard...then the markers will see a trend across the board and mark the section a little easier or something?
I'm hoping the wont mark that text at all, infact i'm hoping the wont mark that section at all lol

lotrhpfan

lurker
HSC
omg, everyone i talked to after was like "omg that was the shitiest exam" but i really liked it. it fit my thesis really well - i only tweaked it slightly by adding a sentence. and the quotes were good. i used the third quote as it was the most open ended one and just did what i did for the trial which was a stream of consciousness which got good marks so yeah. and i didn't find the first bit too hard. the third text wasn't so bad. you just had to concentrate while reading it and it made sense. it wasn't shakespeare lol. XD

overall, i was really happy with how i did. i related everything back to the question AND my thesis so i was pretty set.

truper

HSC
unluckyinlove07 said:
how the fuck did you write 10 pages

seirously

i call bullshit
it aint the quantity they worry about, it's the quality.

pancake911

HSC
i didnt do that great..i studied hard and my essays were well suited ...but i hadnt gotten a wink of sleep for two days!!

it was terrible..i couldnt concentrate, i was making the STUPIDEST spelling mistakes, i could barely string a sentence together and it took my almost the whole exam just to read and absorb the questions!!

i had to go see the doc and get prescribtion sleeping pills afterwards

cause im such a stress-head arghhhh...

jlnWind

HSC
text 3 was a faggot.
i finished all the booklets.
marks? well quantity is never a measure of quality... so i have no idea.
but i am glad its over.

bethdocker85

HSC
Overall, I was actually quite pleased, and surprised as well. I was expecting it to be SO much worse!

Section 1 - 9.5 pages

I thought this was def the hardest section! Text 3 was whacked, and took way too much brain power for my liking to properly understand. I thought the big 5-mark question was a bit odd, like, compare the perspectives on the journey? I thought all the texts were a bit ambiguous, and I kinda felt like I wasn't saying the right thing. Oh well. I was also a bit rushed for time because I did this section last.

Section 2 - 12.5 pages

Didn't really fit story, but I was determined to make it work! I was a bit worried about how they mentioned it had to be a "significant moment". I got caught out by that in my Eng Ext 1 Half-Yearly. I used Stimulus B and kinda did the whole cliche of someome telling another person their story.. stuck the quote in there at the start.. then *insert pre-prepared response here* then brought back the quote and the storytelling at the end. Overall, thought it went alright. Just hope they're not picky with this whole "significant moment" bullshit.

Section 3 - 11.5 pages

Question initially kinda shocked me, but then I managed to kinda stretch my texts and ideas to make it fit. Thought it went ok, really. I kinda made up some quotes for my additional texts cause I was getting a bit stuck! The whole thing was a bit of a stretch, but it was so much better than I expected, and I managed to get all my ideas down so I was pleased :)

Overall --> Think it was actually pretty good! :)

caitycat

HSC
I was soooo happy with it! English is really NOT my thing but it all seemed to.. fit!!
Text 3 was a bit trippy, but I think I got it :D

there creative writing stimulus ACTUALLY fit my parpared piece (the best I think i've ever written) (this NEVER happens for me)

and the essay fell into place

It was soooooo much better than the stupid fucking trial!
mind you, I only wrote 4 pages, 3 pages (it was a poem), 6 pages.. but what can you do?

now for the DREADED paper 2 :(

billy_slater

HSC
oh man fuck i totally fucked that up.

no not really im just telling everyone that and trying to convince myself if ucked it so when i get my decent result back i can act surprised and be like whaoaaa didnt even expect htat shit.

fuck the hsc

historykidd

HSC
billy_slater said:
oh man fuck i totally fucked that up.

no not really im just telling everyone that and trying to convince myself if ucked it so when i get my decent result back i can act surprised and be like whaoaaa didnt even expect htat shit.

fuck the hsc
Stick to footy Billy.

sashmackinnon

HSC
Beege said:
And yeah detours?? go fuck urself BOS!
Haha i think everyone is taking it way to litterally, its easy to see detours in the texts, even if you interpret it as a synonym for challanges. I dunno thats what i did, it seemed to work out pretty well, a bit streched but alright.

aricho

HSC
N/A
ppl are talking about it not fitting their essays...
isnt the idea of the exam to go in and respond to the question they give u not prepare an essay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)