General Thoughts - Mathematics (1 Viewer)

xsavagex

HSC
Hard test.
not a good mark. 50-60 probably.
I'm surprised that so many of you found it easy as pretty much everyone who did it found it difficult, even the top of 3 unit maths said it was 'kinda hard' and he always thinks every exam is easy

anyway i thought it was hardd

christo89

HSC
yea i got october 2010...
overal i thort test wasnt too bad..very easy question 9 n first half of 10 simple, second half of 10 was not wat id call easy but u expect that from a Q 10..i thought qs 4-8 were harder than they have been in past years

Scorch

HSC
iEdd said:
It was t=1. You had to solve simultaneous equations. That's the first time I've seen an EG&D question like that. The A value was not rational, which was a first for me, which I thought was wrong, until my friends said they got the same thing.
Gah, that screwed me up big time, I didn't get that - and I accidentally spent so much time working on that one that I didn't get much for the second part of that. I think I would get 2 or 3 at best for that question. :p

I think I nailed the first 5, and 6 and 9 weren't too bad. 7, 8 and 10 were pure evil, really.

It's weird, in 6)b)ii) I ended up getting a minimum turning point and a point of inflexion, and in iii) I found another turning point by solving f''(x) = 0 ... is that normal?

In question seven, I ended up getting a)i) and ii), but the discriminant one completely screwed me up, I just couldn't get it. :p

7b wasn't too bad, I think I got that.

Depending on how the compound interest section of Q9 goes, I may be able to get 11 or 12 for that, which would save me since I probably got 5 for 7, 2 or 3 on my working for 8 if I'm lucky, and maybe 4 for 10.

So basically, I'm looking at maybe 85-ish/120, which is low 70s. I'm hoping scaling will save my ass a bit here.

alcheikh

HSC
codyjh said:
definety! read somewhere they give out band 6's for 83-85% + (could be wrong though) so 105/120 so get u there (Y)

i agree cause when we get our marks 4 maths it wont be a our raw mark... it was definatly be scaled especailly if our exam was hard n overall d state did bad..... d exam was hard which is a good thing 4 d hard workers i was happy with it just tooo long never got 2 finish i was a little paranoid kept chekin questions b4 i finished d whole exam wata mistake dat was lol oh well goodluck every1 hope we all kill it :)

lgaica

HSC
i fount the test fairly difficult, will be happy if i get mid 90s out of 120,

i always get pissed going on bored of studies cause everyone here is usually of high standard and it makes me feel sad that i am not as good as all of you guys :bomb:

UAI2007

HSC
GENERAL THOUGHTS

Thought it was easy until i realised my heaps of mistakes . . so much for easy couldn't even do simpsons rule 5/2 anyone? well now i reckon i'll get 60%ish and that's when i was hoping for 90%ish . . BUM!

P.S.
I put October but now I realise my booboo

krazeboi

HSC
aiming for a pass lol..
but this exam was a lot easier than my trial

i pretty much scribbled in q10 so probably no marks for that section - im hoping i did alright in the others.

jtyler

HSC
I thought it was a very straightforward test :/ (3u student here)... Usually I stick asterisks next to the questions I can't do immediately; didn't have to do that at all in this paper. Found it pretty breezy up to Q10 b, where I somehow lacked the insight to cross-multiply once I'd differentiated, sigh, so stupid. Made the question way harder than it needed to be (and insoluble). That being said I also wrote October - dumb. If I hadn't dicked around so long on Q10 without seeing how simple it really was, I might've had time to check the rest of my paper and change to November :/

timmeh041

HSC
jtyler said:
I thought it was a very straightforward test :/ (3u student here)... Usually I stick asterisks next to the questions I can't do immediately; didn't have to do that at all in this paper. Found it pretty breezy up to Q10 b, where I somehow lacked the insight to cross-multiply once I'd differentiated, sigh, so stupid. Made the question way harder than it needed to be (and insoluble). That being said I also wrote October - dumb. If I hadn't dicked around so long on Q10 without seeing how simple it really was, I might've had time to check the rest of my paper and change to November :/
I didn't think it was that bad either, got through most of it no problems. It was only after thinking about a couple questions that i relieased some very stupid and easily avoidable mistakes.

sobern

HSC
well just wondering, i am a year 11 student and how did you guys study for you hsc...... and the really top students who reckon they went well... what did you guys do.. and plz don't say natural talent coz we all have that in gallons

joas

HSC
thought it could have been harder. my trial was much harder than this. made too many stupid mistakes though

ram14

HSC
Do you guys reckon that this paper is gonna get scaled.
I mean does anyone wheteher or not the raw mark for maths has been similar to the final mark compared to everyone across the state or if it gets scaled up like 4 unit...

E.g. Raw mark 80/120
=???

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I also made the error of putting October 2010.

It's almost like they wanted us to screw it up.

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
being hopeful and saying ill possibly get 90/120 :)

i just almost shot myself when i read 9.b again and realised i used r=1.006 instead of 1.06. I JUST SCREWED MYSELF OUT OF SIX MARKS!:eek:

i also put down october 2010! maybe they'll give us the mark ... like maybe they'll do it like they do with decimal places ... were only... SLIGHTLY off!

well thats wishful thinking.

overall couldve been easier, but not a bad paper all up. :headbang:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
cucum3rs said:

i just almost shot myself when i read 9.b again and realised i used r=1.006 instead of 1.06. I JUST SCREWED MYSELF OUT OF SIX MARKS!:eek:

i also put down october 2010! maybe they'll give us the mark ... like maybe they'll do it like they do with decimal places ... were only... SLIGHTLY off!:headbang:
Here's hoping!

You scared the crap out of me though, I skim read your post and thought I'd made a mistake with the 1.06. They shouldn't carry the mistake though so you should get some marks I'd say.

karljl

HSC
sobern said:
well just wondering, i am a year 11 student and how did you guys study for you hsc...... and the really top students who reckon they went well... what did you guys do.. and plz don't say natural talent coz we all have that in gallons
I just did lots of past papers... been doing them since the end of term 2 when we finished the core. doing 3 unit helps as well

Mah

HSC
N/A
cucum3rs said:

i also put down october 2010! maybe they'll give us the mark ... like maybe they'll do it like they do with decimal places ... were only... SLIGHTLY off!

well thats wishful thinking.

overall couldve been easier, but not a bad paper all up. :headbang:
Yeah i did something stupid in that question too...I was learning that type of question...(this morning, lol) and the r was 1.08 and I PUT 1.08 INSTEAD of 1.06...But I asked an HSC maths marker and he said that I would be unlucky to lose even half a mark, so you should get most of the marks

tehsky

so lyk yeh.
HSC
i got 2.88 for the growth question thang
and beleive it or not i counted the 8th month; being late august
woot. so fucked. such an amateur mistake :p

but rest of the test was good :D
lookin for 95+ /120 raw =]
what wud this scale to? ;x
hopefully low band 6? :D

Last edited:

karljl

HSC
mithril1337 said:
can somebody please post the method of solving of the growth question

PLease
Question 8a)
N = Ae^(kt)

when t=1, N=1600
1600=Ae^k
e^k = 1600/A ----------(1)

when t=2, N=2600
2600=Ae^(2k)

from (1) : 2600 = A (1600/A)^2
2600A = 1600^2
A = 1600^2 / 2600
A = 984.62 (2dp)

1600 = 984.62 * e^k
ln (1600/984.62) = k . ln e
k = 0.49 (2dp)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)