General Thoughts - Mathematics (1 Viewer)

morganforrest

HSC
Was noone else surprised by the flood of geometry questions and complete lack of integral calculus in comparison to past years....interested me

To end debate....it is definitely Nov. 2010

jexca

HSC
mc88 said:
Did any do the growth and decay question like me?

I did them as simultaneous equations, getting A as the subject of one, puttind that into the other equation then substituting the values in, solved that for k, then went back to the original equation, subbed in values again, as well as k and solved it for A.

I ended up ln(13/8) or something for k, and some massive number for A, which was probably because I did the question using the millions, rather than using just the numbers they gave and writing millions after it.
Yeah I did it by simulataneous equation, but I think I got it wrong coz everyone else is getting simple numbers and mine were like a million numbers long hahahaha.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
jexca said:
Yeah I did it by simulataneous equation, but I think I got it wrong coz everyone else is getting simple numbers and mine were like a million numbers long hahahaha.
Their numbers are just rounded off, I got the same as them but gave answers in exact form and in decimals. There were a lot of decimals.

bttrflyeffect17

HSC
morganforrest said:
Was noone else surprised by the flood of geometry questions and complete lack of integral calculus in comparison to past years....interested me
i was..it was crazy. nothing seemed to be formulaic, it was all interpreting the geometry. and all the parts that did involve formulas were q9 type ones so i could hardly answer any of them anyway =(

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
Mah said:
Yeah i did something stupid in that question too...I was learning that type of question...(this morning, lol) and the r was 1.08 and I PUT 1.08 INSTEAD of 1.06...But I asked an HSC maths marker and he said that I would be unlucky to lose even half a mark, so you should get most of the marks
thanks. i felt heaps better when i read your post ...:)

that was until i realised i made other stupid mistakes such as forgetting to minus 1 from both the numerator and the denominators in question 9. b, forgetting what the hell a directrix was and not even solving 6. a. i was just so stumped cause there was no 'c' value that i didnt even think of the equations reducible to quadractics type thingo.

i walked out thinking raw mark might be about 90/120. now im thinking more like 80-85/120. AND YES IT IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. :burn:

im such a moron.

karentao77

HSC
arghh.. the more i read these posts.. the more i think i did wrong.. :mad1:
gotta stop reading... hopefully 90+/120..
squeezing stress ball :bomb:

punkbabe89

HSC
Well, in contrast to most of the posts here, i thought the paper was ok, i knew how to do most of it, but didnt get answer everything, so i doubt i will pass.... especially considering my dismal 37% in the trials (catholic paper).
I got four lines into question 8 by pens down, and didnt get final answers for a couple of parts previous.
Which sucks major =[
But what i did get done, i was happy with.
eg, that logo question.. i suck at geometry but i got it right away =]
AND silly mistakes i picked up on and corrected.
All isn't lost, for it's at least over =]

High hopes for 50%?

Armenikum

HSC
jtyler said:
I thought it was a very straightforward test :/ (3u student here)... Usually I stick asterisks next to the questions I can't do immediately; didn't have to do that at all in this paper. Found it pretty breezy up to Q10 b, where I somehow lacked the insight to cross-multiply once I'd differentiated, sigh, so stupid. Made the question way harder than it needed to be (and insoluble). That being said I also wrote October - dumb. If I hadn't dicked around so long on Q10 without seeing how simple it really was, I might've had time to check the rest of my paper and change to November :/
Here here

Armenikum

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
Here's hoping!

You scared the crap out of me though, I skim read your post and thought I'd made a mistake with the 1.06. They shouldn't carry the mistake though so you should get some marks I'd say.
LOL me too!! But to the original poster, no way in the world you lost 6 marks if you showed yoru working and patterns in getting the answer. If all else was right, youd lose a maximum of 2 marks for using the wrong R and wrong answer (they could possibly even be lenient and call it a carried error throughout and reward you with the wrong answer - depends on their criteria).

I was curious though, he made his final contribution on his 17th bday and you multiplied that also by 1.06 as it was being copmounded - but did you have to multiply another 1.06 because he got it on his 18th bday? Im confused on that question.

Armenikum

HSC
Harry Bannister said:
hey, I don't know who you are, but who do you think you are? Obviously the exam suited you, but perhaps not everyone, perhaps think about the rest who haven't had the perfect run, because tis folly to act wise when ignorance is getting pissed off at those who didn't get the exam they wanted. what's your method when you meet the unexpected? Set up the christmas tree?
You asked quite a few questions, I'll try and answer them all, but i wont respond to the 'tis folly' bs.

My method? I suck it up. An example would be from chemistry - I had expected long questions with meaty marks on the Haber Process and CFCs etc - NONE. All I got was crappy calculation with PPM - something that is unseen in HSC Chemistry papers - or that ones that I did..............all those hours gone - I didnt complain, I had to suck it up and continue.

As for 'who do i think i am'? On a philosophical level, "I think, therefore I am". But in general, I am a REALIST.

Btw, "the exam they wanted"?
Wtf is this, a la carte? You make do with what you have, and what you have prepared throughout the year.

samuel slack

HSC
Lol... while we're using quotes to attack each other, "why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?"... Lets all just take a chill pill. Seriously, the exam suited anyone who had learnt the maths 2u course throughout the year. Everyone "should" have learnt enough to pick up a pass, and should have practiced enough to be able to get more than that, and be able to handle any question that they got... Seriously, Armenikum is right, this isn't a restaurant where you can pick and choose what sort of questions you get, they're supposed to challenge you. Nor, do you have to be so harsh in pointing this out Armenikum.

There. Now i feel prepared for a flame, by both groups.

farahodish

HSC
karentao77 said:
arghh.. the more i read these posts.. the more i think i did wrong.. :mad1:
gotta stop reading...squeezing stress ball
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!
I LOLed so hard when I read that

thats exactly what i've been saying after every exam.
I hop on here thinking yup.. high band 5 low band 6
leave the comp thinking "band 3 band 3 band 3"
*breaks down*

Floydy

HSC
I was talking to my tutor after the exam - she was a supervisor at one of the better schools in my area. She said people were leaving a lot of gaps in their question books and also leaving early after an hour.

Thought that the test was probably harder than past ones, I walked out neverous of some of my answers like 10b and the growth/decay one - but found out for the most part I got them right :p. I had done a lot of practice of obscure type questions which helped overall. I think peoples bitterness after the test is warrented - since for me it really was a lot more challenging test than many previous ones.

farahodish

HSC
and it isnt just maths thats been copping the bitter attitude
check out the english forums. theyre freaking hilarious
i like reading about how people are planning to ambush the english BOS writers :rofl:

Armenikum

HSC
samuel slack said:
Lol... while we're using quotes to attack each other, "why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?"... Lets all just take a chill pill. Seriously, the exam suited anyone who had learnt the maths 2u course throughout the year. Everyone "should" have learnt enough to pick up a pass, and should have practiced enough to be able to get more than that, and be able to handle any question that they got... Seriously, Armenikum is right, this isn't a restaurant where you can pick and choose what sort of questions you get, they're supposed to challenge you. Nor, do you have to be so harsh in pointing this out Armenikum.

There. Now i feel prepared for a flame, by both groups.

Thankyou.

conroy1234

supermeatpie
HSC
williamc said:
Yer wtf with the expotential growth q in question 8 lol. Nfi, got k to be negative in a growth question ermm.

10b with fucked. 9 was easier than expected.

Then bits and pieces of the paper were hard.
agreed. screwed bits up here and there, but overall, not TOO bad i guess...

mattwillie

Awesomely Awesome.
HSC
Armenikum said:
I hate that attitude. What the fuck did you think it was going to be? The same type of questions every year to suit your neat litte sense of security in trying to memorise the types of questions they give? This is year 12, grow up - my brother in yr 9 could do the exams if it was the same thing over and over - BOS catches on, they wanted candidates to APPLY their knowledge of mathematics, not rote learn exact questions.

I know I ranted, but I am just sick of this attitude when people complain when they are confronted with the unexpected - such a child's attitude.
I think it was pretty hard and I studied alot! But i guess im not one of the smartest of the bunch anyway. Oh well... no need complaining now... its all done and finished.

And in regards to the quote ^... stop complaining. The guy said that he hadnt done a question like that before... not that he had memorised past questions. He had trouble with it and thats that. Now what im gonna say is "This is year 12, grow up..." :)

Armenikum

HSC
mattwillie said:
I think it was pretty hard and I studied alot! But i guess im not one of the smartest of the bunch anyway. Oh well... no need complaining now... its all done and finished.

And in regards to the quote ^... stop complaining. The guy said that he hadnt done a question like that before... not that he had memorised past questions. He had trouble with it and thats that. Now what im gonna say is "This is year 12, grow up..." :)
Yes sir.

aaronmott

HSC
hey i stuffed up majorly in the last part of q9, for mr, i calculated using the mrs a=1.06 when a=1, and for the mrs. on i said a=1, i accidently swapped them around, so fucking dumb, do u rekon i lost all marks for this half of q9

BlackAshes

HSC
I thought that was the most disgusting, ugly, horrible maths exam I have ever come across.
And It gave me great pleasure to destroy everything to do with Maths afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)