General Thoughts: Mathematics (1 Viewer)

shady145

Banned
HSC
I got 91/216
yea i got this and my teacher got it... we went though it with him after.

overall i think the exam was easier than past years because of question 10, there was nothing difficult in that...
however i lost 1 mark after realising when we were going through the exam after with my teacher, with that isosceles triangle with drawing more triangles inside it... i dnt remember drawing any triangles as such, so i think i missed it, just overlooked it or somehting...
i estimate my mark to be 117-119/120

Scottymacc

HSC
six sub intervals = 7 values
Thank god, it was starting to worry me that that may have been another question i got wrong...

I thought the exam was very very hard. Especially Question 10. I liked 8 and 9 much better than 10.

i think i will get around 85-90/120, (i added up the ones i think i got wrong then added 10% error) :)

jess6

HSC
haha it kinda suxed!!...oh well on the plus side no more maths ever again!!!
stupid rollercoasters...knew i hated them for a reason!

Scottymacc

HSC
six sub intervals = 7 values
Thank god, it was starting to worry me that that may have been another question i got wrong...

I thought the exam was very very hard. Especially Question 10. I liked 8 and 9 much better than 10.

i think i will get around 85-90/120, (i added up the ones i think i got wrong then added 10% error)

verdades

HSC
WTF was up with the decay question about radium? I swear there wasn't even enough information to complete the answer! That test was dodgy...
I thought that... For a while.
Then I realised that you didn't need an A value, or the Q value, because that was either A/2 or A/3 and when you divided that by A, it turned out to be 1/2 etc, so it was great.

Lost about 5 straight marks through the last bit of Q9, and a few other marks in a similar type of question somewhere else, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty good.

boxhunter91

HSC
yea i got this and my teacher got it... we went though it with him after.

overall i think the exam was easier than past years because of question 10, there was nothing difficult in that...
however i lost 1 mark after realising when we were going through the exam after with my teacher, with that isosceles triangle with drawing more triangles inside it... i dnt remember drawing any triangles as such, so i think i missed it, just overlooked it or somehting...
i estimate my mark to be 117-119/120
WTF shady dont u do 4 unit??
BTW guys for that tide question did u guys get
6AM and 10AM? ie t=1 and t=5?
and was the one before it just differentiating and letting =0?
I dont even understand wtf low tide is..

bradbradbrad

HSC
.. was I wrong to, on the isosceles triangles question, split the triangle down the middle and basically re-draw the diagram from the start of the question on either side of the middle line?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yep i got that for the bit with the ship and 1.35 metres or wateva

the bit before that, somehow (i have no idea how), i found the low tide to be 0.3 or something

and then found low tide to be at 2pm ( i think, i cant memba)

but thats probably wrong

shady145

Banned
HSC
and was the one before it just differentiating and letting =0?
I dont even understand wtf low tide is..
i just updated my sig =(...
with your answers yes they are what i got

61st of April

HSC
WTF was up with the decay question about radium? I swear there wasn't even enough information to complete the answer! That test was dodgy...
IS THIS HOW YOU DO IT??? This is how I did it and no idea if it is right (this is from memory, the question is down in the car and I'm too lazy to go down there and get it :p )

I originally thought there wasn't enough info too, but because you are never given an amount, I just let Q=Q. The question tells you that A is a constant and equal to the initial amount, therefore A=Q {Q=Ae^(-k x 0), Q=A}. You know that Q is halved at t=1600, so Q/2 = Qe^(-1600k). Now divide by Q and the Q's cancel out => 1/2 = e^(-1600k), so ln 0.5 divided by -1600 = k. I seem to remember it as 0.0004...something or other???

As for the next part, I let the safe level of radium = x, so the current (and initial) level = 3x. I then said that after 1600 years, this level will have reduced to 1.5x, and now 1.5x = 3x e^(-1600k), and from here, I don't remember what I did, but I clearly remember ending up with the answer 2666.7 years, after dividing something by 1.5, and adding 1600 to something else.

Apart from that, it was a rather difficult test! Questions 1-4 were fairly easy, 7 was crap and time was up at the end of 8b). Eh. I tried, and it seems that many people agree it was tough!

HSC
The radium question was easy, you just let Q = 50 and A = 100

50 = 100e^(-1600k)

Because it tells you that it takes 1600 years for the amount of radium to reduce by half, use anything..100 and 50.. 1 and 1/2 etc..

mmmmm... I just let 2Q=A and thus,

A/2 = Ae^(-1600k)

And then the A's cancel out so your left with

1/2=e^(-1600k).... same thing anyways

shady145

Banned
HSC
yep i got that for the bit with the ship and 1.35 metres or wateva

the bit before that, somehow (i have no idea how), i found the low tide to be 0.3 or something

and then found low tide to be at 2pm ( i think, i cant memba)

but thats probably wrong
yep, i dnt remember the other part

polso

HSC
you just had to use the ratio they gave you. it ended up...

A/3 = Ae^(-kt)

so divide through by A

1/3 = e^(-kt)

t = ln(1/3) / -k

i think i used 3A in my haste but thats how you do it...

tonyharrison

HSC
Where was the "Solve 4e + 6pi to 3 decimal points" question?

It'd been less than a second and i already had to show my failed graph-drawing skills

HSC
would the 1967 mathematics syllabus still be relevant..? lol

Yeah it actually would... They havent touched maths in hundred years... My tutor told me its the golden course and that its the one that the board of studies must not touch and therefore they dont

boxhunter91

HSC
God dam i thought it wanted to get to X and not to half of 3x. FFSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Misread the question...
yeh im banking close to 90%.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Man that was a hard paper!

What the hell was that 4 isosceles triangle ? Who does BOS think we are @_@
Such a stupid question [FONT=MS 明朝]( ̄□ ̄;)[/FONT]

chazzles

HSC
All you guys are insane! I was feeling good about it until I read all this!

heavenfalling

HSC
Goodbye to ATAR of 90+ & unsw/usyd and hello uws. Question 10 was ok compared to the other years but hard questions scattered everywhere :/. They didn't even ask co ordinate geometry like how they did every year.
Shittest maths exam I had ever.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)