General Thoughts: Modern History 2008 HSC Exam (1 Viewer)

shanks27

HSC
Re: How was modern Exam?

with core, i can't remember exactly what the last question was, it was a long time ago....from the best of my memory i thought it was source C and D historian blah blah about the varying attitudes and the home front and changing attitudes over time??? right so i said both good but neither showed change over time in each country cos only show one point... did i misread the question starting to doubt my own memory/ mind

rest of the exam was good, didn't think it was too bad

spango0

HSC
Re: Howd you find it?

Yeah, I spent a really really long time on Speer (perhaps even TOO much).

I gave a shout out to Leni in my Speer essay actually :] commented on how impressive the party rally of '34 was, and its influence in the triumph of the will doco.

More or less I argued with opposing sets of Historians (structuralists Vs Intentionalists) proving that the question of the 'moral nazi' is important/ continues to be debated etc... due to the successes (i.e. winner) of Speer in his various roles, and the influence of his actions. Thus it is about him winning... somehow... as it they would not bother writing such dubious amounts on a looser.

Lolz, CRAP.

McLovin

HSC

With the three effects question what did you guys write as the third effect apart from the obvious physical and morale one?

lucidassembly

HSC

A pretty fair exam overall :)

WW1 - Really easy questions, although I still managed to screw up the Home Front one by idiotically neglecting usefulness :p Stupid stupid stupid... I could beat myself over the head with a brick.

Personality (Trotsky): Slightly odd but nice. I wrote too much on part A though... majorly not happy, since it gave me a little less time to do the 15 marker.

Russia - First question was awesome. It was nice that it crossed over several historical periods, so you could kind of compare and analyse. Lots of stuff you could talk about too!

Cold War - Haha broad much? It was hard trying to cover 60 years of history, but ultimately, a good question.

I'm really liking BOS this year. They haven't thrown us any major curveballs, so there's not much to complain about lol.

As much as I've loved this subject, yay for our last modern exam ever! :D

imqt

Premium Member
HSC

McLovin said:
With the three effects question what did you guys write as the third effect apart from the obvious physical and morale one?
omg lol i got stuck on that, im like what fak!! i said morale, physical, and i think death or something

imqt

Premium Member
HSC

hypnotic-jazz said:
I'm jealous. I just sat like an idiot thinking about what i was gonna write, it takes me about an hour of thinking to figure out wat bullshiz I'm gonna make.

you would have done fine dw :)

HSC

lucidassembly said:
A pretty fair exam overall :)

Cold War - Haha broad much? It was hard trying to cover 60 years of history, but ultimately, a good question.
lol yeah that's why it was so great... so much to pick and choose from

rexan

HSC
N/A

Yeah i hate those list three things questions.
I put morale, being shot at and abandoning their post.

jennieTalia

HSC

stillwaters said:
cold war ate me and spat me out... i did the ideologies question and actually kept changing my mind constantly while i was writing my essay about whether it was ideologically driven or not or was or not...
but ^^ one more exam down...
EXACT SAME PROBLEM
But we can hope that they view it as balancing the viewpoints...

I think i may have pulled it off alright *wistful* I've been trying to convince myself that it went fine :S
I can never tell :S

rexan

HSC
N/A

I efing loved that exam!!:lol:
WW1 was a walk in the park.
I had done democratic failure and success to death in class, best question I could have got.
Speer was okay, i never like those qutoes or Speer but i've seen alot worse, and I liked the winner and history debate. I argued Speer was a winner i.e rise through the party, manipulated Nuremburg court with his remourseful facade, closest man to Hitler who survived, made a million with book sales and cemented his place in history. Sure beats Goering.
I nearly cried with joy when i saw the conflict in europe question. I've studied ww2 aviation out if interest since I was in like yr 10 and I just cut a hole in that question and raped it.:D

Last edited:

oi.olivia

HSC

I thought WWI was harder then I thought it would be. trials were much easier. I think most people will get caught up with the 'historical context' part of the personality question, because it actually refers to a specific part of the syllabus.
Russia was good and Indochina was difficult to speak about everything in 45 mins.
Didn't really enjoy the paper but it was fine.

HSC

jennieTalia said:
EXACT SAME PROBLEM
But we can hope that they view it as balancing the viewpoints...
problem!?! lol for me that's why the question was so great
i went yeah ideology big impact here and here and here BUT then here and there they realise oh shit we're all doomed must be friendlier (to their face)

markers love balanced view points coz it means you can think lol
you'll be fine

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC

bobet said:
gosh.:disco: :uhoh:
i think i failed arab israel section.
I had all the right into dates and etc.
few quotes.
:(
mark estimate anybody?
i dont usually write shit essays
yeh hey i had all the info i just felt like my essay writing skills left me in my moment of need :(

rani.g.

HSC

rexan said:
I nearly cried with joy when i saw the conflict in europe question.

I just cut a hole in that question and raped it.:D
Well done, I was the opposite! I only talked about the air war for one argument, then ranted on about other related determining factors like the eastern front, liberation of france, and north africa. 9 pages I think

Trotsky - great, lots of room for interpretation - 14 pages all up (this is my record so far - yay!)
Russia - oh dear me....ok though, chose option a) and went on about modernisation, foreign policy, and the Red Terror - 10 pages
WWI - could it have been any more generic?

overall, a decent exam, but not brilliant by any stretch

jennieTalia

HSC

nirvanafreak02 said:
problem!?! lol for me that's why the question was so great
i went yeah ideology big impact here and here and here BUT then here and there they realise oh shit we're all doomed must be friendlier (to their face)

markers love balanced view points coz it means you can think lol
you'll be fine
I like to have an opinion rather than fence sit, because I can angle everything in that regard.
This question I felt was so... well, goddam broad, that I had to write about everything under the sun and end up with no decision!!
But then again, at least I wasn't sitting there like 'what to write now?' as I was with Nazi Germany Totalitarian question :O

HSC

jennieTalia said:
I like to have an opinion rather than fence sit, because I can angle everything in that regard.
This question I felt was so... well, goddam broad, that I had to write about everything under the sun and end up with no decision!!
But then again, at least I wasn't sitting there like 'what to write now?' as I was with Nazi Germany Totalitarian question :O
but sitting on a fence doesn't mean you don't have an opinion, just means your conflicted (or at least to the marker) which is exactly what happened in the cold war therefore you should be okay because it means you weren't ignoring half the cold war

cold war's so big =.=

bobet said:
Oh woe us

Its quite bizzare for me - you know not like english were were memorise everyhting. Modern, its more pot luck despite the notes for me. I can't even remember quotes yet I can write off 1000 billion ones in other subjects.

does anyone else have this problem?

Mind you...im not stupid. I get good marks generally.
lol yes.. my solution is that i remember how the historian stands on a certain issue and then paraphrase ideas to suit my purpose

jennieTalia

HSC

hahaha I guess

Yeah my textbook is like mammoth... with teeny writing.

I prefer my Leni Riefenstahl any day. Womans a freaking genius :) (Olympia is beautiful)

rexan

HSC
N/A

rani.g. said:
I only talked about the air war for one argument, then ranted on about other related determining factors like the eastern front, liberation of france, and north africa. 9 pages I think
I whished I'd had time to write about other facotrs, would have strengthened the essay, but i had too much to write about in aviation.

rani.g.

HSC

rexan said:
I whished I'd had time to write about other facotrs, would have strengthened the essay, but i had too much to write about in aviation.
lol. I don't think thats a bad thing - markers will be pretty impressed if you can talk about aviation in detail for 45 minutes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)