General thoughts on the whole English Adv. Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

Boo_

HSC
H.S.What? said:
haha i hear ya ... did exactly the same thing ... added a few points on emphasis and deliberate events or watever it said...
yeah, and it was easy to do since the question is fairly straight forward, though frontline is in general, and all the questions are very similar

bustinjustin

HSC
dumfounded_me said:
I never thought of it like that, do you think we'll be penalized for doing a simple essay? I thought it just meant write another essay to reinforce the first one that was challenged by the other student. *is worried now* I thought I did ok, got a little messy to begin with, but Emma vs Clueless isn't my best module, I'd say Frontline was the best, but now you've made me think twice about Lear....
Nah you shouldn't worry too much, they didn't specify a text type, so it was a pretty open ended question.

leigha said:
Don't worry i wrote it as in straight essay format-what informal language?u just had to make it persuasive with ur point of view inserted every now and then. anyway who cares-no more english ever!i'd pre-prepared essays for emma/clueless and FL so i reckon i did okay on those ones...screwed on mod B.
A bit of informal language was needed for a classroom discussion, the text type that I wrote my Module B response in, just to add to... 'verisimiltude'. I actually enjoyed writing my Module B response, there are so many possibilities with a conversation-like response...

H.S.What?

HSC
Boo_ said:
yeah, and it was easy to do since the question is fairly straight forward, though frontline is in general, and all the questions are very similar
i didnt think the question was straightforawrd at all, i just kinda bullshitted my way through the question and tried to link my response to the question
:S

Boo_

HSC
H.S.What? said:
i didnt think the question was straightforawrd at all, i just kinda bullshitted my way through the question and tried to link my response to the question
:S
put it this way, some examples of questions:

"it is a myth that truth exists"
- u can talk about how the presented truth is never the same as the real truth, as the 'truth' is being selected, with emphasis being put in place where by it can generate the greater ratings

"Truth is not simple"
- the presented truth is never the straighforward truth, as deliberate acts of selection and emphasis are excercised over the real truth before it is presented, and by this stage the truth has been changed beyond recognition.

SARS.

HSC
lolz i thoght the King Lear question was really gay..... the frontline and brave new world/blade runner question were quite easy :D

got_ur_69

HSC
quick shout out to those who've been brainwashed by the critics of olmc parramatta getting an extra 20 minutes.....
1. the fire alarm was not only the bell....the hall we do exams in has its own recorded message accompanied by siren, much like an ambulance, which was turned off approx 5 minutes AFTER the regular alarm.
2. Extra 20 minutes granted only after phone call to board of studies, who were primarily concerned with our safety and whether we were actually evacuated.
3. Any extra time is not forseen to grant us any spectacular advantage. The misadventure of MAYBE 1-2 marks would not compensate us as entirely as the extra time. Personally, 4 pages in 20 minutes is done easily, but while the alarm was going off, only did one - of inferior quality.
Love you all.....hopefully it happens to you and you might get a clue

HSC
I did Gwen Harwood - the "refer to at least three poems" threw me off, but I think I did alright. A number of people I know (and heard exclaiming "What the hell; THREE POEMS?") only did two...

At least they didn't state "refer to Violets" or something. I would have cried haha. -.-

It was a fair enough I reckon, not too hard or easy. Though I was hoping for a dialogue somewhere there. They're fun =p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
SilveryNightsky said:
I did Gwen Harwood - the "refer to at least three poems" threw me off, but I think I did alright. A number of people I know (and heard exclaiming "What the hell; THREE POEMS?") only did two...

At least they didn't state "refer to Violets" or something. I would have cried haha. -.-

It was a fair enough I reckon, not too hard or easy. Though I was hoping for a dialogue somewhere there. They're fun =p
Dialogue? Hell no :p - give me a speech, a feature article or a letter to the editor...but never a dialogue or an interview...

LovelyHelen

HSC
speeches

I thought the module b specification was good - I mean, I do speeches and we'd been warned that they might specify a speech. We learn 12 speeches and asking us to know them ALL well enough is obscene - I thought asking for 3 was a good way to make sure we knew our stuff but without being unfair. I did socrates/goldman/mcaleese - freedom of speech trio.

ashbashmccrash

i think that the question on brave new world and blade runner was really good...i think becasue i tryed to prepare well for this and frontline was an easy essay to write...though all 3 of my questions were essays!!

shingaling

HSC
N/A
The exam wasnt all that bad! I thought the Frontline and Transformations questions were good. I had a stroke for the Harwood poems, really i only knew 2 poems really well so i managed to weave in a dodgy "At Mornington". I am sooooo happy that its over!

K

katie_tully

It was completely kick arse. The entire paper. We did Emma/Clueless, Lear and Frontline. They were the best questions ever for these modules, I couldn't be happier.

lauren_rose

gorgo31 said:
Good, fair paper, except they've screwed around with Critical Study of Texts twice in two years. Making the poetry kids do three poems, after four years of doing two, is also harsh. Sweets, no offence, but I don't know how you can compare this year's Critical Study question to HSC 2002: "Two people, who like your prescribed text for different reasons, are having a conversation." I can't wait to see how they mark it.
i did the poetry topic for module B and i really didnt think it was too bad! yeah they did ask for three instead of two but we study 6 for a reason and also in 2002 i think it was, they specified a poem so it could have been worse. generally it was good.

HSC
Twas alrightio

I did the Mod A: Hamlet/R&G, Mod B: CS, Mod C: Frontline questions and it wasn't so bad. I agree that the questions were quite fair and general enough to allow you to mold most of your knowledge to it ( :( just wish I had learnt an essay off by heart...).
As to no creatives, I was kind of looking forward to having a creative, expecially in CS, but either way, I'd take our 2005 HSC over any other past HSC English Adv. papers any day.

How many pages (or booklets) did everyone write ?

carlybeth

Funeral Director
HSC
I thought it was the epitomy of 'fucked up' exam.
H/RGAD: Ambiguous question
YEATS: No three poems link. You essentially have to go off on a dangerous tangent. I have no problem with there being three poems, I learnt them all just in case, but how are we supposed to back up an arguement we've never made?
F/l: Not a feature article or a Speech, as far as I'm concerned it's easiest to portray the meaning behind Frontline by using irony and satire yourself...I was really pissed it didn't allow for any creative input.

Not Happy at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)