General Thoughts: SOR I (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
Re: General Thoughts: Studies of Religion I

I think the first MC will be highly debated. Mutual understanding is a characteristic of Ecumenism, but it's a Catholic interpretation. The Uniting Church (an ecumenical movement) is characterised by their unification. I can't see it to be social justice; that's not what ecumenism is. I think it depends on your understanding of "unification" and what constitutes "unification" in a religious context, and similarly, which denomination or political definition would you take the definition from.

sod

HSC
N/A

lol what the hell, my supervisors say they have to take it back due to some new rule BOS implemented this year. :/ What is BOS actually gona do with it though? Unless they got paid to recycle their papers or something :/

But we got to take home maths, because we had different supervisors and they probably didn't know :p
is it possible your school is just keeping them so they have them for next year's students?? i know we get told everytime to take the papers home

maxgilbert

HSC

I dropped SOR the day before trials started :)
Would love to see the paper though, anyone know of an uploaded copy?
is this jaqui pemberton?? st patsS?? haha

hartmann

HSC

this is from the nsw ecumenical council: "As churches together we are committed to a journey of peace and reconciliation for ourselves and our world, rediscovering our unity in the love of Christ in order that God's love and healing may be known to all. Being together enables us to know God more deeply, to express a common voice on issues of concern in society, and to work together on specific projects concerning the churches and the needs of the wider community"

- that would appear to be unity & social justice??
Hmmm true i considered Unification...maybe they will end up doing like in 09 when one of the MC had two correct answers???

D94

HSC
N/A

this is from the nsw ecumenical council: "As churches together we are committed to a journey of peace and reconciliation for ourselves and our world, rediscovering our unity in the love of Christ in order that God's love and healing may be known to all. Being together enables us to know God more deeply, to express a common voice on issues of concern in society, and to work together on specific projects concerning the churches and the needs of the wider community"

- that would appear to be unity & social justice??
Well, you would need unity before social justice can occur, yes/no?

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC

For the essay, there's no wrong way to do it really.

You can say it was a religion of justice, but then you'd also at LEAST mention why it isn't so much one of compassion. Because that's addressing the full question.

Vice Versa.

The easiest was just to do both, as long as you have the examples and could link it with questions of human existence.

I'm hoping for >46, as long as multiple choice doesn't screw me over.

Kimbles2011

HSC
For multiple choice question one, I put D. Purely because it said unification, which made me think of a physical merge, like the formation of the Uniting Church, rather than general unity....
Social Justice didn't seem to be the best explanation of the purpose, as it is an outcome of ecumenism.
So I said D... :S But I can see how B could work too... :)

sod

HSC
N/A

Well, you would need unity before social justice can occur, yes/no?
i think more simply it's just social justice is an issue, not the purpose & mutual understanding is for a specific reason = unity because without the mutual understanding you couldn't have unity?

either way, for question 1 of a SOR paper - the idiot who wrote it messed up

so UNIFICATION im sticking with

Last edited:

TorMental

HSC

Crap, i put unification, because that is what ecumenism aims for. Well i thought. W/E! GAME OVER!

smartalec

HSC
if you go to the supportive documents in 2009, go right down to the end of the document that provide examples of questions - including a focus on just one tradition aspect.
also i think 1 = B

jamesfirst

HSC

Crap, i put unification, because that is what ecumenism aims for. Well i thought. W/E! GAME OVER!
It is unification isn't it ??

It's a movement to unify different christian denominations .

D94

HSC
N/A

i think more simply it's just social justice is an issue, not the purpose & mutual understanding is for a specific reason = unity because without the mutual understanding you couldn't have unity?

either way, for question 1 of a SOR paper - the idiot who wrote it messed up
I concur. If it happens to be C or D, we shall go and argue with the BOS (you may be on 49/50) :p

jamesfirst

HSC

i got exactly the same except for 10 i said B coz i think theres more young people
I was thinking this. Because pentecostal saw a rise... but then it was the ONLY option with the young people % being greater. So I thought it couldn't be it.

emilyritchie

HSC

Well I put D, mutual understanding. I don't think that ecumenism is about seeking unification (because all Christian denominations are seperate for good reasons, and don't want to seek unity), but they want to reach a common understanding of common held values due to similar beliefs (social justice being only one of many). If tat makes sense. I don't know! I just thought that D seemed the most logical :)

jamesfirst

HSC

Well I put D, mutual understanding. I don't think that ecumenism is about seeking unification (because all Christian denominations are seperate for good reasons, and don't want to seek unity), but they want to reach a common understanding of common held values due to similar beliefs (social justice being only one of many). If tat makes sense. I don't know! I just thought that D seemed the most logical :)
Isn't mutual understanding more of Interfaith dialogue ???

Ecumenism is aimed to unify denominations.

Galladrim

HSC

I was satisfied with what I wrote, the essay question was something different, but I'm confident in my response, so all should be good.

An hour and a half really flies by.

The first question of the multiple choice -.- Who write these things? I ended up going with D

The rest were all really easy though.

sod

HSC
N/A

but what does common understanding of common values equal? unity!

D94

HSC
N/A

It depends on what you interpret as unification. If it means to unify the gospels, to unify their stance, to unify their goals/aims/purposes, then that's what ecumenism does, hence by logic, it would be unification. If it means to form one whole Christianity (ie. no denominations) then I'd say it would be mutual understanding, although I know that mutual understanding is closely associated with interfaith dialogue.

HSC

Gahhhh I couldn't decide on that stupid question! I put mutual understanding but now I think it should've been unification. Argh always do this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)