general UNSW chit-chat (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
It, like many other reformed TAFE colleges, does not deserve to be recognised as a university.

UTS is similar to polytechnical colleges overseas which is something in between a university and a TAFE college. Like polytechs overseas, the emphasis is on "industry" which means a less rigorous approach to teaching and research.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
dddman said:
whats the first letter of UTS, someone must be stupid not to know that
I though the U stood for "I Can't Believe It's not TAFE!™"

elfm

HSC
dddman said:
whats the first letter of UTS, someone must be stupid not to know that
there's a difference between a "real uni" and a "uni". real uni's don't look like domokun

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
§eraphim said:
. Like polytechs overseas, the emphasis is on "industry" which means a less rigorous approach to teaching and research.
That's not to say UNSW doesn't have courses which focus on industry. But even these courses and faculties have a mutitude of research faculties funded on goverment and private grants.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
It, like many other reformed TAFE colleges, does not deserve to be recognised as a university.

UTS is similar to polytechnical colleges overseas which is something in between a university and a TAFE college. Like polytechs overseas, the emphasis is on "industry" which means a less rigorous approach to teaching and research.
Ironic as UNSW was originally a TAFE college also.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No, UNSW was founded as a university. There may have been some technical college beforehand, but who cares about that?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
hahaha velox where'd you find that? That's a total misconception dude. lol for a unsw student you sound confused...

UNSW was founded in 1949 as the NSW Uni of Technology which primarily based itself upon engineering and science. It then became UNSW in 1958. It was never a low life TAFE college like you said :p

UTS however started out as an institute just like all those other institutes you find scattered around Sydney like the "Institute of Music" or College of Nursing, and by 1988 then it became recognised as a university. But yep, just as Neb says, who cares...

Last edited:

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Who really cares? Why does it matter? In the end, UNSW has more grass and fresh air than UTS. And considering you have to spend 4-5 years in the place, it's a big plus point.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lol curry dont get so defensive. It's just something i found interesting. Yeh UTS would lead to a slow and painful death if I had to study there for 5 yrs.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol at least I don't use swear words and go all out offensive like you do, just to criticize someone on a minor point...not to mention going into someone's profile for the sake of looking up their name lmao. Anyway let's stop this. I don't want a fight with another student at this good uni.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rekkusu said:
Lol at least I don't use swear words and go all out offensive like you do, just to criticize someone on a minor point...not to mention going into someone's profile for the sake of looking up their name lmao. Anyway let's stop this. I don't want a fight with another student at this good uni.
I just remembered your old username. (been here for a while).

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
velox said:
Haha rekkusu, dont try to use my own line on me... loser

Read frigid's post. http://community.boredofstudies.org...614/uts/post-1203635.html?highlight=tafe+unsw
I'm not familiar with the origins of UTS, but Frigids post (which is nothing new to anyone who read up on UNSW before coming here) does state that UNSW was founded specifically to be a university. The Institute of technology may have been around beforehand, but from that they created UNSW, which was located somewhere else.

Either way, UNSW is more universityish than UTS.

phrred

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I'm not familiar with the origins of UTS, but Frigids post (which is nothing new to anyone who read up on UNSW before coming here) does state that UNSW was founded specifically to be a university. The Institute of technology may have been around beforehand, but from that they created UNSW, which was located somewhere else.

Either way, UNSW is more universityish than UTS.
united tafes of sydney

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Yeah, only one more semester of math left. Two years is more than enough for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)