• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General UTS chit-chat (2 Viewers)

spence

HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and omg back to uni noooo!' Thread

Huratio said:
Wonder if you still have to do multiple choice questions online every week for Economics.. (MyAtlas lol...)
Yeah that's still happening

krayzie_

HSC

spence said:
Yeah that's still happening
His right, it still is happening. How were the questions for you Hur? Straight out or typical trick question crap. The lecturer also says they are gonna be allocating us to diff pracs (at the same time of our chosen) based on what we get in the questions.

Anyway how is everyone finding the "renovations" they did downstairs in the food court. I reckon its crap, real shit whoever decided for it to happen should be shot. I use to like coming down there with all the comfy chairs and dim lights. Now they have removed all the comfy chairs to eat on, removed the carpets and bloody made the lighting bright as a stadium. SO crap

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:
His right, it still is happening. How were the questions for you Hur? Straight out or typical trick question crap. The lecturer also says they are gonna be allocating us to diff pracs (at the same time of our chosen) based on what we get in the questions.
Some of them were pretty easy, and some really annoyed me. So they are a mix of straight out and trick questions lol.

They way they did it in my semester was that if you scored well (top 50%), you would be allocated to an "Application Class" in which you did comprehension exercises on newspaper articles/long-response questions about the topic for the week. Otherwise if you did not score well (bottom 50%), you would be allocated to a "Theory Class" in which you went through the textbook and highlighted main points.

There was a substantial problem with this though- MyAtlas didn't give you any answers, so you didn't really know if you got a particular question correct or not (I think this problem would have been fixed by now, because lots of us complained to Chris Bajada for it to be resolved) i.e. All I got was an email that said I was in the Application class every week =\

The application class would be the one to get into- because you would get the multiple choice practice from MyAtlas and the newspaper article comprehension/long-response practice in the tutorials - the best practice for the final exam.

krayzie_

HSC

Huratio said:
Some of them were pretty easy, and some really annoyed me. So they are a mix of straight out and trick questions lol.

They way they did it in my semester was that if you scored well (top 50%), you would be allocated to an "Application Class" in which you did comprehension exercises on newspaper articles/long-response questions about the topic for the week. Otherwise if you did not score well (bottom 50%), you would be allocated to a "Theory Class" in which you went through the textbook and highlighted main points.

There was a substantial problem with this though- MyAtlas didn't give you any answers, so you didn't really know if you got a particular question correct or not (I think this problem would have been fixed by now, because lots of us complained to Chris Bajada for it to be resolved) i.e. All I got was an email that said I was in the Application class every week =\

The application class would be the one to get into- because you would get the multiple choice practice from MyAtlas and the newspaper article comprehension/long-response practice in the tutorials - the best practice for the final exam.
Oh I see, he didn't go into much detail about the classes besides we would be allocated into classes from our scores, however the classes are not even compulsary! Yea this semester I think I remember him saying that we would be able to review the answers once everyone was done or something.

So there are only two classes less then 50 and greater then 50. lol, sounds like dumb and smart to me =\ Ah, man for some reason I nearly fell asleep in economics - its so boring the first lecture o_O

How is the final exam set out? Do you have any samples? Is there alot of essay questions =\

spence

HSC

krayzie_ said:
Ah, man for some reason I nearly fell asleep in economics - its so boring the first lecture o_O
Yeah same. First lesson of year 11 all over again

krayzie_

HSC

spence said:
Yeah same. First lesson of year 11 all over again
Mm, glad I wasn't the only one.. he has a monotone voice. I was drifting off literally. LOL

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:
Oh I see, he didn't go into much detail about the classes besides we would be allocated into classes from our scores, however the classes are not even compulsary! Yea this semester I think I remember him saying that we would be able to review the answers once everyone was done or something.

So there are only two classes less then 50 and greater then 50. lol, sounds like dumb and smart to me =\ Ah, man for some reason I nearly fell asleep in economics - its so boring the first lecture o_O

How is the final exam set out? Do you have any samples? Is there alot of essay questions =\
Economics was really boring for me too- I fell asleep a couple of times (not as much as I did in BLEthics though). I did Economics in Year 12, so there wasn't alot of new things I had to learn (other than those micro calculations!).

I posted a sample final paper here a while ago: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=2900855&postcount=26

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

I found Economics confusing, especially after like Lecture 4, coz I hadn't done economics in the HSC. It was alright in the end though, after reading the book, but it's like the whole HSC course in 1 semester. My tutor was fairly crap so I only went to a few tutorials, also because my tutorial was at a really bad time coz I remember I got into Economics when it was pretty much full and I was on the waiting list.

krayzie_

HSC

Thanks Hur, what year is that examination for? Is that the only one which was made available? Also was that how "your" actual exam came out or was it significantly different?

Did you read the textbook jase? lol, ouch* I found the first lecture super boring with all his graphs, hopefully it will get better =D

Can we buy the lecture notes from any union shop or does it have to be the one in haymarket?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

I did it my first semester that I transfered into Business/IT (so that was the start of 3rd year). So erhm it was a bit weird for me to get used to reading books, etc. I read the textbook for the first few weeks and I realised that it made sense, but after that I sort of got lazy and skimmed thru the rest. I didn't do too well in the mid-sem, but I think I did alright in the rest and I ended up with a better than expected result.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:
Thanks Hur, what year is that examination for? Is that the only one which was made available? Also was that how "your" actual exam came out or was it significantly different?
This was the sample I got when I did Economics in Spring, 2006. The actual final exam was pretty similar in terms of structure and question style. I found it useful. Your subject coordinator should give you a sample too (if not demand it lol...)

krayzie_ said:
Can we buy the lecture notes from any union shop or does it have to be the one in haymarket?
You can check outside the Broadway Union Shop- and they normally have a big poster of which lecture notes they have.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

haha bec, i have indeed seen daniel and you on vertigo...doing a very good job so keep it up.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

i havent even opened my textbook yet.....

krayzie_

HSC

Thanks for that, yeah I bought it from the union shop at markets! Ah thats good to hear hopefully the exam hasn't changed much since 2006 ^^

"CPA Australia/Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia/Chartered Institute of Management Accountants: This degree with an Accounting major meets the formal educational membership requirements. Further information is available from CPA Australia."

Someone care to elaborate on this..?

What I'm reading seems to be - finish degree = CPA?

Surely it can't be that easy.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

krayzie_ said:
Someone care to elaborate on this..?

I wish! lol

What it means that the accounting major covers the, if you like, pre-requisite subjects you need to actually do the CPA/CA programme. These programmes themselves take another couple of years of study (and you need at least 3 years work at a register/recognised firm in order to be eligible to do it or something like that). Read up on it on their respective websites. I do admit however, the sites are kinda wishy-washy in some areas and annoying to navigate.

Bah, I wrote student instead of study lol

Last edited:

krayzie_

HSC

ragnarok said:
I wish! lol

What it means that the accounting major covers the, if you like, pre-requisite subjects you need to actually do the CPA/CA programme. These programmes themselves take another couple of years of student (and you need at least 3 years work at a register/recognised firm in order to be eligible to do it or something like that). Read up on it on their respective websites. I do admit however, the sites are kinda wishy-washy in some areas and annoying to navigate.
Haha, yeah I thought so. I just read it and it says we can become an Associate Member with CPA but to become CPA status, we need to do the CPA program as well as the mentor program! How long is the actual CPA program anyway? and OMG@mentor program. 3 years must be a short time for CPA's =\ gay 3yearsmentor + the actual programn = along time I assume.

The site is horrible.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:

Would be so cool if that was true =)

Mentor program isn't too demanding. You would be working with a CPA/CA and they just pull you through the program.

The studying is hard though (especially the CA)- but I'm not too worried about it yet.

Anyways I didn't go to the Accounting lecture today lol (I really didn't feel like listening to Jon for 2hrs).

krayzie_

HSC

Huratio said:
Would be so cool if that was true =)

Mentor program isn't too demanding. You would be working with a CPA/CA and they just pull you through the program.

The studying is hard though (especially the CA)- but I'm not too worried about it yet.

Anyways I didn't go to the Accounting lecture today lol (I really didn't feel like listening to Jon for 2hrs).
Yeah, that would be too good to be true. It might even make the CPA status drop in prestige due to the ease of it!

What are you planning to do CA or CPA? How long would it take for the actual studying part of it anyway?

Dw, you didn't miss much.. Same old Jon.. except there was a CPA exec who dropped in to give a little speech about making us all become CPA's, well those who are majoring in accounting anyway.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

If that was true I'd be a CPA too already! Not sure if I will ever do the CPA/CA though, considering I'm working in IT at the moment.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:
Yeah, that would be too good to be true. It might even make the CPA status drop in prestige due to the ease of it!

What are you planning to do CA or CPA? How long would it take for the actual studying part of it anyway?

Dw, you didn't miss much.. Same old Jon.. except there was a CPA exec who dropped in to give a little speech about making us all become CPA's, well those who are majoring in accounting anyway.
I'm planning to do a CA.
Hmm.. There are 5 subjects in the CA, but I'm not sure how long they go for. It does take a fair amount of time- and employers will certainly give you study breaks to get through it.

Hmm.. I've sat through those CPA and CA talks already- they go every semester to Accounting 1 and 2.

jase_ said:
If that was true I'd be a CPA too already! Not sure if I will ever do the CPA/CA though, considering I'm working in IT at the moment.
Hmm. Your at Westpac right now aren't you? I vaguely remember you saying that (or it could be someone else).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)