• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General UTS chit-chat (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and omg back to uni noooo!' Thread

Are the employment/accomm etc services provided by UTS done via the Union or straight through the uni?

(Ie management/funding etc.)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

yeah i was referring to the csu...had to pay in excess of $200 a semester back at unsw for services which i didnt even use.
VSU is better coz like you said, you have the option of paying for services that you need etc etc.
Shitload of police cars today though...all i wanted was a free bbq lunch =(

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

hey azamakumar, just out of curiousity, how do you know nam?

boris

Banned
HSC

Malfoy said:
I got published in today's SMH. Yay.

Sitting in a computer lab right now and very, very bored!
Way to stick it to them dirty Marxist types.

Oh wait, what? Miranda Devine. :( *sad in the pants*

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

ah i still see that prick every now and again, always ranting about 2nd year engineers LOL

krayzie_

HSC

Heh,

Hey Hur do you remember the type of question they chose for accounting for business? out of the 12 they are gonna pick two. but theres so many! Did they pick adjustment questions for your semester?

Oh and do you have your notes for mid semester? I noticed the prac questions are the same as previous sems! fark should of registered for u:pass

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Hey,

In my semester my tutor picked Question 3 (classification of an asset or expense) and Question 10 (adjustments, adjusted trial balance, income statement). Don't take this as what you will get though lol- because it will be randomly chosen.

I cannot say for sure that they will pick an adjustment one or not. But in saying that, Questions 7-10 all involve a couple of adjustment transactions- so you better know how to do them!

I have notes for the whole subject- but they are very theory based, and much better for preparation for the final. They way to study for the mid-sem is to practice doing all of the questions and memorise them going into the exam. You only have 1hr to do them (your 2 question) - so you won't be able to sit in the exam and think about the questions that long.

If you have prepared all of your answers, I'd recommend doing the practical one first and take like 15-20mins, and then take the remainder of the time for the theory one, because the theory one is the one they mark harder in my opinion. Using alot of examples and quoting from AASB will score you high marks.

The mid-sems are the same format every semester. All Tiru does is change the numbers.

Feel free to rock up to one of my U:pASS sessions lol. Even though it says my session is all booked out- only like 6 people come every week. We are in the process of cleaning up the registrations (deleting those registrants that don't turn up), but in the meantime you can pretty much drop into my session and I won't really care if you are registered or not =)

My U:pASS Sessions: KG 2-3PM, City 3-4PM. Locations: http://www.ssu.uts.edu.au/peerlearning/register/22107.html

Cheers.

Last edited:

maka

HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and Happy Easter!' Thread

Hahaha when I did Accounting for Business before my transfer I always enjoyed the Accounting for Business classes so much so that I took Option C 100% final.

I got a D anyway so it was good. I found the mid semester awfully difficult. You prepare say 12 answers and only get 2 in the exam. I know its about learning the skills but you will always be disadvantaged if you dont know the precise figures.

Is John Tyler still the lecturer? I remember his 11 am Accounting tut where there were people all on the floor etc because the other lecture was at 6pm Friday. Say the theatre seats 300, you would get 400ish. Hahaha funnily enough as the 1st years like myself became less naive about lecture attendance, it was near empty I am told.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

maka said:
Hahaha when I did Accounting for Business before my transfer I always enjoyed the Accounting for Business classes so much so that I took Option C 100% final.

I got a D anyway so it was good. I found the mid semester awfully difficult. You prepare say 12 answers and only get 2 in the exam. I know its about learning the skills but you will always be disadvantaged if you dont know the precise figures.

Is John Tyler still the lecturer? I remember his 11 am Accounting tut where there were people all on the floor etc because the other lecture was at 6pm Friday. Say the theatre seats 300, you would get 400ish. Hahaha funnily enough as the 1st years like myself became less naive about lecture attendance, it was near empty I am told.
Did you prepare all of your answers for the mid-semester? I prepared all of my answers and also went through them with a group of friends to see if we got similar answers or not, and also teach each other parts that we didn't understand. Like a study group =)
Like I said in my previous post, 1 hour is not a great deal of time- so it is essential to prepare your answers before you go into the exam. I've always questioned the format of the mid-semester, as it is more of a memorisation exam rather than one which questions your knowledge in the subject.

It is very different in the final, where there are no pre-released questions, and not alot of time to do them. I found the final much harder in terms of the time you got to do that many questions that they gave us.

Jon Tyler is still the lecturer, and Tiru (subject coordinator) still teaches 4 lectures of management accounting. There are like 3 lectures in the City and 1 lecture in KG to keep up with the demand for the subject. Used to be less than that and yes, the lectures used to be packed.

dram

i do things
HSC

i did Acc for Busy in Autumn 07. Our tute group was given the balance sheet and income statement question and the theory question about bad debts and writeoffs and such. We didn't have any hour to do ours, only 40 mins :)

i agree with the idea of doing the practical question first - that should be easy to get out the way in under 20 mins.

maka

HSC

Yeah, I remember the exam was on Friday so on Monday, we had a group of 10 of us who skipped the MPO lecture to go to the library and swap all our answers. I did all the theory ones and tried the practical ones. Practical was a bit harder. We did a "study group" thing.

I reckon it should be a 2 hr sit down exam or 2 x 1 hr class tests. 1 for practical and 1 for theory.

I revised them a fair bit but I sort of got to the point where I was like I have these things out of place etc. So I skipped it. Also my tutor wasnt the best either, so I stopped going after mid sem break.

I found the final a lot more flexible as no one had a head start. It was essentially "new" to everyone. Thats the fairest indicator of accounting ability.

So many people failed the mid sem from memory because of the time constraints and the depth of work needed to be covered.

I would still have the answers around in a folder somewhere too.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Ugh myatlas is such a hassle. Was working fine on weds then stopped working yesterday morning when I was in a good mood then went back up before I went to bed.

And on top of that I still had to email chris for last weeks allocation.

:(

krayzie_

HSC

Azamakumar said:
Ugh myatlas is such a hassle. Was working fine on weds then stopped working yesterday morning when I was in a good mood then went back up before I went to bed.

And on top of that I still had to email chris for last weeks allocation.

:(
My myatlas is working fine for me, I think i'm in the 10 + class cos I got 14/20 for last week that is.

Malfoy said:
I hate the MyAtlas system, it is the most useless thing ever. Managed to get it done today, but *shrug*

Love the subject (it's difficult as hell, but) but they need to rethink the MyAtlas and the whole idea of tutorial allocations on a weekly basis.
Yeah I agree, have you seen the discussion board? Its nearly all about people with their problems and alot of panicking too. I reckon if it's causing this much problems it should be scrapped or some other alternative, at least.

Huratio said:
Did you prepare all of your answers for the mid-semester? I prepared all of my answers and also went through them with a group of friends to see if we got similar answers or not, and also teach each other parts that we didn't understand. Like a study group =)
Like I said in my previous post, 1 hour is not a great deal of time- so it is essential to prepare your answers before you go into the exam. I've always questioned the format of the mid-semester, as it is more of a memorisation exam rather than one which questions your knowledge in the subject.

It is very different in the final, where there are no pre-released questions, and not alot of time to do them. I found the final much harder in terms of the time you got to do that many questions that they gave us.

Jon Tyler is still the lecturer, and Tiru (subject coordinator) still teaches 4 lectures of management accounting. There are like 3 lectures in the City and 1 lecture in KG to keep up with the demand for the subject. Used to be less than that and yes, the lectures used to be packed.
Hey I think I may drop in to your U:pASS one day but I would have to skip my economic tutorial. LOL, oh yeah do you still have the answers, I want to use it as a guide. I'm not really sure if each journal entry follows on from each transaction or do you do a seperate entry for each transaction but those entrys follow from each other? cos jon was jokin so hard he covered it super fast. omg i hate it when he goes through the work UBER fast, he reads like a maniac and before I know whats going on its on the next slide =.=

maka said:
I would still have the answers around in a folder somewhere too.
Can I have a copy for guide purposes also? =D

Oh yeah on the 2008 pre released it says its two hours, but jon reckons that the other hour is for us to sit outside and recover. LOL

Last edited:

spence

HSC

The allocation thing seems to not really work. Apparently some girl copied her friend's answers exactly and they got put into different tutes

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Schroedinger said:
How do we find out which tutorial we've been allocated to? I hate this fucking system because it's a waste of my goddamn time.

Probably gonna fuck the tute off anyway and just go to the lecture.

:/

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

dram said:
i did Acc for Busy in Autumn 07. Our tute group was given the balance sheet and income statement question and the theory question about bad debts and writeoffs and such. We didn't have any hour to do ours, only 40 mins :)

i agree with the idea of doing the practical question first - that should be easy to get out the way in under 20 mins.
Oh yeah.. I got 40mins to do mine too. I did Accounting for Business back in Spring 2006 lol.

krayzie_ said:
Hey I think I may drop in to your U:pASS one day but I would have to skip my economic tutorial. LOL, oh yeah do you still have the answers, I want to use it as a guide. I'm not really sure if each journal entry follows on from each transaction or do you do a seperate entry for each transaction but those entrys follow from each other? cos jon was jokin so hard he covered it super fast. omg i hate it when he goes through the work UBER fast, he reads like a maniac and before I know whats going on its on the next slide =.=
I still have my answers I prepared, but I don't think I will give them out. I will probably incorporate them into some of the U:pASS worksheets I give out in my classes though (which you will have to attend to get).

My Ku-Ring-Gai students were having troubles with the adjustment entries this week- so if you want to drop in, you better do so this week lol. I will be going through adjusted journal entries and a worksheet, so this stuff would be pretty useful for the mid-sem.

maka

HSC

Huratio,

Is UTS only using peer group tutoring for Maths/Economic/Finance types of units?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

There are U:pASS session for these subjects:

EPAL (Economics) and FinPAL (Finance) are under the School of Finance and Economics, so it isn't in the list below.

http://www.ssu.uts.edu.au/peerlearning/register/index.html
22107 - Accounting for Business
22207 - Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions
22320 - Accounting for Business Combinations
22321 - Cost Management Systems
22420 - Accounting Standards and Regulations
25745 - Economics: Concepts and Application
31267 - Programming Fundamentals
33130 - Mathematical Modelling 1
33190 - Mathematical Modelling for Science
33230 - Mathematical Modelling 2
65111 - Chemistry 1
68037 - Physical Modelling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)