Getting into Law... (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I rejected the offer from MQ, and accepted an offer from University of Notre Dame (UNDA) for the same degree.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I rejected the offer from MQ, and accepted an offer from University of Notre Dame (UNDA) for the same degree.
oh what was the reason?? I have never heard of UNDA, but it must be a fairly new university right???

enoilgam

HSC
oh what was the reason?? I have never heard of UNDA, but it must be a fairly new university right???
Notre dame is near UTS, its about halfway between the big UTS building and Broadway shopping Centre (the campus is about as big as a primary school). It only opened five years ago. The main reason I didnt go to MQ was travel and because I hadnt heard good things about the univerity. This thread seemed to confirm what I had heard http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=262695&page=1.

Im happy I choose Notre Dame, the university is great and the class sizes are really small (one of my law lectures last semester only had 19 people in it).

Last edited:

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Notre dame is near UTS, its about halfway between the big UTS building and Broadway shopping Centre (the campus is about as big as a primary school). It only opened five years ago. The main reason I didnt go to MQ was travel and because I hadnt heard good things about the univerity. This thread seemed to confirm what I had heard http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=262695&page=1.

Im happy I choose Notre Dame, the university is great and the class sizes are really small (one of my law lectures last semester only had 19 people in it).
Wow 19 PEOPLE in a lecture?? and I didn't even know there was another uni near the CBD that is very amazing and good to hear :).. i just researched apprently notre dame is in the top 5 schools for law in NSW or something.

I see. I was a bit scared after reading those comments but still it doesn't seem to intimidate me significantly although its a bit of a shock O.O..... Im going MQ because the transport is very convenient for me since it will take about 15mins by car for me and the ATAR cut off is a bit more favourable :)..

however law is a difficult course and im not sure if im going to be able to tackle it well..

enoilgam

HSC
Wow 19 PEOPLE in a lecture?? and I didn't even know there was another uni near the CBD that is very amazing and good to hear :).. i just researched apprently notre dame is in the top 5 schools for law in NSW or something.

I see. I was a bit scared after reading those comments but still it doesn't seem to intimidate me significantly although its a bit of a shock O.O..... Im going MQ because the transport is very convenient for me since it will take about 15mins by car for me and the ATAR cut off is a bit more favourable :)..

however law is a difficult course and im not sure if im going to be able to tackle it well..
Contrary to what people might think, travel is important when deciding which university you go to. If your traveling excessive amounts to get to uni this can make the entire process much harder. You shouldnt be to worried about MQ, I'm sure there are probably many people who enjoy the law school.

As a subject, law can be really tough especially considering the sheer amount of writing which you are required to do. Often times people who do humanities subjects in the HSC find it easier during the first year of law, as those subjects contain a lot of writing and they match the skills you need in law (in my opinion modern is probably the closest HSC subject to law in terms of skills). On the other hand people who do science and maths subjects tend to struggle a bit more than others, however this isnt always the case.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Contrary to what people might think, travel is important when deciding which university you go to. If your traveling excessive amounts to get to uni this can make the entire process much harder. You shouldnt be to worried about MQ, I'm sure there are probably many people who enjoy the law school.

As a subject, law can be really tough especially considering the sheer amount of writing which you are required to do. Often times people who do humanities subjects in the HSC find it easier during the first year of law, as those subjects contain a lot of writing and they match the skills you need in law (in my opinion modern is probably the closest HSC subject to law in terms of skills). On the other hand people who do science and maths subjects tend to struggle a bit more than others, however this isnt always the case.
Hope uni will be good =.= im so sick of high school its so boring and i don't fit in the social environment at school...

And yes thats why i love MQ transport is so convenient and close from my home..

UNSW is way too far =.= i could imagine the traffic on peak hrs also especially in that area.. I remember it was hell... lols. as omnipotent said above^^ (cool name btw)

but yes i think law will suit me very well XD, and i may adapt to it easier since im more of a writer and i do mainly humanities (ancient history, economics, business studies)..

but yeah im defs not a science person and mathematics... I've considered doing law since prelims :) and yeah thought of the decision alot.. just need the atar now haha

sprog

HSC
Notre Dame - 90, I go to Notre Dame and the law school is great with an up and coming reputation. Since you come from a small regional school, this university will probably suit you best as it has very small class sizes. One of my law lectures has 18 people
Pfffff.

Maybe if you want Jesus sitting next to you in a lecture room.

HSC
The University of Newcastle's cut-off for Law was 90 last year, and 92 point something for the year before that.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
o_O?? WAT did you reject the offer from MQ??

wat is UNDA btw??
To enoilgam: This is a very good question - why reject a csp in favour of a full fee-paying place @ an institution that hardly anyone has ever heard of? Please believe me, I mean no malice or smugness by this question, I'm just really intrigued - there isn't even a tertiary forum for UNDA on bos so it is an extremely difficult institution to seek out feedback from current/past students.

izzy88

HSC
To enoilgam: This is a very good question - why reject a csp in favour of a full fee-paying place @ an institution that hardly anyone has ever heard of? Please believe me, I mean no malice or smugness by this question, I'm just really intrigued - there isn't even a tertiary forum for UNDA on bos so it is an extremely difficult institution to seek out feedback from current/past students.
UNDA's law school is very new - i'm pretty sure its first law year will only be graduating this year (that's how new it is).

However i don't think all spots at UNDA are full fee paying, i'm pretty sure there are some CSP places available (although not sure if available in law, perhaps only certain degrees).

From what i've heard, UNDA benefits from having really small class sizes, and emphasis on practical stuff, as well as trying to get lots of good lecturers/lawyers because its trying to build up its reputation. Saying that, because it is so new, I'm not sure anyone can really judge how the law firms will view graduates from UNDA in comparison to other universities, new terrain etc.

Edit: yep law school started in sydney in 2006. Also, one benefit (if you want to skip a degree) is that they offer a 4 yr straight law degree (rather than a 5 year combined).

enoilgam

HSC
I took the place at UNDA because the course is very practical and due to the small class sizes. Also, I had heard good things about the degree from people I knew and in general (it has a 5 star rating from the good universities guide). Travel was another reason I went with UNDA over MQ (to UNDA it takes me 30 minutes, whilst MQ would have taken up to an hour and 15 minutes). Lastly, I didnt go to MQ because the law school there doesnt have a good reputation (people say its way too theoretical and poorly managed).

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
I took the place at UNDA because the course is very practical and due to the small class sizes. Also, I had heard good things about the degree from people I knew and in general (it has a 5 star rating from the good universities guide). Travel was another reason I went with UNDA over MQ (to UNDA it takes me 30 minutes, whilst MQ would have taken up to an hour and 15 minutes). Lastly, I didnt go to MQ because the law school there doesnt have a good reputation (people say its way too theoretical and poorly managed).
Where do you live? There is a very direct rail line to UOW, the required ATAR is the same (90), they offer early entry & there is a non-comb UG LLB degree of 4 yrs. I must admit that I have little time for the GUG as it is a commercial concern so .... though I hate to be that cynical. Actually, UOW also has a 5 star rating in the guide - one reason I felt inclined toward it when my son was only in yr 10. His uni choice, as it turned out, was purely academic though (if you'll excuse the pun) as UNSW is the only uni in Sydney (if not Australia) that offers his degree and was specifically set up to feed a global need (B Eng - Photovoltaics & Solar Energy). He is doing it as a combined degree (with a BSc major in Physics).

enoilgam

HSC
Where do you live? There is a very direct rail line to UOW, the required ATAR is the same (90), they offer early entry & there is a non-comb UG LLB degree of 4 yrs. I must admit that I have little time for the GUG as it is a commercial concern so .... though I hate to be that cynical. Actually, UOW also has a 5 star rating in the guide - one reason I felt inclined toward it when my son was only in yr 10. His uni choice, as it turned out, was purely academic though (if you'll excuse the pun) as UNSW is the only uni in Sydney (if not Australia) that offers his degree and was specifically set up to feed a global need (B Eng - Photovoltaics & Solar Energy). He is doing it as a combined degree (with a BSc major in Physics).
I live in the St George area, so for me Broadway is very close and easily accessable via public transport. I didnt really look at the gug last year, it just corroborated what I heard from people I knew who went there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)