Getting into Sefton or Hurlstone!! What are the chances! (1 Viewer)

1stReader

HSC
N/A
I am currently year 8 in a partially selective school.
Half yearly report: English 83/100, Mathematics 90/100, Science 88/100, Geography 83/100, History 92/100, Technology 77/100, Music 87/100, Visual Arts 84/100 and PDHPE 77/100.

Year 7 Final report: English 93/100, Mathematic 90/100, Science 76/100, Geography 91/100, History 86/100, Technology 79/100, Technology mandatory 94/100, Music 96/100, Visual Arts 91/100, PDHPE 82/100

Year 8 Mid Course Report: English 83/100, Mathematics 99/100, Science 76/100, Geography 91/100, History 91/100, Language 84/100, Technology Mandatory 81/100, Music 97/100, Visual Arts 87/100, PDHPE 78/100

Awards that I received.
-Gold Award for NSW Premier's Sporting Challenge.
-2010 Premier's Reading Challenge.
-Fairfield/Horsley District Debating 2012.
-Certificate of Recognition.
-Certificate of Participation in the South Western Region Stage Right Primary Drama Camp.
-Performing Arts Award 2012 Debating.
-2012 Premier's Debating Challenge for Years 5 and 6.
-2011 NSW Premier's Reading Challenge.
-PSSA Boys Basketball Award.
-School Bronze, Silver, Gold and Blue award (Blue is the high award you can get).
-2 x Outstanding achievement in all learning areas.
Year 7 Australian Maths Comp: Credit top 38%
Year 8 Australian Maths Comp: Distinction top 7%
2014 Australian History Comp: High Distinction top 5%
2014 Australian Geography Comp: High Distinction top 5%
Australian Science Comp: High Distinction top 5%
-2 Outstanding Academic Achievement Geography, year 7 and 8.

Trophies

-Came 3rd in Kindergarten. (Chinese)
-Came 2nd place for final examination of Term 2. (Chinese)
-Came 1st for final examination of Term 4. (Chinese)
-Won the 2012 Moon festival Drawing Competition. (Chinese)
-2nd Place in Debating in 2012 (School)
-Came 1st for year 4 (Chinese)

Badgers
-Bronze, Silver, Gold and Blue Badgers.
-House Captain

Medals
-2008 Academic Excellence in all key learning areas.
-2010 Academic Excellence in all key learning areas.
-Debating 2012

Year 7 I tried to get into Hurlstone but failed ranked 51/157
year 8 tried again, reserve top 10. Did not get offers yet but waiting.

Thank you very much!!

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
Try again, you have a great chance :) a lot of my friends got into hurlstone from a public high school with nowhere near as many achievements as you so yeah, stay positive!

1stReader

HSC
N/A
Try again, you have a great chance :) a lot of my friends got into hurlstone from a public high school with nowhere near as many achievements as you so yeah, stay positive!
Thank you!! Still waiting for the offer!! :D

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You've got a pretty fair chance of making it in.

Good luck :p

sleepyair

HSC
Keep in mind that it is compulsory to study Agriculture at Hurlstone now. Also that if you make it into Sefton, you might have to do Standard English if you don't pass a certain benchmark (test at end of Year 10?, not sure).

I think you have a fair chance as well, just revise science.

1stReader

HSC
N/A
Why not try for a better school
Well my reports are not astounding but I tend to find the maths easy, english- normal, science - easy and agriculture- hard for the hurlstone exam. The other high schools such as fort street, sydney boys, james ruse are too competitive I wouldnt even stand a chance with this application.

Last edited:

rawrliongirl

HSC
hi,
I tried for Sefton last year (to get in for year 11) and they said they often don't have spots available and I didn't get in (even with a pretty decent report and tons of extra curricula's).
I was going to try for Hurlstone but decided against it at the last minute so soz, but I can't help you there.
GL.
bye.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I agree with selinaxo. I know a lot of students that had a mediocre report who didn't include a lot of extracurricular activities that got into selective schools. I wish you luck!
wow....i must really be a failure then, cos my report had a lot of good results and I had a lot of extracurriculars but still didn't make it to any schools I applied for.

sleepyair

HSC
Oh I should also tell you that I made it in Year 10 at Hurlstone with a Year 9 Yearly report consisting of 1 A (maths), 1 C (English), rest Bs. I also had near to none extra-curricular, had a handful of Mathematics awards (Credits and Distinctions) and Computer Skills stuff, but that was it.

I remember the principal straight up asking me if I led any leadership roles at Sefton, I said no and just left it there to float in the awkward silence LOL. Bad answer, thought I was screwed but I still made it in.

My point is ace the test, and then show that you have a life outside your study (which you do - looking at your awesome achievements).

1stReader

HSC
N/A
Oh I should also tell you that I made it in Year 10 at Hurlstone with a Year 9 Yearly report consisting of 1 A (maths), 1 C (English), rest Bs. I also had near to none extra-curricular, had a handful of Mathematics awards (Credits and Distinctions) and Computer Skills stuff, but that was it.

I remember the principal straight up asking me if I led any leadership roles at Sefton, I said no and just left it there to float in the awkward silence LOL. Bad answer, thought I was screwed but I still made it in.

My point is ace the test, and then show that you have a life outside your study (which you do - looking at your awesome achievements).
Nice. The thing is that Hurlstone right now is kinda overloaded with students.They only take 3 this year. And the exam section for agriculture was a let down for my ranking only got in for priority reserve list. But my ranking have been improving each year I tried, from 51-top 10. Kinda happy about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)