Girl, 12, 'approved for sex change' (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
A 12-year-old Australian girl has been allowed to begin the first phase of a sex change after a judge decided it was in the best interests of the child, reports say.

The unnamed girl has begun hormone treatment to block puberty after the family court judge accepted an application from her mother for her to begin to reassign her gender, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

The judge said that while the initial treatment was reversible, it needed to be seen as the first step in a process which, if continued, would allow the child to live as a male.

"In my view, and on all the evidence, the treatment is in his (the child's) best interests," the judgement said.

During a hearing in December, the court heard that the 12-year-old had thought of herself as a boy since the age of four.

Several medical experts, including a psychiatrist, backed the sex-change application, as did an independent lawyer for the child and a family counsellor.

However, the child's father could not accept that the girl had always seen herself as a boy and opposed the sex-change decision in part because of her young age, the court was told.

But the court said it needed to act quickly to prevent the onset of puberty as the girl dreaded the prospect of menstruation and developing breasts.

Further court applications must be made at a later stage if the child wants to take the process further and deepen her voice or develop facial hair.

Surgery to remove the womb and ovaries or build a penis cannot be done before the age of 18.

The court ruled that the 12-year-old can now apply for a new birth certificate and passport in a boy's name.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=569022

omg.

boris

Banned
HSC
yeah ok whatever, i dont care anymore :(

kokodamonkey

HSC
that's just wrong. Shame on the mum, the lawyer representing the child etc etc

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
kokodamonkey said:
that's just wrong. Shame on the mum, the lawyer representing the child etc etc
All of those experts agreed it was the right thing to do ... but you've almost finished a semester at uni, so you must know best, right?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
darkliight said:
All of those experts agreed it was the right thing to do ... but you've almost finished a semester at uni, so you must know best, right?
+ 1.

I love how people go apeshit automatically when kids and sexuality are mentioned in the same article. Never mind how the kid herself might feel. Oh, wait, we don't need to mind how the kid feels because her brain isn't developed enough to make her opinon about herself worth anything, right guys? Right?

Jesus. Think before you post, people. :/

HSC
respect peoples decisions. 90% of judgements made in this society are about situations that do not affect the person who makes them.

a person can only tell how they feel.
and you cannot deny them that.

you wouldnt tell a child who says:
"im hungry, i want food"
"you dont know that, your mind isnt developed yet."

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
-pari- said:
I notice that the people in this thread who are against it have not given any reason. Care to explain why you find it so wrong? Remember we are talking about someone's life here. For them, it is very personal. Don't disrespect their wishes regarding how they want to live their life by reducing the issue to mere moral outrage. The only fucked up thing would be if she was told "No, you can't decide what you want, you're too young, it's wrong." Should she have to live a life of misery because oooh dear, a sex change, how taboo. No.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It's certainly not a decision to be taken lightly, but I definitely feel that there are cases where this kind of decision is appropriate. I'm impressed that the judge had the courage to make such a ruling.

U

Ubik

Gender reassignment has the best outcomes the earlier it is done. In this case it will prevent the need for extensive surgery later in life.

Male to female pretty much has to happen before puberty to be effective, since the effects of testosterone are permanent.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Its only hormones, its not like they are scooping out her uterus or anything permanent like that. With sex changes, if you can start hormone treatment at an early age you will be much much more feminine/ masculine than if you decided to make that change as an adult. They do it overseas all the time, and if the kid has been indentifying herself as a boy for 8 years i see no problem in allowing her to make the change she wants.

spinit7

HSC
its interesting how a 12 year-old wants something like this...

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
boris said:
Well, if what this cousin is saying is true, then we have a problem, obviously. We have no way of knowing, though, whether the cousin themselves is saying this as part of the family feud (i.e. lying) or whether the allegations are true, so I guess until we know either way I'm sticking to my belief that the judge has made the right decision. If it does turn out she was 'brainwashed', I'll retract that statement.

This pissed me off as well:
"This was the option presented to her and it was so easy to say yes.

"If I felt the girl was capable of consenting to this I would say fine."

For fucks' sake. Easy? Are you kidding? and as for "if I felt the girl was capable of consenting..." fuck off. Christ.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Well, if what this cousin is saying is true, then we have a problem, obviously. We have no way of knowing, though, whether the cousin themselves is saying this as part of the family feud (i.e. lying) or whether the allegations are true, so I guess until we know either way I'm sticking to my belief that the judge has made the right decision. If it does turn out she was 'brainwashed', I'll retract that statement.

This pissed me off as well:
"This was the option presented to her and it was so easy to say yes.

"If I felt the girl was capable of consenting to this I would say fine."

For fucks' sake. Easy? Are you kidding? and as for "if I felt the girl was capable of consenting..." fuck off. Christ.
It's amazing that this 12-year was able to convince so many people otherwise. It's also amazing that the cousin has come forward with this a tidy 6 months after the court case. Obviously what the cousin says should be looked into very carefully, but with quotes like "I just don't think it is right. The court affidavits only present the mother's point of view in everything." I don't think they'll turn up too much.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
^omfg. Please STFU.

there is fucking problem with people who use shit like "freedom, democracy, individualism" etc every time someone questions something is wrong with our society.

so STFU, and listen carefully your thick headed wanker.

if you think there is nothing wrong with what is happening to this girl you need to be institutionalized ASAP.

lol, one that harbors freedom.....what a joke. srsly what a fucking joke. we have lost more civil liberties in this century because of thick headed fucking idiots like you who havnt got the guts to question what is going on.
infact people like you probably watch CNN, BBC, FOX news day in daay out .....and prbably believe "our freedom is under attack"

im sick of idiots like you.

lol, "one where we foster freedom". what a reason to justify what is happening to this girl. LOL. FREEDOM? get off your high horse and think for yourself once you tool.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)