Giving up Facebook for Year 12 (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Why don't you use facebook to help your learning? Sharing resources is a fantastic way of improving your whole cohort.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
There is not point giving up facebook. Moderation and controlling is the best thing

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Do you do economics? The law of diminishing returns is extremely relevant with studying, unless you really need some crazy high ATAR for a course it's not even worth thinking about cutting out stuff in year 12 just so you can study more. Just study when you can and want to, and if your marks/ranks aren't good enough then stop being lazy! If you really are studying whenever you can and still aren't getting good enough marks then it's time to start sacrificing stuff. If you spend hours a day on fb then just deactivate around exams like a lot of people do - even though you'll just end up procrastinating elsewhere.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
But I don't go on facebook. in my opinion I found it a bit boring, so I just used emails

HSC
Uni Grad
Self control.

But yeah, I deactivated it for the HSC because I actually felt that I was desperately in need to boost my marks so that I could get into the course I wanted to.

Thing is, only deactivate it if necessary, otherwise, practice controlling yourself; it'll be a good technique (Y)

HSC
It doesnt work at all..unless you have strong will power ahahaha!
in August I told myself to not go on Facebook for the 2 months leading up to HSC..After one month (big achievement whoo) it failed
I agree with the others and just find a balance :)

kfnmpah

HSC
look the fact that you are posting on a student forum indicates that you will probably do well because atar is a rank and there are a lot of retards out there

i did not get off facebook for a second in year 12 and i still got 84 or something with very little effort so like just chill out bro and do whatever you want

yolo

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
look the fact that you are posting on a student forum indicates that you will probably do well because atar is a rank and there are a lot of retards out there

i did not get off facebook for a second in year 12 and i still got 84 or something with very little effort so like just chill out bro and do whatever you want

yolo
you got 84? i thought you got at least 90

the things you learn

ali-fc

HSC
lol i know someone who got 96 and still went on fb and stuff u just got to control yourself

2xL

HSC
lol i know someone who got 96 and still went on fb and stuff u just got to control yourself
Heaps of people I know got 98+ and they had fb and everything; just try and avoid the obsession with fb (personally I don't see it but meh).

Eg155

HSC
I'm definitely deactivating by the end of the holidays, I also gave up my job.

I want, and need, quite a high ATAR and with my school ranking I need to work really hard.
However, I will do other things to keep a balance but not as much as this year.

I will continue with piano and drawing, writing and doing the Duke of Ed work. Don't need to spend my time caring about who is in a relationship with how and what everyone else in my grade is doing, I know what I'll be doing: studying.

SuperHornet

HSC
If your worried about not completing work and procrastinating on Facebook, ill suggest 'Cold Turkey' which can be downloaded and times can be set that disable your access to a website.

HSC
I used to use StayFocusd on Chrome and that just weaned me off facebook. It was good because on my computer, both FireFox and IE failed to meet the speed of Chrome.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a few people from James Ruse in past years that played games (Counter-Strike, DotA etc) and got over 99 ATAR.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Deactivating a week before HSC exams, helped me a lot to memorise my four English essays I must say.

But during my HSC years, I had a lot of self control, so I didn't need to deactivate it for the entire time, although a knew a friend that did. Depends on whatever suits you. Whatever makes you study and sleep at night.

Deactivating is really good for taking you attention away from all of the useless notifications which become a vicious cycle. But it can get tough, especially when you need to communicate about assignments/exams or your friends host an event, and don't invite you. That can get annoying.

From personal experience, deactivate when exam blocks come up, and have self control for all other times.

*Also change your password to something really long and complex, so you won't be bothered to enter it in so easily. (delete any cookies you may have on any browsers - you can use ccleaner to do this the quick way, and then log out).

*Uninstall Mobile FB apps, to make it less tempting.

*And use this site (Bored of Studies) as a substitute, if you ever feel that you need to break out to the public world. It's a much more study focused environment than Facebook, and deviates you away from the social distractions of FB.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)