Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
I thought this might be a little interesting. :)

All the "car experts" on the forum will gather round to try to answer your questions as best as possible regarding anything car related. Well, I will anyway.

Is there something you just don't get? Or a little blurry?
Want to know how turbos work? Or how to change your oil?
The best seat covers for your car? Hubcaps?
The reason for blow off valves? How much a sports exhaust will cost you?
Why your engine is making a weird ticking noise?

......................???

The list of possible questions is endless. Fire away. I'll be more than happy to help anyone out. :)

Here are the team of "experts" who will try to help out:

Me
DaddyK
braad
loquasagacious (formerly addymac)

redslert
w1ck3ed c10wn
cyrax83
bong

People are added to this list that I feel have had a helpful input to this thread. I'll only take you off if you haven't helped out in a while. :p

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
my car wont work...

oh no, sorry, i misplaced my keys and the knife didnt work :)

thank mate :uhhuh:

hehehehe

SlipStream

HSC
Mumma said:
What is a drift
Well, Mumma, I'm going to assume you're being serious so I'll answer your question.

WHAT IS IT?
Drifting is a driving method. It is only possible in rear wheel or high powered all wheel drive cars. It involves applying excessive acceleration when in the middle of a corner, causing the forces of inertia to make the rear end of the car swing out and try and go faster than the front. This tendency can be counterbalanced by making corrections with the steering wheel, basically pointing it in the direction you wish to go when your car is sideways.

So, your rear wheels are spinning, your car is sideways and your front wheels are turning into the drift. With enough experience and skill, you, my friend, have a drift.

HOW'S IT DONE?
[Disclaimer: Don't try this! If you haven't done this before, you will crash and will probably hurt yourself badly and cause a lot of damage to your car. Keep your practice or experimenting to racetracks. I do in no way claim responsibility for anything arising from the following descriptions.]

I should probably keep this to myself, but the method I use is using the bodyroll and inertia of the car to help break traction, as well as popping the clutch once or twice and then the rear should swing out. Or, you could simply enter a corner and flatten the acceleration, but that can risk your engine going ka-boom. So I enter a corner, keep in the torque range of the revs, steer slightly towards the outside of the corner then quickly cut back towards the inside and pop the clutch once or twice. Then as the rear steps out, countersteer in the direction you want to go and balance the revs with the steering and traction. But this takes a lot of practice, and I have spun three times trying to master it - on one occasion narrowily missing a curb.

SOME FACTS ABOUT DRIFTING!
- not possible in front wheel drive cars. When a front wheel drive car gets sideways, this is oversteer, not drifting.
- drifting is in essence oversteer, but more correctly a power-on oversteer. The terms vary enormously, although "drift" is becoming more widely accepted. Other names such as powerslide, sideways, etc are also used.
- most commonly performed on bitumen, although more dangerously it is done by rally car drivers to take corners with greater speed on dirt/gravel.
- drifting is a motorsport. There is a championship series that tours America and Japan called the D1 Championship and is growing in popularity. In the US, there is even a drift-spec Pontiac GTO, aka the Holden Monaro (see below).
- drifting is extremely hard to master and requires enormous skill. To get to the skill levels of D1, you must undertake somewhat of a trial and error teaching regime. Everyone who has ever drifted has crashed - they just never tell you that bit. Therefore, drifting is extremely dangerous and many P-platers wrap themselves around powerpoles while trying to drift.
- The most revered drift car of all time is the Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex. It doesn't look like much but its combination of rear wheel drive, limited slip diff, 50:50 weight balance and perfect wheelbase (not to mention budget price in Japan) make it a formidable drift weapon.

PICTURES

This is the drift-spec Pontiac GTO, or the Holden Monaro as we know it. The picture is taken mid drift. Notice the rear wheels spinning, the car is sideways and the front wheels have been steered into the drift.

This is your typical qualifying session at a D1 event, although the below picture looks to be more of an amateur event.

This is another form of drift motorsport: the Drift Battle where two to four cars go head to head on a racetrack or a skid pan marked with witch's hats. Exciting to watch!

Here it is: the revered AE86 Sprinter. Available in Australia only through grey importers and at around $10 to $15000.

Here is your common Japanese street drifting scene.

USEFUL LINKS! Want to know more?
The D1 Championship website: click here
"Drifting Explained" A short overview: click here
Drift in Australia: click here

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Actually to be specific what you described is a powerslide, actual drifting is when you link 2 or more corners together, but meh, i doubt theres any one on here who really cares that much.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
DaddyK said:
Actually to be specific what you described is a powerslide, actual drifting is when you link 2 or more corners together, but meh, i doubt theres any one on here who really cares that much.
eh no.

drifting is drifting...you don't have to count corners

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Hey thanks for the info on drifting :) but why would they make a car such as the AE86 Sprinter, wouldn't it just be encouraging ordinary people to do drifting on the roads (i.e. where it's illegal and dangerous)?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Oh btw, I have a couple of questions:
- What would be the best size wheels to put on my 93 corolla? With low profile tyres, I'm thinking 16 inch?
- Can I get decent sound in my car if I just get new rear speakers, and leave the front ones?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
yenta said:
Hey thanks for the info on drifting :) but why would they make a car such as the AE86 Sprinter, wouldn't it just be encouraging ordinary people to do drifting on the roads (i.e. where it's illegal and dangerous)?
the AE86 wasn't designed to be a drifting car, it just so happens that with RWD and all that it is good for it
also with the cartoon show initial D making it popular

SlipStream

HSC
Argonaut said:
Thank you, Mr. Know-It-All-SlipStream.
Argonaut, are you being sarcastic? It looks so much like I cut and pasted all that from a site, but I assure you it is from me! I'm the kind of person who writes it for the websites. If you want me to stop helping people, well I'm sorry - I like helping people out! Do you have any Qs yourself, by the way?

yenta, if you don't mind I'll have to answer your Q's this afternoon. I'm at school right now and havin to constantly check over shoulder for stinky science teacher!

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
redslert said:
the AE86 wasn't designed to be a drifting car, it just so happens that with RWD and all that it is good for it
Actually your partly wrong, first of all, drifting is when you link 2 or more corners together, not just 1 power slide. And the AE86 corolla makes a good drift car because A. its cheap, cheap to modify and get parts for. B. its light weight, great steering abilities, and of course as you stated, is RWD, they are all major factors that make it a good drift car.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
redslert said:
oic, I just thought it was a little "convenient" that that car is a good car to drift in (and anyone can get one)

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
It's like me saying the sky is blue, then you coming along and saying "actually, today it is a very light shade of turquoise". There are levels of detail that people just don't care about - especially when learning. Of course, I could have gone into detail on some stupid area on why the tyres are breaking traction with the bitumen, but frankly it is unnecessary and downright borrrrrrrring. ;) When explaining, it is integral to keep to the basics or people will get lost big time.

1 + 1 comes way before 10.2433 x 16.978, if you understand where I'm coming from. But that's okay DaddyK, I value your contribution to this thread. No, seriously.

yenta said:
but why would they make a car such as the AE86 Sprinter, wouldn't it just be encouraging ordinary people to do drifting on the roads (i.e. where it's illegal and dangerous)?
Simple. The AE86 wasn't designed for drifting, no way. By coincidence, it has the chassis, drivetrain and concept that makes it uncannily perfect for such applications as drifting. The Hachiroku, as the Japanese call the AE86 Trueno, is even raced in a class of its own (not a drift class) and it is great to watch. Some of those cars redline at 10 grand!

yenta said:
Oh btw, I have a couple of questions:
- What would be the best size wheels to put on my 93 corolla? With low profile tyres, I'm thinking 16 inch?
- Can I get decent sound in my car if I just get new rear speakers, and leave the front ones?
Ok first answer: you could probably fit 17s on your car all right but you'd probably draw the line there. Otherwise, you'd have problems with 18s rubbing on the guards and hitting the underside of the guards over bumps and stuff (if you choose to lower it as well which goes hand in hand with getting bigger wheels). The bigger the wheels you get, obviously the more costlier it gets.

16s? Yeh they're cheaper but sometimes (well for me) 16s just don't float my boat. I'd go the extra hog and get the 17s just because they're like the bottomline for street cred and visual effect. But it's your money in the end.

Second answer: are the front ones stockies? If so, I'd rather keep the stock rears and put some decent ones in the front because hey, you don't drive from the backseat! Why give all the goodies to the empty backseat?? :p

DaddyK said:
Yenta there are other cars that are just as good for drifting, etc, the nissan 180 sx, 200 sx, silvia's, toyota gazelles and so on.
Toyota Gazelles, eh? :p That's a new one! I might cruise down to coles in my Ferrari Charade! Or grab mum's BMW Pajero! Hahaha! :p Just stirrin, old mate. :) I think, everyone, what he meant was a Nissan Gazelle. ;)

AtticusFinch said:
can i put nos onto my petrol skooter?
Well, yeh you can. Any internal combustion engine can take n2o. NOS (the brand - nitrous oxide as it is really called, also known as laughing gas and N2O - two nitrogen atoms and one oxygen held together by a chemical bond) effectively increases the oxygen intake to the cylinders, providing a forced induction effect (kinda like turbo or supercharging). When under the superheated conditions of a cylinder, the chemical bond is broken and provides the engine with more oxygen in which fuel can burn. The more oxygen you can cram into a cylinder, the better (this is the principle of turbo and supercharging, and n2o). n2o contains a higher density of oxygen than regular atmospheric air.

Is everybody learning?? :p

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
SlipStream said:
Second answer: are the front ones stockies? If so, I'd rather keep the stock rears and put some decent ones in the front because hey, you don't drive from the backseat! Why give all the goodies to the empty backseat?? :p
Ok, fair enough, but aren't the back ones more powerful (they're 6x9s, fronts are a lot smaller) hence out of the overall sound, more would come from the back? Or am I just confused? I talked to a guy at strathfield car radios and he said just get the 6x9s and it would give good overall sound.

P.S. yes all the speakers in there currently are stock

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
natstar said:
Yes what is the ticking noise some engines make?
Unless its a different ticking noise than i am thinking of, then its the timing belt? (i think thats what its called.) You have to replace it after about 100 000km because my car had that noise and after the belt was replaced, it went away. Now its nice and quiet when at traffic lights :0)

SlipStream

HSC
natstar said:
Yes what is the ticking noise some engines make?
It's a bomb. lol not really. :p

Firstly, if you are to understand anything I am saying, take a look at this.

It could be a few things. Air could be getting inbetween the cam lobes and the tappets/followers causing the noise. The cam lobes could be sticking periodically to the tappets or lifters on contact, making a short "tick tick tick" noise in no particular sequence. It happens on about 1/3 of cold cars, and goes away once warm (which is normal). But on some cars it happens continuosly which is a cause for concern, and suggests any previous owners of the car or even one's self has been neglecting to service the engine often enough (or in some cases, at all). If so, refer to a mechanic for perhaps costly repairs.

It could mean a build up of sludge, which is simple to fix. Go down to the closest Supercheap, buy some "Nulon Engine Oil Flush" and put it in the oil filler hole. Idle the engine for about 10 minutes, turn off then replace the oil and oil filter. If over a few days that doesn't work, put in some "Nulon Lifter Free Up" which should fix the problem.

Or, it could mean that your valves are not adjusted correctly. Have them adjusted by an able friend or a mechanic. Or, as *~Dazed~* pointed out, your timing belt could have shat itself. Most clicking noises are, however, valvetrain related.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
most of the time ticking sound is from the timing belt, what happens is that after a while the timing belt which is rubber becomes stretched and loose, most cars do have retention systems which adjusts for such problems, but are limited to certain extent. So after a period of time, when a car gets it's major service, the timing belt is changed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)