Gotta Love Skrzynecki, ideas for related texts? (1 Viewer)

KyleFinlayson1997

HSC
So I have taken numerous notes on the Skrzynecki poems I have studied and even gone an extra mile and studied a few extra just to get an idea of Skrzynecki's real feelings as a migrant struggling to belong, caught between two worlds. So I've been tasked with finding and comparing a related text to two poems of my choice, still undecided as well although I'm thinking Feliks Skrzynecki and In the Folk Museum would be the best choices as they both have strong links to "not belonging."

Some ideas I've had have been Pan's Labyrinth, Kite Runner, Always a Visitor (which would probably be brilliant for this task but I simply cannot get my hands on a copy) and last of all, don't laugh, Grand Theft Auto IV. Although I really doubt I'd ever use a video game, especially one like GTA, you can't help but wonder if there are enough identifiable techniques to compare Niko's journey as a migrant to Skrzynecki's journey, even though there are a lot of blatant differences. But that's beside the point, I'm wondering if any of the ideas I have are worth looking into or if anyone has any tips.

Any help would be appreciated.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So I have taken numerous notes on the Skrzynecki poems I have studied and even gone an extra mile and studied a few extra just to get an idea of Skrzynecki's real feelings as a migrant struggling to belong, caught between two worlds. So I've been tasked with finding and comparing a related text to two poems of my choice, still undecided as well although I'm thinking Feliks Skrzynecki and In the Folk Museum would be the best choices as they both have strong links to "not belonging."

Some ideas I've had have been Pan's Labyrinth, Kite Runner, Always a Visitor (which would probably be brilliant for this task but I simply cannot get my hands on a copy) and last of all, don't laugh, Grand Theft Auto IV. Although I really doubt I'd ever use a video game, especially one like GTA, you can't help but wonder if there are enough identifiable techniques to compare Niko's journey as a migrant to Skrzynecki's journey, even though there are a lot of blatant differences. But that's beside the point, I'm wondering if any of the ideas I have are worth looking into or if anyone has any tips.

Any help would be appreciated.
perf

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
My Extension 1 unit was Crime Fiction. So my two supplementary texts were Deus Ex (yep, the original) and a Doctor Who episode. 94/100 for final result and top of school in trials.

In my first year of university, I had a final exam on postmodernism in media. I referred extensively to World War Z (book, the movie was still in production) and Fallout 3. In my last year of university, I had a final exam on literary theory, specifically the impacts of duplication and adaptation on textual integrity. I used as my core case study Half-Life and Black Mesa Source. High Distinctions for both units, one of which I was barely passing prior to the exam.

You have no idea the sheer power trip that comes from getting top exam results by discussing the metaphorical and allegorical implications of a freaking HEADCRAB. Let alone a detailed analysis of the film noir traits that inhabit the cyberpunk world of JC Denton. I got so euphoric I almost spilled my drink.

So please, please use GTA 4. You will have so much fun doing the analysis that your results will be far better than picking one of the other weary boring options (which pretty much everyone else does - I speak for the first two, having myself used Pan's for Journeys).

Reactions: QZP

mreditor16

HSC
Guys, is Pan's labyrinth overdone? doing it as one of my relateds for belonging if they ask for two relateds in essay. won't use it for an essay that asks for one related though. :)

mreditor16

HSC
Yeah I was going to do it but my English teacher (back when I had a legit English teacher, lol) told me not to make it my main related because its pretty popular for other texts e.g. Skrzynecki. But it ties in well with Romulus My Father and if its your supplementary related and its analysed thoroughly enough, then it shouldn't be a problem at all :)

In response to OP, please don't to Kite Runner lol, every forum I see has Kite Runner on it and it looks very overdone haha. Also would probably not be the best idea to do a video game just in case the marker is biased and has some kind of stigma attached to it, but then again if you analyse it thoroughly they can't penalise you.

One good text that comes to mind is Paul Keating's "Redfern Speech" :) idk because I'm not doing Skrzynecki, but I have read his poetry and I reckon it ties in pretty well, maybe you could check it out haha
isn't that keating speech in mod b?? :/

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I did the novel by Chinua Achebe called "Things Fall Apart" and the film The Pianist. It depends on what type of related text you are strong in analysing/prefer to analyse. But it is a good idea to look out for both belonging and not belonging ideas-because talking about the dichotomy of belonging is a characteristic of the strongest English essays.

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
I did the novel by Chinua Achebe called "Things Fall Apart" and the film The Pianist. It depends on what type of related text you are strong in analysing/prefer to analyse. But it is a good idea to look out for both belonging and not belonging ideas-because talking about the dichotomy of belonging is a characteristic of the strongest English essays.
Guys, is Pan's labyrinth overdone? doing it as one of my relateds for belonging if they ask for two relateds in essay. won't use it for an essay that asks for one related though. :)
Pan's is overdone but you can still do well with it. I used Pan's for Journeys (along with about a third of my cohort apparently) and it was fine - you just need to analyse it well, that's all. Which you should try to do for everything anyway.

As another example, I'm pretty sure The Pianist is overdone but that shouldn't stop you if you have a compelling - or, even better, unique/unusual - case for it.

Ultimately you just need to pick something that you feel comfortable analysing well. I mean seriously if I could've done Pacific Rim for Journeys/Belonging I would've been all over that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)