Grammatical Mistakes in Novels (1 Viewer)

terminator69

HSC
I always thought these would very rarely exist, but I seem to run into them occasionally. Could books be printed with errors because sometimes books are written and published quickly and there isn't enough time for all the errors to be located/removed? Or perhaps publishers are aware of the errors but don't want to correct the mistakes (or aren't allowed to) as this was not how the artist originally intended their work to be viewed? Or maybe mistakes are added on purpose?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It could just simply be an oversight. If you're proofreading a 400 page document, an error or two is bound to surface.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
There was one in Harry Potter, at the beginning of one of the chapters (can't remember which book though)

they said "your" instead of "you're"

Sadiah

HSC
There was one in Harry Potter, at the beginning of one of the chapters (can't remember which book though)

You're catchy :p

But the way JKR writes is amazing. She makes something totallyy illogical and supernaturally stupid sound REAL via words, hence making her novels unsurpassed.

Unlike, Stephanie Meyer.

HSC
Uni Grad
I generally don't notice spelling mistakes (except the your/you're, there/their/they're and its/it's) cos my head seems to auto correct stuff, kinda shit when doing assessments and stuff when I have to read it like 5 times to find a mistake.

terminator69

HSC
It could just simply be an oversight. If you're proofreading a 400 page document, an error or two is bound to surface.
Yeah, but wouldn't there be many people proofreading it several times? Including people that are paid to do it?

Bereie

HSC

You used the plural pronoun 'They', what is the antecedent to which it is referring?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, but wouldn't there be many people proofreading it several times? Including people that are paid to do it?
It depends on the size, and publishing of the novel, as to how many would proofread it. And there would be a professional proofreader. However, even a professional is only human, and mistakes can happen.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You used the plural pronoun 'They', what is the antecedent to which it is referring?
I assuming she was inferring to everyone involved in creating the text, both the author, and those that let the mistake get through.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
When I attempted to read the Uglies series, the second book had so many sentences that didn't make sense it made me stop reading it

stupid book anyway

Bereie

HSC
I assuming she was inferring to everyone involved in creating the text, both the author, and those that let the mistake get through.
1. You missed the "to be" verb between 'I' and 'assuming'.
2. 'Inferring' doesn't really fit there, did you mean 'referring'?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
1) You missed the "to be" verb between 'I' and 'assuming'.
2) 'Inferring' doesn't really fit there, did you mean 'referring'
I don't always proof read my own posts before posting. It's only an internet forum. I don't really care. I spotted the mistakes after it had posted, and cbf editting it.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
There used to be a several thousand dollar reward for finding any mistake in any of the Lord of the Rings books....don't know if it's still on offer.

chevlr

HSC
1. You missed the "to be" verb between 'I' and 'assuming'.
2. 'Inferring' doesn't really fit there, did you mean 'referring'?
lol, you sound like the paperclip on microsoft word.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There used to be a several thousand dollar reward for finding any mistake in any of the Lord of the Rings books....don't know if it's still on offer.
Any mistakes in elvish would now be assimilated into the language. You'd want to hope he didn't put in any errors. :)

lol, you sound like the paperclip on microsoft word.
lol. Does anyone use the paperclip anymore?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)