Great Innovations in Gaming (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Anyone else admire a game for its innovative features that is likely to be (or is)copied by a million other games?

First thing that comes to mind is Final Fantasy 12's innovations regarding making turn-based strategies a little more fun. Aside from getting rid of the god-awful randomly generated enemies (although games had done it before ff12), the game let you sit back while the characters did the fighting, while you still took an active role in setting up quite complex conditional responses beforehand using the gambit system. The sytem got rid of a lot of repetitive options, while still being just as strategic.

Cell-shading is probably the next thing I can think of as a great innovative. It is done so often now that it is hard to remember a time without it. Turning 3d into flat comic-like graphics can be done badly, but more importantly it has added so much to some games in terms of style and character (mainly thinking of Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, but also the recent Prince of Persia looks great too).

Could only think of two things. anyone else care to add to the list?

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
three things

regenerative health. and to think, it took till halo for someone to figure it out

ditching the 'lives' thing. not being able to progress is punishment enough, lose all your lives however and you gotta start it all over again.

portal

MJ-47

HSC
any of those games that require reconnasiannse or sneaking (cant spell) e.g. hitman, splinter cell, theif , assasins creed ......are all aces in my book

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
regenerative health, ie. most shooters these days (halo sux).

experience points, ESPECIALLY WHEN U CAN CHOOSE WHERE THE EXPERIENCE GOES, like mario and luigi super stars, the bonus point thingo, and God of War, experience orbs (yea devil may cry has it too, but kratos shits all over dante).

the ability to hold only 2-3-4 guns, i mean, sure its cool holding a knife and a handgun and an assault rifle and a machine gun and a uzi and a flamethrower and a minigun and a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle and grenade launcher, but meh.

PLATFORMING ELEMENTS, meaning the recent 4 prince of persia games (sands of time trilogy and the cartoon network one that came out recently) and assassins creed.

hiding in shadows, like manhunt.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Knock out the enemy then recruit him/her to your side rather than kill him/her.

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.

MPO: Take prisoners comrades!
COD4: Take no prisoners comrades!

regenerative health, ie. most shooters these days (halo sux).

experience points, ESPECIALLY WHEN U CAN CHOOSE WHERE THE EXPERIENCE GOES, like mario and luigi super stars, the bonus point thingo, and God of War, experience orbs (yea devil may cry has it too, but kratos shits all over dante).

the ability to hold only 2-3-4 guns, i mean, sure its cool holding a knife and a handgun and an assault rifle and a machine gun and a uzi and a flamethrower and a minigun and a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle and grenade launcher, but meh.

PLATFORMING ELEMENTS, meaning the recent 4 prince of persia games (sands of time trilogy and the cartoon network one that came out recently) and assassins creed.

hiding in shadows, like manhunt.
lol

Only 1: COD4's total AWESOMENESS!
This.
and the LOLPERKS.

EDIT:

Anyone else admire a game for its innovative features that is likely to be (or is)copied by a million other games?

First thing that comes to mind is Final Fantasy 12's innovations regarding making turn-based strategies a little more fun. Aside from getting rid of the god-awful randomly generated enemies (although games had done it before ff12), the game let you sit back while the characters did the fighting, while you still took an active role in setting up quite complex conditional responses beforehand using the gambit system. The sytem got rid of a lot of repetitive options, while still being just as strategic.

Cell-shading is probably the next thing I can think of as a great innovative. It is done so often now that it is hard to remember a time without it. Turning 3d into flat comic-like graphics can be done badly, but more importantly it has added so much to some games in terms of style and character (mainly thinking of Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, but also the recent Prince of Persia looks great too).

Could only think of two things. anyone else care to add to the list?
oh yes, i care about final fantasy, hahaha.

any of those games that require reconnasiannse or sneaking (cant spell) e.g. hitman, splinter cell, theif , assasins creed ......are all aces in my book

What a cunt.

How could you leave out Metal Gear Solid?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)