• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

GREATEST GUITAR SOLO(s) (1 Viewer)

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i have listened to Malmsteens stuff, an alot of it sounds similar, i have a concert of him when he played with Alcatrazz an yeah he is fucking insane. but he is just a soloist. i think most of the time during that concert, he was just showing off an not playing with the band.
however Jimmy Page was everything for the band, he played with them, would write, produce an direct the band.
but for overall speed an shread i think malmsteen is insane.
but for overall preformance an playing with a band. Jimmy page is my fav.

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
bowman said:
i have listened to Malmsteens stuff, an alot of it sounds similar, i have a concert of him when he played with Alcatrazz an yeah he is fucking insane. but he is just a soloist. i think most of the time during that concert, he was just showing off an not playing with the band.
however Jimmy Page was everything for the band, he played with them, would write, produce an direct the band.
Malmsteens actually somewhat autistic, so go figure...

shimmerz_777

HSC
not only is jimmy pages solos great, u need to hear terry kath, from the stage band chicago. download a song 25 or 6 to 4 its pretty catchy and has a awesome solo, but its not ur typical metal song its quite jazzy, but none the less a good solo.

also how many ppl in this forum actually play guitar, i do my self and im just wondering

shimmerz_777

HSC
bowman said:

that is so true, wats ur favirot led zep songs/ solos?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i love the song
Over the Hills an Far away.
its my fav to play on guitar, an i think it's the best intro.
i love the whole Houses of the holy CD.
since i've been loving u. that is sex on guitar

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
ottmar liebert and santana have some good solo works aswell ... havent seen them mentined thus far ...

but all my other favs have already been mentioned g&r, lz, rhcp, jh, maiden etc ...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
bowman said:
Yeah, there is a definite feeling of virtuoso vs good solo i think.

Malmsteen does solos because he KNOWS he's that good. But he doesnt rate too highly in terms of feeling, it always sounds so clinical and cold rather than the emotion someone like hendrix, clapton, page or may could evoke using the guitar.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
yeah he is just playing the hardest possible shit he can play an show off
page plays with the emotion, and doesnt just play the hardest shit possible, he plays what he loves to, so do many others. thats the reason why i dont rate malmsteen very high

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
Felt an urge to post this just for that sake of the fact that it's mindbogglingly beautiful...

Yngwie Malmsteens...

iwannarock

HSC
ah Malmsteen. He's always brought up in these sorts of shred vs feel debates.

Malmsteen always seems like the easy target. I don't even really like malmsteen but some of the stuff said here is so typical. Passionless, no emotion, cold.

Malmsteen plays fast not because he thinks "im gonna get everybody to look at me because i play guitar so fast". The style of music he plays is fucking neo-classical. You think he could get away with having a lil pentatonic wank ala angus young? It would not fit the music at all. He plays the way he does cuz it fits the style of music perfectly.

Malmsteen doesn't come up with the runs he does with difficulty in mind. He's not thinking "how could i make this lick more difficult". Have you ever heard violin in classical music. Translated to guitar the note choice may seem unconventional or perhaps.........maybe even difficult to perform. Virtuoso violinists such as Paganni or whatever are Malmsteens greatest influences. He was the first to bring fiery violin style runs to guitar.

There is tonnes of passion and emotion in Malmsteens playing. Just in a different way. Some people just fail to see that........they never get past the "he plays so fast for no reason" thing and then run off to listen to jerry garcia or something.

can't believe im defending the fat bastard. :rolleyes:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
probably bo rhap...although any of yngwie malmsteens stuff is pretty trippy

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:

Malmsteen always seems like the easy target. I don't even really like malmsteen but some of the stuff said here is so typical. Passionless, no emotion, cold.

Malmsteen plays fast not because he thinks "im gonna get everybody to look at me because i play guitar so fast". The style of music he plays is fucking neo-classical. You think he could get away with having a lil pentatonic wank ala angus young? It would not fit the music at all. He plays the way he does cuz it fits the style of music perfectly.

Malmsteen doesn't come up with the runs he does with difficulty in mind. He's not thinking "how could i make this lick more difficult". Have you ever heard violin in classical music. Translated to guitar the note choice may seem unconventional or perhaps.........maybe even difficult to perform. Virtuoso violinists such as Paganni or whatever are Malmsteens greatest influences. He was the first to bring fiery violin style runs to guitar.

There is tonnes of passion and emotion in Malmsteens playing. Just in a different way. Some people just fail to see that........they never get past the "he plays so fast for no reason" thing and then run off to listen to jerry garcia or something.

Haha, my main beef with him is that i wish i was that good :(

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i really love the guitar in Queen's songs. Especially we will rock you. I dont normally apprieciate guitars, but this is good.

iwannarock

HSC
AsyLum said:
Haha, my main beef with him is that i wish i was that good :(
i think deep down........everyone that bashes him.......including myself.........really wish they were that good.

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:

You just hit the nail on the head SO FUCKING hard.

*salutes you and your apparently Twisted Sister inspired name*

And just for the record, anyone who calls Ship Of Fools "cold and clinical" is just plain foolish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)