group assessment (1 Viewer)

L-esky

HSC
I just recieved an e-mail from a local Woolworths store asking me to come in for a group assessment next week. I was just wondering has anyone else on here ever had to go to one of them for a job at woolies or coles etc? If so, have you got any good advice for me?
I desperately need job because I feel so bad making my parents give me money for anything I wanna do.
Also, what sort of clothes should I wear? Yeah, basically I just need advice and stuff.
I hope you can help me.

pezdog

HSC
Make sure you talk to the other people there heaps.....they are looking to see how you interact with the other people in the group. They dont really care what your answers are as such, more how good your communication skills are.

XPIOTOS

HSC
Yes, it's not that hard. Pezdog is right, they're looking at your communication skills more than anything. Be polite, be friendly, and smile.

They'll tell you a little about the company (when I did mine they went over rates of pay and things like that as well). We were paired up and had to ask our partners questions, then introduce them to the rest of the group. We also did a group task, where we were given a scenario (EG there are 3 trolley registers open, and 3 on express. one of the express people is new and slow, the trolley lines all of a sudden get very long. one person who is experienced on the registers is doing an urgent but simple task somewhere else in the store, then a customer spills tomato sauce all over the floor and it needs to be cleaned up right away so no one slips. what do you do to solve these problems? -> my group said to get the new person to clean the spill quickly, then go and do the simple but urgent task, get the person who was doing that on a trolley lane, call for help from another department if you need to, or something like that.) We also did a short test - really easy. Very basic maths (normal cash handling stuff "$20 - $7 =" type thing).

Group assessments aren't hard. Just be friendly and polite. And at a Woolworths interview it's best to wear formal clothes. Wear something very neat, simple, dark colours. If you want to make yourself stand out wear a brighter colourful tie or necklace or something - just keep that part very simple. Managers at Woolworths used to complain about people who wore jeans or sneakers to an interview. They tend not to like it.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
By the looks of some of the people working at Coles/Woolworths it shouldn't be hard to get a job!

You've got one plus already: you can write in english, I hope you can converse in just as easier a manner.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
XPIOTOS said:
Yes, it's not that hard. Pezdog is right, they're looking at your communication skills more than anything. Be polite, be friendly, and smile.

They'll tell you a little about the company (when I did mine they went over rates of pay and things like that as well). We were paired up and had to ask our partners questions, then introduce them to the rest of the group. We also did a group task, where we were given a scenario (EG there are 3 trolley registers open, and 3 on express. one of the express people is new and slow, the trolley lines all of a sudden get very long. one person who is experienced on the registers is doing an urgent but simple task somewhere else in the store, then a customer spills tomato sauce all over the floor and it needs to be cleaned up right away so no one slips. what do you do to solve these problems? -> my group said to get the new person to clean the spill quickly, then go and do the simple but urgent task, get the person who was doing that on a trolley lane, call for help from another department if you need to, or something like that.) We also did a short test - really easy. Very basic maths (normal cash handling stuff "$20 - $7 =" type thing).

Group assessments aren't hard. Just be friendly and polite. And at a Woolworths interview it's best to wear formal clothes. Wear something very neat, simple, dark colours. If you want to make yourself stand out wear a brighter colourful tie or necklace or something - just keep that part very simple. Managers at Woolworths used to complain about people who wore jeans or sneakers to an interview. They tend not to like it.
lol.

i wore jeans and shirt to my interview and needless to say, i got through. although it was more of a get to know one another interview as i already had basically got the job.

i never had to do a group assessment;; i just applied online; did the interview; went to induction and then off to work i went.

michael1990

HSC
Just make sure your're 'heard'.

You need to be a valid participant in the group assessment.

Its all about who works as a team, who takes the sit down aspect and is told what to do and who takes the leadership. So just make sure your're known to the assessors. But don't be a brown nose. And not so outspoken that everyone knows you. Act a little nervous as well. Because if your're not the assessor will see it as you have asked around and not gone into an environment you know nothing about.

CieL

HSC
Don't know much about the Woolies group assessment.

But at my Coles induction we were asked to wear black work pants and a white or black shirt.

HSC
XPIOTOS said:
We also did a short test - really easy. Very basic maths (normal cash handling stuff "$20 - $7 =" type thing).

Also, they are watching right from the moment you get there. So be friendly and polite when you tell them that you're there for an interview, when you sign in/out etc.

Another test that they might get you to do is to match the barcodes, eg you might be given 44852, and then its multiple choice:

(a) 44258, (b) 48524 (c), 44564 (d) 44852

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
michael1990 said:
Just make sure your're 'heard'.

You need to be a valid participant in the group assessment.

Its all about who works as a team, who takes the sit down aspect and is told what to do and who takes the leadership. So just make sure your're known to the assessors. But don't be a brown nose. And not so outspoken that everyone knows you. Act a little nervous as well. Because if your're not the assessor will see it as you have asked around and not gone into an environment you know nothing about.
just be urself. honestly; nothing wrong with being yourself unless you act like a total asshole to people.

XPIOTOS

HSC
shinji said:
lol.

i wore jeans and shirt to my interview and needless to say, i got through. although it was more of a get to know one another interview as i already had basically got the job.

i never had to do a group assessment;; i just applied online; did the interview; went to induction and then off to work i went.
haha fair enough. some managers care and others don't, although it probably means that you're good, more than it means that the manager didn't care. :)

michael1990

HSC
wuddie said:
can the mods move this to its relevant thread please?
Don't you mean revelant forum?

Well you just need to be heard. You need to be yourself, and have alright problem solving skills.

Pace_T

HSC
like another person said, try to get along really well with the other people in your boat in that little amount of time that you get to know them! good luck

CieL

HSC
babikakez said:
Another test that they might get you to do is to match the barcodes, eg you might be given 44852, and then its multiple choice:

(a) 44258, (b) 48524 (c), 44564 (d) 44852
lol shit you got to be retarded to not get that right.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
lol shit you got to be retarded to not get that right.
except there is 60 of those to be answered in 5 minutes and thye get harder.

The kid next to me did 18, i did 56 of them. Just take a quick look and find it, dont double check your answers. You might ge tthe odd one wrong, but you easily make up for it by doubling your answer speed.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
Don't you mean revelant forum?

Well you just need to be heard. You need to be yourself, and have alright problem solving skills.
Have you ever been to one ?

It's not a fucking party, they dont just sit you and a room and you talk. They make sure each person has to get up and a chance to speak. There is very little opportunity to be heard except in your alloted 30 seconds.

As someone else said, just be yourself, dont worry about trying to come across as the perfect candidate, its only woolworths.

michael1990

HSC
blakegman said:
Have you ever been to one ?

It's not a fucking party, they dont just sit you and a room and you talk. They make sure each person has to get up and a chance to speak. There is very little opportunity to be heard except in your alloted 30 seconds.

As someone else said, just be yourself, dont worry about trying to come across as the perfect candidate, its only woolworths.
You don't always get time to speak, its more about how you operate within a group.

I do group assessments and we don't always get them to talk. The only thing we get them to do is interview there allocated partner and tell the group why they should get the job, this is on the rare occasion.

They do try and make it as fun as possible. Just remember you are given situations where there are no right or wrong answers. They just want to evaluate your way of thinking. Mostly to observe your participation within the group.

Group assessments are usually with 20 or more people.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
You don't always get time to speak, its more about how you operate within a group.

I do group assessments and we don't always get them to talk. The only thing we get them to do is interview there allocated partner and tell the group why they should get the job, this is on the rare occasion.

They do try and make it as fun as possible. Just remember you are given situations where there are no right or wrong answers. They just want to evaluate your way of thinking. Mostly to observe your participation within the group.

Group assessments are usually with 20 or more people.
Where do you work. What a waste of time.

Arent you like 17, what the hell are you doing running group assesments. Not that they are particularly hard.

HSC
blakegman said:
except there is 60 of those to be answered in 5 minutes and thye get harder.

The kid next to me did 18, i did 56 of them. Just take a quick look and find it, dont double check your answers. You might ge tthe odd one wrong, but you easily make up for it by doubling your answer speed.
:uhhuh: thats right

michael1990

HSC
blakegman said:
Where do you work. What a waste of time.

Arent you like 17, what the hell are you doing running group assesments. Not that they are particularly hard.
I work at Greater Union. Yes I am 17, i know the business extremely well. This is why i am running group assessments. I also sign them off when i think they are up to scratch. Also existing staff members if they are not up to scratch i can tell them they are to do more training.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)