Guide to first few weeks of University for Engineering Kids (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
lol, got no idea who this blastus guy is, but his advice on programming is pretty spot on

a lot of academic stuff has been mentioned, omie touched a bit on social side. basically the first week or two of uni is this magical period where it is socially acceptable for you to talk to anyone you want to for absolutely no reason. a lot of people dont have friends yet and a lot of people are nervous about starting uni. if you approach and nicely introduce yourself they wont shut you down. after all 'a strangers just a friend you havent met', to borrow wisdom from a popular cartoon series (its almost like kindergarten where if you knew eachothers names, you were pretty much best friends lol)

at the end of week two, people have had tutorials/labs where it is easy to make friends and the magical period dies off

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Thx Blastus, tommykins and Omie Jay. You guys are fkn awesome.
Agreed.
And LordPc too.

Just a quick question if anyone knows (sorry bit offtopic): does uniwide "time out" after a while of inactivity? Keeps happening to me after 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

rubookmark

HSC
Uni Grad
lol, got no idea who this blastus guy is, but his advice on programming is pretty spot on

a lot of academic stuff has been mentioned, omie touched a bit on social side. basically the first week or two of uni is this magical period where it is socially acceptable for you to talk to anyone you want to for absolutely no reason. a lot of people dont have friends yet and a lot of people are nervous about starting uni. if you approach and nicely introduce yourself they wont shut you down. after all 'a strangers just a friend you havent met', to borrow wisdom from a popular cartoon series (its almost like kindergarten where if you knew eachothers names, you were pretty much best friends lol)

at the end of week two, people have had tutorials/labs where it is easy to make friends and the magical period dies off
So its awkward to go and talk to random strangers later in the semester? But I like crashing groups and just randomly start talking to anyone walking next to me. :(

As ppl have said, thank you for all the great advice. Want to rep you guys again......oh well

sinophile

HSC
N/A
thank you all, im feeling super motherfucking inspired, bitch!

kooltrainer

HSC
DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PLAGIARISING. NO. NO. NO. The programs they use will MAKE SURE YOU GET CAUGHT. Don't TRY IT.Any kind of information you get, write it down, learn how to reference. REFERENCE REFERENCE REFERENCE.
I dont think there is anything at all to plagiarise... Engineerings all about maths and calculations. Mayb plagiarism is more applicable to commerce or essay writing courses..

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
or copying ppl in exams.

watch this vid: YouTube - hero

that program that the evil lecturer is using to compare the 2 programming assignments is very very similar (if not the same) as how they actually check for plagiarism in computing subjects.

2 of my friends got caught like that when i did comp1911, both of their marks for their assignment was halved :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I dont think there is anything at all to plagiarise... Engineerings all about maths and calculations. Mayb plagiarism is more applicable to commerce or essay writing courses..
Computer coding/math coding.

Also, tutors can cross check between hand in assignments.

LordPc

HSC
or copying ppl in exams.

watch this vid: YouTube - hero

that program that the evil lecturer is using to compare the 2 programming assignments is very very similar (if not the same) as how they actually check for plagiarism in computing subjects.

2 of my friends got caught like that when i did comp1911, both of their marks for their assignment was halved :)
dont plagiarise especially in your comp courses. i do believe that CSE has the highest rate of plagiarism at unsw (or close to it) just because its so easy to copy your code into an email and send it to a friend. but everything you submit each week is done electronically, so its very easy for them to compare two students work week in week out without having to do much work

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Totally slipped my mind, you guys can also google the questions for the physics online quizzes and most of the time you'll get the answers to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)