hai guyz do u think we should tattoo DFEE on fee payin students foreheads? (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
loser101 said:
univeristies use discretionary powers all the time, you just dont know about it. most are rich pompus buch of pricks
Oh ok, I'll believe this based on anecdote... If a university were to grant some kid who'd recieved a low uai a place in a high-uai cut off course merely because their father had payed the university off it would be a frontpage story.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Enteebee said:
Oh ok, I'll believe this based on anecdote... If a university were to grant some kid who'd recieved a low uai a place in a high-uai cut off course merely because their father had payed the university off it would be a frontpage story.
Yeah, its pretty unfair - especially overseas students - they really piss me off. Anyway I dont think it would really matter if they got stamped - they're still doing the course and still will have the degree and probably will get the job they want - so even if we tattoo them it'll make no difference.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
pretty unlimited powers
How dare an institution use discretion in its admissions! To the High Court my friend!!!

Evilo

HSC
Enteebee said:
why disgrace your own university? i mean if someone slipped in $$$$$ for your new wing, and a bit into your pocket. Would you keep quiet about it?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Evilo said:
why disgrace your own university? i mean if someone slipped in $$$$$ for your new wing, and a bit into your pocket. Would you keep quiet about it?
I don't know how I'd react, but I agree there's a high chance people would take the money etc. But what I'm saying is, someone, somewhere who wouldn't be getting a kickback at some time would notice and it would get leaked to the press and they'd have a field day.

Evilo

HSC
the-derivative said:
so even if we tattoo them it'll make no difference.
Also we wouldn't know unless they told us.

As soon as they get to uni, everyone is on the same level field again. Id i'd say it would be alot harder for someone to make themselves 'higher' than everyone else when compared with school.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
imo people who are economically disadvantaged should have some kind of Educational Access Scheme to help them get into uni...

oh wait...

T

thegovernator

I know a DFEE paying student doing business/law at one of the major universities. All his 'friends' think he's just a 'little rich kid who's daddy bought him into the course'. However, he actually had some unfortunate personal circumstances during the HSC so didn't quite attain the cut-off for a HECS place. Now, judging by his marks in the first two years at uni, and from speaking to him, it looks as though he's shooting for the university medal, lol.

poppop

HSC
N/A
it's absolutely unfair, we worked hard to get here. It's a legalized bribery and some courses have cut-offs up to 10 points below the CSP/HECS, and that's LUDICROUS and UNFAIR for those who had to achieve that extra 10 marks so that they won't be a financial burden to their parents.

Lawl

HSC
poppop said:
it's absolutely unfair, we worked hard to get here. It's a legalized bribery and some courses have cut-offs up to 10 points below the CSP/HECS, and that's LUDICROUS and UNFAIR for those who had to achieve that extra 10 marks so that they won't be a financial burden to their parents.
10 points below? Evidence please. It'll really show whether UAC are bastards or not. And btw, just to clear up the notion of "OMGAHHH EAS, 10 UAI POINTS 4 U", people have been rejected from EAS and only in very special circumstances would they get 10 bonus points. I've heard someone only got 2 and 5. I've yet to hear a 10 bonus pointer person.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Regardless of how big or small the bonus is, fact of the matter is that kids with rich daddies are valued moreso than kids who may be smarter, without rich daddies. That is, on the most fundamental level, grossly unfair.

I mean, damnit, the idea is that you work hard for your place at university. Paying a hefty sum of cash because of circumstance is hardly difficult.

undalay said:
If you buy a "wing" for a university, i don't see whats wrong with giving their kid a spot.

I mean, that wing will be useful for other students, etc.

The endowment for australian universities is not enough.
Does this even happen in Australia? lol. Anyways, encouraging that type of benefactorism (is that a word?) isn't gonna help the situation in the long run. Sure, it'll make the university appear all flashy and nice, but the only peoples who'll be able to use it will be the kidz from Point Piper!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
This is the last year that DFEE enrolments will be allowed, most likely, so don't worry about it too much, guys.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Why was I not informed of this? :(
It's been Labor policy for years. They put out a press release a couple of months ago saying that they planned to phase DFEE out starting with 2009 admissions.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
The uni's will get more international students to replace the DFEE's though. It's not like there'll be many more CSP's going around.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'd rather a thousand fobs that can't speak english that ruin the whole experience of university with their ethnic foods and so on, than one dirty, dirty, dirty dfee student!

x-kendall-x

HSC
Lawl said:
10 points below? Evidence please. It'll really show whether UAC are bastards or not.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...095908939.html

I hope the government does phase out DFEE.
It an absolute joke that most DFEE courses are usually about 4-5 points lower than CSP courses. All it means is that those who can't afford to pay the full cost have to work that much harder to get into their course.

It's not a level playing field. It should be the same UAI cut-off for everyone regardless of your financial situation.

T

thegovernator

so essentially if/when dfee is stamped out, all of those dfee people will just go to private colleges?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
x-kendall-x said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...095908939.html

I hope the government does phase out DFEE.
It an absolute joke that most DFEE courses are usually about 4-5 points lower than CSP courses. All it means is that those who can't afford to pay the full cost have to work that much harder to get into their course.

It's not a level playing field. It should be the same UAI cut-off for everyone regardless of your financial situation.
You've made the mistake of constructing some sort of "DFEE is for rich people and CSP is for poor people" dichotomy; there are government loans for DFEE students, it's just if you're not good enough you have to actually pay for your degree instead of scabbing off the government. :D

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
You've made the mistake of constructing some sort of "DFEE is for rich people and CSP is for poor people" dichotomy; there are government loans for DFEE students, it's just if you're not good enough you have to actually pay for your degree instead of scabbing off the government. :D
exactly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)