Handwriting! (1 Viewer)

kimjuliana

HSC
So what would happen if the HSC markers couldn't read my handwriting? Would i get zero or would they give an low mark??? :(
This is my typical handwriting in an exam:

http://imgur.com/va02StX

p.s. My handwriting was actually way worse in the hsc than on the above link. :'(

Thanks

Frostbitten

HSC
So what would happen if the HSC markers couldn't read my handwriting? Would i get zero or would they give an low mark??? :(

p.s. My handwriting was actually way worse in the hsc than on the above link. :'(

Thanks
Don't feel so down, you can always go to TAFE. :)

Just joking, that handwriting is alright, from what my English teacher (she is in a HSC marking supervisor position) said is that if the writing is hard to read they will take their time and type it up as a word document then mark it from there.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Your handwriting is fine

If they can't read it, they will probably ask another person if they can read out what it says. :p

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't feel so down, you can always go to TAFE. :)

Just joking, that handwriting is alright, from what my English teacher (she is in a HSC marking supervisor position) said is that if the writing is hard to read they will take their time and type it up as a word document then mark it from there.
It's pretty easy to read tbh.

I heard last year that something like 3/70,000 people, they couldn't read their hand writing.

Doubt we can categorise you in the worst 3 people in the state.

ColdLipstick

HSC

Thanks
That's not that bad.
I can still read it :)
I've seen much worse and my teacher can read those (HSC marker) so don't worry.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have been marking the HSC for over 20 years now and they don't type up the responses, or get you in to read it. They read and mark what they can and award marks on that alone. They usually will allow you to sit with the SM and try to work out some of it but that is all.

With more and more being scanned the markers have the option to increase the size etc.

kimjuliana

HSC
o_O So what happens if they can't read it at all??? Do you give them a zero? Or a low mark, e.g. 11/20?

ColdLipstick

HSC
Damn, that sucks in a way that a marker could possibly have the option to ask the supervisor to help read some words/paragraphs yet probably move on because they can't be bothered to.

p.s. are the tests marked under supervision or can the markers take it home to mark?
I heard that HSC markers get paid roughly about $80/hour and the teachers who do HSC marking at my school said they love taking their time.
I guess that's expected.

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
I heard that HSC markers get paid roughly about $80/hour and the teachers who do HSC marking at my school said they love taking their time.
I guess that's expected.
I always thought they had a strict schedule they had to adhere to. They would be forced to stay overtime if they're behind or something like that.

To 'kim', don't worry. My handwriting was way worse than yours in English exam. Thought I was going to run out of time, so I wrote extra fast. Ended up having 5 minutes to spare, haha.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We currently mark most papers in a centre - such as Homebush - but that is changing to more and more being marked at home e.g. the core topics in both histories have been home marked, online, for a couple of years now.

We mark for four hours a night - 4 - 6.30 and 7.30 - 9.00. There is a broad expectation of around 12 - 15 essays an hour but that isn't rigid - so that if you don't manage that, but are accurate with you marking (and not really, really slow) the marker will be fine and some nights it just isn't possible to reach 48 due to length of responses, or difficult handwriting or for some other reason but the next night could see you have some really easy to mark centres and so could mark 70. On Saturday's it is a 7 hour marking day.

Please can I set your mind at rest about the 'not bothering' comment. In all my years and talking to many, many other markers over the years the one thing that we all say is that we do try to give as many marks as possible to all students - remember we are teachers ourselves and would like to think, if we have a student with difficult writing, that the teacher's who get out students will be given fair consideration and we do that for the scripts that come across our desks. We are professional in the way that we approach the marking and really are trying to justify giving marks.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Thanks
Brooooo you're handwriting is exactly the same as mine! You'll be fine :)

sarahabc123

HSC
N/A
I should be worried ... I can't even read my own handwriting, and my teachers have complained about the messiness too :(

bui123

HSC
My writing has been described as looking like occasional "heart beats". I am definitely screwed hahah

RayRay

HSC
It's pretty easy to read tbh.

I heard last year that something like 3/70,000 people, they couldn't read their hand writing.

Doubt we can categorise you in the worst 3 people in the state.
Where did u get that stat from?

Brooooo you're handwriting is exactly the same as mine! You'll be fine :)
Ok, that gives me some confidence.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I get told that my handwriting is like ants pooing on a page

That being said it's probably quite legible, just insanely small

Antjim

HSC
They should give us more time if they don't want to read messy writing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)