Handy Hints for the School Certificate (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
mikiiFMF said:
Do we have to write full sentences in the science SC? :confused:
No. But make sure you express your ideas clearly enough, especially in the 5+ mark questions. Dot-points work well for the extended response type questions (i.e. over half a page).

smile=D=D=D

HSC
WOAH pretty AWESOME tips
yayy soo gonna use them for my school cert, and i rkn to all those annoying ppl who laugh at u and tell u the sc is sooo easy

pfft well i think their sorta hard, so what, am i ultra stupid or something??

:burn:< heehee im not that angry, just putting it there cos it looks funny :p

speedofsound

HSC
smile=D=D=D said:
WOAH pretty AWESOME tips
yayy soo gonna use them for my school cert, and i rkn to all those annoying ppl who laugh at u and tell u the sc is sooo easy

pfft well i think their sorta hard, so what, am i ultra stupid or something??

:burn:< heehee im not that angry, just putting it there cos it looks funny :p
Excuse me for being nosey, but why did you pick all those subjects in your sig if they're so "eww"? lol

water89

HSC
Sounds elementary but write a conclusion in your history essay, I remember last year for my trials i scored 50/50 for my history examination and some girl bagged 49/50 guess what she forgot? hahah

smile=D=D=D

HSC
speedofsound said:
Excuse me for being nosey, but why did you pick all those subjects in your sig if they're so "eww"? lol
LOL i was forced =P

cos its totally gonna benefit my future *rolls eyes*

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
smile=D=D=D said:
LOL i was forced =P

cos its totally gonna benefit my future *rolls eyes*
hahaha lol

thats all i could think of it hahaha

guyrenner

HSC
you champion...just read through it, big help and i will take note for my sc's:cool:

Jumper :^)

HSC
So I just finally got myself an account on here and this thread is my first stop.
Thanks so much for this, Bored of SC! 'Twas a great help in the yearlies :^)

Edit: Hey just a question- in Geography extendeds (15 marks), I seem to notice that they'll ask you about two things... like last year it was Challenges related to human rights + Responses, and the year before it was population trends + implications. Just wondering- is it always like that?

Also does anyone know how I can answer fieldwork/field study-related questions without actually having done any fieldwork? Could be a problem haha :)

Last edited:

smile=D=D=D

HSC
Jumper :^) said:
So I just finally got myself an account on here and this thread is my first stop.
Thanks so much for this, Bored of SC! 'Twas a great help in the yearlies :^)

Edit: Hey just a question- in Geography extendeds (15 marks), I seem to notice that they'll ask you about two things... like last year it was Challenges related to human rights + Responses, and the year before it was population trends + implications. Just wondering- is it always like that?

Also does anyone know how I can answer fieldwork/field study-related questions without actually having done any fieldwork? Could be a problem haha :)
nahh its easy peasy, you just need to know the research action plan which is... i forgot. its just stuff like analyse and gathering data etc... look it up

everything else you can just bullshit

HSC
smile=D=D=D said:
nahh its easy peasy, you just need to know the research action plan which is... i forgot. its just stuff like analyse and gathering data etc... look it up

everything else you can just bullshit

queen freak

HSC
i really want to do score band 6's vos our school gives us scholarships!!!woow:) so yeah.... but i dont know i seem to keep doing silly mistakes!!!!! blekh

Mqt123

HSC
I'm in the same situation. I'm totally worried about the school certificate. Everybody keeps saying that it's easy and that you get scaled up - does anyone know anything about scaling?

bored of sc

HSC
Mqt123 said:
I'm in the same situation. I'm totally worried about the school certificate. Everybody keeps saying that it's easy and that you get scaled up - does anyone know anything about scaling?
It's not called scaling, it's called moderating. The board of studies adjusts students' marks to fit the standards which define a band. E.g. if 80% meets the standards for a band 6 then 80 would be aligned upwards to 90. The board of studies also tries ensure most people gain a band 2+. So you can basically ascertain that your raw marks will be bumped upwards.

HSC
hey can any of u guys upload ur short story for ur english trial. i heard that heaps of u got like 20/20 n 19/20 n i wanna know how to get grades like those

bored of sc

HSC
digimonstudent said:
hey can any of u guys upload ur short story for ur english trial. i heard that heaps of u got like 20/20 n 19/20 n i wanna know how to get grades like those
Here's one of mine. It's not 20/20 but it's okay. Actually, I wrote a shorter version of this in my year 10 trial and gained 19/20 so I guess it's okay.

HSC
digimonstudent said:
I seem to have lost my actual story, but here are some tips I used to write it:

1. Begin by describing the setting- This only has to take up a line or to but you should use lots of adjectives- maybe some metaphors or something too.
You don't need to actually state outright what the setting is- what you're trying to do is create an atmosphere.
Eg "A thin shaft of silver moonlight peirced the darkness, illuminating one small patch of carpet in the centre of the room."

Don't be afraid of using pretty language- but dont try to use words that you are not comfortable with either.

2. Your next sentence or sentences should introduce the main character- once again you don't have to be direct about it.
Eg. "To Dave's tired eyes, accustomed to the darkness, it seemed like a silent thunderbolt had struck the room, unbearably bright."

3. Then you can explain more about the character- why they are there, what they are doing, how they are feeling. You can also introduce other characters.

4. After that, description is no longer so important- using too much flowery language isn't good. So just get to writing about the events taking place in the story.

It's good to have a complication, rising action, climax, resolution etc but don't be too worried- it's only like a page and a half story.
You should always have some kind of conclusion though- and if possible make it an original conclusion. Best to avoid "then I woke up", "happily ever after" etc.

Disclaimer: this is only from my own experience and some teacher advice. I can't speak for SC markers here.
Anyway hope I helped. Good luck :)

HSC
Another question: In geographical issues, how exactly is "individual, group and gov. responses" different to "decision-making processes"?

Thanks if anyone can help

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Jumper :^) said:
I seem to have lost my actual story, but here are some tips I used to write it:

1. Begin by describing the setting- This only has to take up a line or to but you should use lots of adjectives- maybe some metaphors or something too.
You don't need to actually state outright what the setting is- what you're trying to do is create an atmosphere.
Eg "A thin shaft of silver moonlight peirced the darkness, illuminating one small patch of carpet in the centre of the room."

Don't be afraid of using pretty language- but dont try to use words that you are not comfortable with either.

2. Your next sentence or sentences should introduce the main character- once again you don't have to be direct about it.
Eg. "To Dave's tired eyes, accustomed to the darkness, it seemed like a silent thunderbolt had struck the room, unbearably bright."

3. Then you can explain more about the character- why they are there, what they are doing, how they are feeling. You can also introduce other characters.

4. After that, description is no longer so important- using too much flowery language isn't good. So just get to writing about the events taking place in the story.

It's good to have a complication, rising action, climax, resolution etc but don't be too worried- it's only like a page and a half story.
You should always have some kind of conclusion though- and if possible make it an original conclusion. Best to avoid "then I woke up", "happily ever after" etc.

Disclaimer: this is only from my own experience and some teacher advice. I can't speak for SC markers here.
Anyway hope I helped. Good luck :)
Nice guide, thanks for that Jumper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)