Handy Hints for the School Certificate (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Jumper :^) said:
Another question: In geographical issues, how exactly is "individual, group and gov. responses" different to "decision-making processes"?

Thanks if anyone can help
Here's my assignment on Byron Bay. Pages 6 and 7 have what you are looking for.

HSC
I seem to have lost my actual story, but here are some tips I used to write it:

1. Begin by describing the setting- This only has to take up a line or to but you should use lots of adjectives- maybe some metaphors or something too.
You don't need to actually state outright what the setting is- what you're trying to do is create an atmosphere.
Eg "A thin shaft of silver moonlight peirced the darkness, illuminating one small patch of carpet in the centre of the room."

Don't be afraid of using pretty language- but dont try to use words that you are not comfortable with either.

2. Your next sentence or sentences should introduce the main character- once again you don't have to be direct about it.
Eg. "To Dave's tired eyes, accustomed to the darkness, it seemed like a silent thunderbolt had struck the room, unbearably bright."

3. Then you can explain more about the character- why they are there, what they are doing, how they are feeling. You can also introduce other characters.

4. After that, description is no longer so important- using too much flowery language isn't good. So just get to writing about the events taking place in the story.

It's good to have a complication, rising action, climax, resolution etc but don't be too worried- it's only like a page and a half story.
You should always have some kind of conclusion though- and if possible make it an original conclusion. Best to avoid "then I woke up", "happily ever after" etc.

Disclaimer: this is only from my own experience and some teacher advice. I can't speak for SC markers here.
Anyway hope I helped. Good luck :)

thanks that sure helps alot.

HSC
bored of sc said:
Here's one of mine. It's not 20/20 but it's okay. Actually, I wrote a shorter version of this in my year 10 trial and gained 19/20 so I guess it's okay.
thanks for the help. great story btw.

HSC
I seem to have lost my actual story, but here are some tips I used to write it:

1. Begin by describing the setting- This only has to take up a line or to but you should use lots of adjectives- maybe some metaphors or something too.
You don't need to actually state outright what the setting is- what you're trying to do is create an atmosphere.
Eg "A thin shaft of silver moonlight peirced the darkness, illuminating one small patch of carpet in the centre of the room."

Don't be afraid of using pretty language- but dont try to use words that you are not comfortable with either.

2. Your next sentence or sentences should introduce the main character- once again you don't have to be direct about it.
Eg. "To Dave's tired eyes, accustomed to the darkness, it seemed like a silent thunderbolt had struck the room, unbearably bright."

3. Then you can explain more about the character- why they are there, what they are doing, how they are feeling. You can also introduce other characters.

4. After that, description is no longer so important- using too much flowery language isn't good. So just get to writing about the events taking place in the story.

It's good to have a complication, rising action, climax, resolution etc but don't be too worried- it's only like a page and a half story.
You should always have some kind of conclusion though- and if possible make it an original conclusion. Best to avoid "then I woke up", "happily ever after" etc.

Disclaimer: this is only from my own experience and some teacher advice. I can't speak for SC markers here.
Anyway hope I helped. Good luck :)

hey i've noticed that many kids tend to give their stories a cliffhanger ending. is that alright?

Jumper :^)

HSC
digimonstudent said:
hey i've noticed that many kids tend to give their stories a cliffhanger ending. is that alright?
I think the most important thing is to make sure that your ending doesn't look unfinished.

Make sure you have a conclusion of some kind, because that shows that you were able to develop your ideas properly all the way through. You can't end your story at the climax- because technically that's only half a story.

It could be tough to have both a cliffhanger ending and a decent conclusion, but hey go ahead if you can manage it :)

HSC
Ok I have another question:
When writing about geographical issues am I meant to refer to one specific area only (like Bored of SC's report on Byron Bay) or is it ok to talk about the issue in general, and general responses to it?

Please someone tell me it's the second option.

studentcheese

HSC
Ok I have another question:
When writing about geographical issues am I meant to refer to one specific area only (like Bored of SC's report on Byron Bay) or is it ok to talk about the issue in general, and general responses to it?

Please someone tell me it's the second option.
Depends on the question. If the question asks you to refer to a specific location or fieldwork you have done, then you can refer to Byron Bay. If not, then talk about the issue in general.

HSC
studentcheese said:
Depends on the question. If the question asks you to refer to a specific location or fieldwork you have done, then you can refer to Byron Bay. If not, then talk about the issue in general.
Ok, so:

"Refer to a geographical issue that you have investigated through fieldwork.
(a) Identify the purpose of the fieldwork investigation."

In this question obviously I would be referring directly to actual fieldwork.

"(b) Identify TWO specific groups and outline the actions that they could
take to respond to this issue
."
This still confuses me- is it ok to just pick two groups out of the air (like "residents" and "the local council") and give a few possible courses of action, or should I still be referring to the same exact situation that I studied through fieldwork?

I probably sound very stupid but I really dont get this :p

studentcheese

HSC
Ok, so:

"Refer to a geographical issue that you have investigated through fieldwork.
(a) Identify the purpose of the fieldwork investigation."

In this question obviously I would be referring directly to actual fieldwork.

"(b) Identify TWO specific groups and outline the actions that they could
take to respond to this issue
."
This still confuses me- is it ok to just pick two groups out of the air (like "residents" and "the local council") and give a few possible courses of action, or should I still be referring to the same exact situation that I studied through fieldwork?

I probably sound very stupid but I really dont get this :p
In (a) - yes. Refer to actual fieldwork
In (b) - yes. Pick two groups out of the air. The question asks about the actions two groups took to respond to the geographical issue. It doesn't ask about your investigation. If you were to write about the exact same situation that you studied through fieldwork, the question would be phrased as, 'Outline the actions taken to manage the problems in your fieldwork location.' :rolleyes:

HSC
studentcheese said:
In (a) - yes. Refer to actual fieldwork
In (b) - yes. Pick two groups out of the air. The question asks about the actions two groups took to respond to the geographical issue. It doesn't ask about your investigation. If you were to write about the exact same situation that you studied through fieldwork, the question would be phrased as, 'Outline the actions taken to manage the problems in your fieldwork location.' :rolleyes:
Ok thanks very much for your help and patience :)
I'm just kind of having a mini-freakout here about geo study. Time to get out of the house I think.

simple-love-x3

HSC
thanks for the tips.
I'm freaking out about it as well.
Everyone's like "oooh , it's impossible to fail"
except I did past papers.. it's harder than I thought it'd be.
*pulls hair out and runs around in circles*
ah well. goodluck everyone =)

jonjoony

HSC
Thanks for the help. School Certificate is tomorrow for me. English First then Science...Why do they make science so hard for lol Back to studying:read:

willma88

HSC
yeah. same for me tomoz.

ive heard its easy as anything.

how accurate is it?

gella

HSC
wooo. im ready to totally fuck science up tomorow :D

Fly Kite

HSC
glhf
science doesnt seem that hard i only got like 4 wrong in multi-choice..
and im a dumbass who hasnt studied but has done the multichoice of the 2007 and 2006 science sc.

Cramkid

HSC
I'm hoping they'll scale me up a shitload and I can look smarter than I perceive to be ;)
I can't remember anything, I haven't studied at all.. I mean I've done a few test-yourself qs on the BOS website but other than that, nothing.
PLUS I've had no time to study this past week because of various complications and I've had to work both saturday and today a late shift '-.-

Cannot wait until this is over. Oh the joy

specks

HSC
This has got to be the single most helpful piece of information on the School Certificate i have ever read.

Shows the lack of understanding by the state school teachers. All they ever say is 'Go over everything' and/ or 'The exam won't be the same as last years'. Like, thank you for stating the obvious Captain Useless.

You actually increased the chance of me getting a good band. Congratulations. :)

HSC
Um, may not be the bast place or time to ask but can anyone explain to me what is meant by "implications of strategies" and "strategies that promote a better future" in human rights and reconciliation in geography?

Do they relate to both human rights and reconciliation?

bluedolphin

HSC
you need to know only one out of human rights and reconciliation
know the implications etc for one (our school is doing human rights)
if they ask something about the other one, it will be in the multiple choice

Good Luck ! *goes back to freaking out* i think i took sc too lightly -- my mum was saying ... i of course didnt listen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)