Hard test compared to other year? (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I personally thought it was a very poorly written exam. The content itself wasn't hard, but the wording of the question was not up-to-scratch imo.

Most people aren't confident with their performance in the exam, I know I didn't do as well as I would have hoped. Personally, because globalisation is a topic close to my heart, I was very disappointed with this exam and I think it would have been the hardest business studies examination of this decade.

sickk

HSC
A tip is to know what is happening in the business world around you. (E.g read the business paper, research, etc.)

BOS always chuck in a question which allows higher-end students to apply knowledge of the current "business/employment" environment to a question

This year, they did this through the business report, asking about influences of employment relations, FROM 2010-2012.

This is the time hwne Workchoice will be phased out, and the Fair Work Act (2009) will be primary.
sorry but this bit isnt in the syllabus and as such is not what they were after, with regards to the influence on ER, that would be social(changing work patterns, population shifts), legal (all the legislation) etc

Eddykungfu

HSC
sorry but this bit isnt in the syllabus and as such is not what they were after, with regards to the influence on ER, that would be social(changing work patterns, population shifts), legal (all the legislation) etc
Exactly, and it is a change in the legislation - therefore direct influence on a businesses Employment relations.

Every year They ALWAYS do this in order to test your knowledge of the business environment. I talked about this under Legal influences.
I always went into detail with previous/syllabus legislative syllabus points, and also Social influences.

They want to see more than just students wrote learning the syllabus + notes.

This applies, of course to sections 3 + 4.

Short answers should follow the syllabus strictly.

2pmhottest

HSC
this year's test is harder by far...

why can't they ask any of the bloody legal things of business...

anyway yea it was pretty hard

let's just hope

sickk

HSC
thats true yes, i called the HSC advice line last night and the very helpful person on the line said you cant be penalised for not refering to FWA, and if you were to make reference to IRC you wouldnt be penalised either, but yes refering to FWA under legal influences would be correct

but at the same time you have to rememebr how the FWA doesnt take over all functions until 1st of JAN, so right now its sitll in the iplementation stage

Eddykungfu

HSC
Which is why in the stimulus it stated:
It has Three Business OBjectives for 2010-2012

Wouldn't put that in for no reason :p.

Meh, maybe my teachers wrong.. Hes only marked the hsc for 2 years.

Meh just drop it lol. Either way one of us is going to be right.

Last edited:

sickk

HSC
iv heard my teacher say it to lol, i thought they only had 2010-2012 because we learnt this whole year goals have to be SMART and part of that is within a timeframe, so it wuold be hipocritical to have objectives without timeframes, fuck it, were right, bos is wrong lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^Guys, I am not sure how legal aspect of the ER is relevant here. It wasn't asked. But even if it was asked, it's totally fine to stick to just AIRC and Workplace Relations Act 1996 - according to my teacher who has already finished his senior marker job (for 16 years)

i would say the paper was relatively challenging. The questions were different from the conventional syllabus regurgitation type questions. In a way it could be beneficial, business could finally get the scaling/aligning it deserves.

On the whole definately unique, and hard to predict what kind of aspects the markers are looking for (was there a new biz commitee this year?)

social responsibility was still a major component of the biz report. Didn't like that. The integration of 3 aspects in the final extended response would definately be the decider. I did question 28 and can honestly say i tried my best to draw out the implications of how the marketing planning process and market research synergise to meet the financial goals of a business. What question did you do?

O yes and definately not my best paper. Hard to predict what i would get though, since the paper/marking scheme had a relatively different approach.

what mark (raw) are you looking at?
97+

Last edited:

sickk

HSC
there was on part that just mentioned 2 key influences on ER and we were just debating whether or not FWA takign over should be under a legal/political sub heading

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
^Guys, I am not sure how legal aspect of the ER is relevant here. It wasn't asked. But even if it was asked, it's totally fine to stick to just AIRC and Workplace Relations Act 1996 - according to my teacher who has already finished his senior marker job (for 16 years)

97+
WOW :jaw:

what do you think you got wrong?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^case studies wasn't particularly strong. Talked about primary data collection - observation, survey method which includes mechanical observation, personal observation, personal interview, questionaire. Also talked about secondyar data collection - internal and external.

Then talked about financial objectives. But they weren't very strong.

there was on part that just mentioned 2 key influences on ER and we were just debating whether or not FWA takign over should be under a legal/political sub heading
Oh yeah that makes sense. I did Economic and Social influences.

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
Which is why in the stimulus it stated:
It has Three Business OBjectives for 2010-2012

Wouldn't put that in for no reason :p.

Meh, maybe my teachers wrong.. Hes only marked the hsc for 2 years.

Meh just drop it lol. Either way one of us is going to be right.
Don't you think an international expansion in 2009 would be a bit unrealistic? Hence the reason why the did wrote 3 years. Has nothing to do with what you are talking about, just making the question realistic.

Eddykungfu

HSC
Lol I guess thats true too.
Meh we all have our own ideas/values about things, hence creating conflicting perspectives :p. (English)
ha

sickk

HSC
theres no right/wrong answer, its open ended, which is why there is such a wide range of responses on here, everyone of which will score marks

I Study Hard

HSC
A tip is to know what is happening in the business world around you. (E.g read the business paper, research, etc.)

BOS always chuck in a question which allows higher-end students to apply knowledge of the current "business/employment" environment to a question

This year, they did this through the business report, asking about influences of employment relations, FROM 2010-2012.

This is the time hwne Workchoice will be phased out, and the Fair Work Act (2009) will be primary.
OMG I didn't even think of the FWA x_x
And i did the FWA not only in business but also in Legal Studies AND Economics =(

Kupo

HSC
In my opinion, i reckon it was alright. Yes even though a lot of things wasn't tested, it was still good. Like I think we are the last year to do this syllabus so i had a feeling where the BOS would give us left over of the syllabus like Research market process and the financial planning cycle and etc. Like they didnt do effective managment or effectve er or those effectiveness because they've already done it in the past. More emphasis on ethical and social responsibilities though. So in saying, if you study your syllabus, then you should be fine.

elliegrace

HSC
I would say the paper was relatively challenging. The questions were different from the conventional syllabus regurgitation type questions. In a way it could be beneficial, business could finally get the scaling/aligning it deserves.

On the whole definately unique, and hard to predict what kind of aspects the markers are looking for (was there a new biz commitee this year?)

Social responsibility was still a major component of the biz report. Didn't like that. The integration of 3 aspects in the final extended response would definately be the decider. I did question 28 and can honestly say I tried my best to draw out the implications of how the marketing planning process and market research synergise to meet the financial goals of a business. What question did you do?

O yes and DEFINATELY not my best paper. Hard to predict what I would get though, since the paper/marking scheme had a relatively different approach.

What mark (raw) are you looking at?
my teacher said there was a new committe.
the whole feel of the paper was different.
i struggles in the extended response to link market research and marketing plan to achivening objectives was on overall bad paper.

micuzzo

HSC
i dunno man... i dont think ur techer has enough experience...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)